LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-10-2016, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
New to me late 1990"s Simplicity 970

Well I finally own 3 snowblowers now. Just picked up a late 1990's model Simplicity 970 with a house we bought with our son in August. It runs pretty well and should be useful for blowing the large Driveway there. The only thing wrong with it is one of the tires is flat so I will get that fixed before the snow flies (I hope) We have been having some warm fairly snowless winters here in Minnesota over the last few years with 40+ degree weather in the middle of winter often melts all the snow but hopefully we will get to use it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28 inch Simplicity.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	89154  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-10-2016, 06:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
That is a good condition heavy duty Simplicity with no electric chute motor to freeze up, best of luck with it!

Those tires are not the best to begin with, they may be fine if you don't have any real inclines. You may want to consider swapping them out for some Carlisle X-Tracs or the Kenda version of the X-Tracs if you wanted an upgrade.

Regarding the Minnesota winters you've been having sounds a lot like here. Hopefully you will get some good use out of her next winter. Congrats on the house as well.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cardo111; 09-10-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes GustoGuy liked this post
post #3 of 4 Old 09-11-2016, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo111 View Post
That is a good condition heavy duty Simplicity with no electric chute motor to freeze up, best of luck with it!

Those tires are not the best to begin with, they may be fine if you don't have any real inclines. You may want to consider swapping them out for some Carlisle X-Tracs or the Kenda version of the X-Tracs if you wanted an upgrade.

Regarding the Minnesota winters you've been having sounds a lot like here. Hopefully you will get some good use out of her next winter. Congrats on the house as well.
I seen the Kenda X-tracs and they are about the best way to improve traction in a wheeled snowblower short of converting it to tracks. My driveway is relatively flat with no slopes so I think I wil just save the money and have tubes put in the tires and use the existing snow hogs. The 970 Simplicity is a well built and commercial grade too. Hopefully the Tecumseh 9hp engine will continue to preform well. I haven't had too much luck with the original 5hp Tecumseh in my MTD 5/22 which is now repowered and sporting an easy to start and powerful Predator 212cc
post #4 of 4 Old 09-26-2016, 02:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 31
Welcome to the "Simplicity Family" GustoGuy

The snowblower you picked up should treat you well. I have a similar version (860 dlxe with an 8hp Tecumseh) and it has been a great snowblower for me so far.....like you in MN, the past couple of winters have been warmer here in SD...however the slop at the end of the driveway due to the plows it eats right up and spits out. A no frills workhorse....and a very SOLID built machine....and I have nothing but love for my Tecumseh.

One item to keep in mind/take a look at in regards to both the auger engage and drive levers. Starting at the levers....half way down the backside of the snowblower.....you'll find two "turnbuckles" that are aluminum. I had one last year strip out on me that left me without a blower for a few days until I could get another one. Weird design in one side is right hand thread....and top side is left hand thread. Don't lose the nut on the topside of the turnbuckle....left hand thread and I couldn't find one anywhere when mine came apart and the nut got lost in the snow. I finally broke down and bought thru Simplicity and they got me for about 10 bucks for two of them + shipping. One of these days I may try and rework the engagement system for those...or change it up to what the new models use (I believe they are cable with a single adjustment)

Feed that Tecumseh 87 non-oxy (which can be tough to find in MN) and let 'er eat all that fluffy white stuff.....and it will treat you well for many years to come!

Not many Simplicity dealers here in SD....just no love for that brand here in SD.....so I just plan a bit ahead and keep a few of the parts/belts on hand that I have had issues with in the past or are standard replacement parts.

Steve

Simplicity 860DLXE (1694241)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page