Simplicity 860DLX Drive repair experience - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-16-2016, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 1
Smile Simplicity 860DLX Drive repair experience

I own this model, too, having inherited it a few years back from my Mom when her husband, a pretty handy guy known for keeping up his gear, died. It seemed mint, particularly the engine, and performed well for a year or two in heavy Northern Wisconsin winters over at my house, where the driveway is 1700 feet of up and down and around.
Eventually, the friction disc began to slide toward the center of the drive plate, and I lost the use of most gears, but I stupidly continued to use it until all forward motion died and I had to run it back to the garage in reverse, chewing up the thrust collars, pin-loop and set collar against something black that holds the shift rod. Ugh.
I ordered those parts, readily available and reasonably priced from Parts Tree (highly recommended), and after much trial and error got it all back together and running, although shifting the forward gears was not very fluid. That year (2013-14) was a doozy for snow, and the repairs began to fail in short order.
Early on, I had fiddled with the cable adjuster turnbuckles on the 5 forward/1 reverse shift until they got so far to the end of the thread that I can't really change the shift throw without starting over, and I have no real base-line to work from. I just ran it in 4th and reverse, and the season passed.
Last season, the snow was less, but the failure came quickly. Against my wife's better judgement, I hauled the thing to town for an expensive, time-consuming repair at a well-regarded equipment dealer. We certainly could have bought a new blower in the medium range for what we paid to have the same failures reoccur. They had also replaced the friction disc, which had considerable wear on the rubber edge, and was said to be the cause of the urge to slip to the center of the drive disc. It worked so well that I had to replace the auger and drive belts when they immediately failed.
Well, it wasn't the friction disc. The darn thing ran once this year, in a mere 8" snowfall, and the gears immediately went to one. I got it back out to mess with last week and we're down to reverse. The loop pin and set collar were half chewed up when the pin came out of the housing again, and I ordered them once more.
The parts came today, and I wonder if anyone has any idea's on how to stop this nonsense from recurring. I want to keep my Mom's gift, but I'm ready to throw in the towel and buy a gear-on-gear drive, 250cc Brute (Briggs/Menards) before I go back to the dealer and spend the same money on a lost cause.

Thanks for listening to me vent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5782.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	72521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5755.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	72529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5754.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	72537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6142.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	72545  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-16-2016, 09:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 46
Likes (Received): 30
Wilfred, I'm afraid your friction disc and shaft appears absent without leave.....
post #3 of 17 Old 01-16-2016, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
to the forum wilfredjr

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-17-2016, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by toroused View Post
Wilfred, I'm afraid your friction disc and shaft appears absent without leave.....
Ha! Forgot to include the gory details…

The friction disc edge has little loss, but there is some black deposit on the drive disc.
The set screw collar is really chewed, almost to the set screws
The old collar set screws seemed tight when I removed them, and were not re-ordered. I can't get them any tighter with my tiny Allen wrench.
The plastic thrust collars seem basically worthless as retainers
If I remember right, the ground-off pin-loop end was still held in the little rotating ball socket on the armature, indicating the friction disc slippage occurred beforehand.

Any speculation appreciated… Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6242.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	72593  
post #5 of 17 Old 01-17-2016, 12:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Welcome to the forum wilfred!

You should start your own thread. Go into either the Simplicity or Repair subforum and click the "New Thread" button at the top.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-17-2016, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Simple mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
Welcome to the forum wilfred!

You should start your own thread. Go into either the Simplicity or Repair subforum and click the "New Thread" button at the top.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't mean to intrude.
I was just amazed to find an existing one for my very model and thought there would be a ready audience.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #7 of 17 Old 01-17-2016, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Simplicity 860DLX Drive repair experience

I really want to keep this beast, having inherited it a few years back from my Mom when her husband, a pretty handy guy known for keeping up his gear, died. It seemed mint, particularly the engine, and performed well for a year or two in heavy Northern Wisconsin winters over at my house, where the driveway is 1700 feet of up and down and around.
Eventually, the friction disc began to slide toward the center of the drive plate, and I lost the use of most "gears", but I stupidly continued to use it until all forward motion died and I had to run it back to the garage in reverse, chewing up the thrust collars, pin-loop and set collar against the black armature that holds the shift rod. Ugh.
I ordered those parts, readily available and reasonably priced from Parts Tree (highly recommended), and after much trial and error got it all back together and running, although shifting the forward gears was not very fluid. That year (2013-14) was a doozy for snow, and the repairs began to fail in short order.
Early on, I had fiddled with the cable adjuster turnbuckles on the 5 forward/1 reverse shift until they got so far to the end of the thread that I can't really change the shift throw without starting over, and I have no real base-line to work from. I just ran it in 4th and reverse, and the season passed.
Last season, the snow was less, but the failure came quickly. Against my wife's better judgement, I hauled the thing to town for an expensive, time-consuming repair at a well-regarded equipment dealer. We certainly could have bought a new blower in the medium range for what we paid to have the same failures reoccur. They had also replaced the friction disc, which had considerable wear on the rubber edge, and was said to be the cause of the urge to slip to the center of the drive disc. It worked so well that I had to replace the auger and drive belts when they immediately failed.
Well, it wasn't the friction disc. The darn thing ran once this year, in a mere 8" snowfall, and the gears immediately went to one. I got it back out to mess with last week and we're down to reverse. The loop pin and set collar were half chewed up when the pin came out of the housing again, and I ordered them once more.
The parts came Saturday, and I wonder if anyone has any idea's on how to stop this from recurring. I want to keep my Mom's gift, but I'm ready to throw in the towel and buy a gear-on-gear drive, 250cc Brute (Briggs/Menards) before I go back to the dealer and spend the same money on a lost cause. Thanks for listening to me vent.
Gory details:
The friction disc edge has little loss, but there is some black deposit on the drive disc.
The set screw collar is really chewed, almost to the set screws.
The old collar set screws seemed snug when I removed them, and were not re-ordered. A certain torque is mentioned on the Partstree order page:
order page
But I haven't the tool for it. I can't get them any tighter with my tiny Allen wrench.
The plastic thrust collars seem basically worthless, and disintegrate fast.
If I remember right, the ground-off pin-loop end was still held in the little rotating ball socket on the armature, indicating the friction disc slippage occurred beforehand. So it must be the set screws going loose, right?

Any speculation appreciated… Thanks

Last edited by wilfredjr; 01-17-2016 at 05:13 PM. Reason: photos added again
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks classiccat thanked for this post
post #8 of 17 Old 01-17-2016, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Photo's appear here:
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...860-dlx-2.html
I was advised to start my own thread and can''t get the photos to reappear
post #9 of 17 Old 01-17-2016, 05:44 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 588
Garage
i would start by replacing the parts that you know are fubar'd, and while its apart, clean things up, and apply a thin coat of white lithium grease to everywhere applicable. from the pics , lubrication has been neglected. jmo

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks wilfredjr thanked for this post
Likes wilfredjr liked this post
post #10 of 17 Old 01-17-2016, 06:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfredjr View Post
Photo's appear here:
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...860-dlx-2.html
I was advised to start my own thread and can''t get the photos to reappear
here are the pics from the other thread wilfredjr. Really nice machine...and some great scenery! You'll get it sorted out...these things are tanks!

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-08-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks wilfredjr thanked for this post
Likes wilfredjr liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page