LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-04-2016, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
Simplicity Sno-Way

I just acquired a Simplicity Sno-Way with a 28" wide bucket. Simplicity is new to me let alone a 40 yr old machine. It Looks solid and all in tact. The model ID is 643-004553. It has a Briggs Engine: 170402 1131-01
from the date code it was built in 1971.

I was thinking it would be a good summer project to resurrect it. But lately I have so many other things to work on I will likely put it on CL and sell it as a parts or fixer upper machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2643 (800x600).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	87809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2650 (800x600).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	87817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2651 (800x600).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	87825  

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator

Last edited by Toro-8-2-4; 07-16-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-16-2016, 12:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Congrats on your recent find! I have the baby brother to yours in 22", and it works surprisingly well for its age. :-0

post #3 of 7 Old 07-16-2016, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
A little bit of clean up and it should be good to go as a user or a flipper.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-16-2016, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hey how does that chute control work in a real snow storm. I have never seen this wire cable control before. I am wondering if snow/ice will muck up it working properly?

This machine has the rubber wipers on the impeller. Impeller kit installed from the factory. Does yours have it?

Also how is the engine? Powerful enough to move this tank of machine around and eat through the EOD stuff?

I am still debating on what to do with it.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

post #5 of 7 Old 07-17-2016, 11:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
there are some similarities to my allis tracker (same engine & chute, similar transmission but the tracker has a traditional 2nd stage/impeller).

the chute mechanism works surprisingly well. I thought I would have carpo-tunnel after turning that crank but it actually moves easily once it's cleaned/lubed.

the taller/narrow chute makes a nice, tight plume compared to other chutes of that era.

I see yours is missing at least one of the nuts. these big wing-nuts are awesome for quick adjustments without tools.

I can't really speak for the capability since I haven't had a real storm to test it in and my engine needs a new exhaust valve guide.

IMO, the machine is definitely worthy of getting it into a running state so that you can determine if it suits your needs! I can tell you that they're built like tanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #6 of 7 Old 07-17-2016, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Classic, thanks for that info. I thought it was kinda odd that there was not some kind of a hand adjustment on the chute. Thanks for that link. Do you have a source for parts for that thing?

I will tell you for sure This Simplicity is built like a tank. It is a bit tough to move it around. I need to unlock one of the wheels so I can do that easier.

One question I have and never thought of it until now. This Briggs engine was made in the Leaded gas days. How will an engine of this era run on Unleaded gas without any additives?

I went on line to see if I can find an exploded view with part numbers for both the engine and the machine. No luck so far. Does any one have any ideas where to get such a thing for this Sherman tank?

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

post #7 of 7 Old 08-27-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I am just starting to dig in to this machine.

The gas tank is pretty rusty and I did source a new one at around $70. The carb will need some work or be replaced. I have not sourced any of the carb parts as yet. They may not be available.

This gets me thinking would I be better off re powering this beast? It sure is built like a tank and pretty solid other wise.

I have a working 8hp Tech snow king with e/start on the shelf that may fit. I still need to looking into the suitability. It is much newer and I am guessing it would be more reliable.

Any thoughts out there?

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page