post #1 of 3 Old 10-18-2016, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Auger Clutch Lever Problem

Hi Everybody,

I recently bought a used Simplicity Sno-Away 8/24 snowblower. It is model 1692469. When I was checking it out prior to purchase the auger clutch lever mechanism fell apart, right in front of me and the seller. I'm pretty handy so I thought "Awesome! A negotiating point!" It seemed like it would be easy to fix and I did in fact get the blower for a very good price because of it.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure it out and after a lot of trial, error, google searching and reading this forum I've come to you for some help. I (think I) put it together correctly based on the parts diagram but I don't understand how it can lift the auger clutch rod in it's present configuration. Here's what I did:

I attached the short upper clutch rod (part 31) to the clutch lever (part 30) at the farthest hole, as per the diagram and to the clutch lever assy (part 33). I attached the long lower clutch rod (part 28) to the lower hole on the clutch lever. The diagram does not specifically show to attach it there but it seemed like the most likely spot. Now when I depress the handle the lower hole on the clutch lever barely moves and does not move enough to lift the clutch rod. It only lifts it maybe 1/32" because it's movement is more back and forth than up and down. Obviously I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what it is. Any help would be appreciated, even a pic of how yours is configured. Hope this made sense.

Thanks,

Gary

Here is a link to the parts diagram:
Simplicity 1692469 Parts List and Diagram : eReplacementParts.com

Last edited by garytw; 10-19-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-20-2016, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
In case any one else has this problem, I figured it out. The diagram is wrong. The rods should be reversed, so the lower rod attaches where the diagram shows the upper rod (#3) attaching. The upper rod attaches at the bottom of the lever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1692469_WW_52.gif
Views:	10
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	90769  
post #3 of 3 Old 10-21-2016, 02:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by garytw View Post
In case any one else has this problem, I figured it out. The diagram is wrong. The rods should be reversed, so the lower rod attaches where the diagram shows the upper rod (#3) attaching. The upper rod attaches at the bottom of the lever.

Don't you hate it when the manual is wrong? I found the manual for my Craftsman specifies the wrong spark plug for the engine, even though the manual contains a complete parts list for the engine. The engine is an OHV, and the manual calls for a plug that fits an L head.

Oh well, let's hope the manual for heart transplants is a bit more accurate.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page