Keep popping Headlight Bulbs on Signature Pro - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Keep popping Headlight Bulbs on Signature Pro

Got a 24" Simplicity Signature Pro Snowblower with the Heated Grips, Electric Chute Rotation, and Headlight.

Last year, towards the end of the season, the Headlight Bulb burned out. Replaced it with another bulb, but the first time I went to use the Snowblower, the bulb popped again.

Just figured I got a bad bulb, bought another one and bought a "Long Life" bulb because I figured the vibration might have something to do with the bulbs popping. Started the Blower and the light worked, so I figured I had the problem solved.

First time I used the Blower this season, the bulb popped again, and I could smell a faint burning smell. It crossed my mind that the bulb might be getting too much voltage, but the other electrical things (Heated Grips and Chute Rotation) were working fine.

Just to be sure, I put a voltmeter on the connections for the bulb to check voltage. No wonder the poor little bulb kept popping, it was getting about 52 volts! Still don't understand why the other electrical items didn't blow, I guess they can take the extra voltage better than the bulb can.

Have a new Voltage Regulator on order to the tune of $50.00

Hopefully that solves the problem, will find out Friday
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks osrental thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Regulator

Welcome.

Being you bought that machine not that long ago, is that covered by a warranty? Crappy when things go bad that way but good that you found it now rather than later.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 02:16 AM

Location: In the land of slush on the shores of Long Island Sound in CT
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
I'd the same thing happen on nearly the same model machine (mines a bit older). I've been so busy trying to find a cab and make the "Universal" one work I haven't even started diddling with the light.
A dead light was the least of my issues with this machine.

Thanks for the smarts though, I appreciate your being kind enough to share 'em
I'll be on it this weekend - outside - at 25deg grrrrr
post #4 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
Welcome.

Being you bought that machine not that long ago, is that covered by a warranty? Crappy when things go bad that way but good that you found it now rather than later.
Wish it was still under warranty, but I bought it in 2007.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcintosh View Post
I'd the same thing happen on nearly the same model machine (mines a bit older). I've been so busy trying to find a cab and make the "Universal" one work I haven't even started diddling with the light.
A dead light was the least of my issues with this machine.

Thanks for the smarts though, I appreciate your being kind enough to share 'em
Wonder if this was an issue with this machine?

I like it, and it's nice having all the electrical doo dads, but there are more things to go wrong. Guess we just have to take the good with the bad.

I wasn't so concerened with the light, but I was worried that all that extra voltage that the Regulator is kicking out would eventually fry the Heated Grips and the motor for the Chute rotation. And those would not be cheap repairs.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 08:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Temp

Quote:
Could be worse, it was -14 here this morning and no snow to speak of. Can you say "frozen pipes"? I'm starting to see ads on the TV for companies that will come out and thaw out pipes for the first time.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-26-2012, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Just wanted to let everyone know that the new Voltage Regulator fixed the problem.

Just wish I would have figured it out before spending about $30.00 replacing bulbs
post #8 of 12 Old 01-26-2012, 11:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
That sucks but glad to hear you got it fixed!
post #9 of 12 Old 02-02-2012, 08:52 AM

Location: In the land of slush on the shores of Long Island Sound in CT
Post Thanks / Like
So Just How Important is that V/R?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Dog View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that the new Voltage Regulator fixed the problem.

Just wish I would have figured it out before spending about $30.00 replacing bulbs
I'm not really a electrical guy but I've been wondering, since I have no other electrical accessories (starter's 120v so no battery) on my SimpleCity blower and it's already blown the light bulb, how critical is it that I replace the voltage regulator?
Assuming it's the V/R of course.
I don't run it much and since the light went I've been avoiding running it at all which will kill it quicker than anything.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-02-2012, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I'm not really a electrical guy but I've been wondering, since I have no other electrical accessories (starter's 120v so no battery) on my SimpleCity blower and it's already blown the light bulb, how critical is it that I replace the voltage regulator?
Assuming it's the V/R of course.
I don't run it much and since the light went I've been avoiding running it at all which will kill it quicker than anything.
My guess is, that in your case, the bulb just burned out. Probably just pop a new bulb in and you'll be fine. To be sure, if you can get hold of a DC voltage tester, start the blower and test the voltage at the Bulb contacts. Should be somewhere in the range of 12-14 volts.

I was concerned about the extra voltage frying the Heated Grips and the Chute Rotator Motor. I could also smell a faint burning smell, but I'm not really sure where it was coming from.

If the Voltage Regulator is bad, I would replace it, all that extra voltage can't be good for the wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page