post #1 of 4 Old 02-06-2012, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Location: In the land of slush on the shores of Long Island Sound in CT
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Third party cab for Signature Pro

I've given up trying to adapt the Classic Accessory brand cab to the Signature Pro snowblower. I've tried three different systems of attaching the thing and today was stopped in my tracks.

The company Classic Accessory has been helpful. I was emailed a PDF that showed how their cab is attached to a Sears Snowblower that has a similar handle system. I declined to use their advice as I'm not going to drill holes in the one unique feature to my snowblower to install a non-standard $100 accessory.

When I discovered that one of the attachment pieces had a cracked weld on it I began a conversation with warranty repair. They were great and sent me a new part. It took the better part of three weeks to get to me. Classic and I are located on opposite sides of the country so I expected a delay.

Today as I was working on the third type of install I began to change out the broken piece for the replacement only to find that the replacement is out of spec and is about 1mm too small.

Strangest thing is I was outside cleaning up the debris field and was still mulling over how to attach the cab and did in fact come up with one more way I'll need to try before I give up for good.

It's not a waste though. I'm certain that if everything else fails I can make it work as a three sided cab for my little John Deere garden tractor for when I'm plowing snow.

My point? Unless you are willing to drill holes in the handles of your $1700 machine to install a product that has (at best) a two year warranty and spend an additional $50 in stainless hardware, I'd recommend that you reconsider your options carefully and double your money by folding it in half and putting it back in your pocket. Without serious modification to your snowblower or the cab there is no practical way to install this product on this machine. Period - end of story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Mods

Marcintoch

I definitely understand your frustration on having to modify your handlebars to make that housing work. Any chance you can make a clampon bracket to mount onto the handlebars then have the housing bolt onto that?

Another idea, if you could find another set of handlebars for your machine, modify those for the housing and keep the originals in case you every want to remove it. I have some mods I'm considering on one of my machines that involve drilling the handlebars but I have another set from a parts machine I can use for that to see if it works or not.

Just some thoughts.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
take a look at this cab on ebay, i think its for your machine with the quare bars 280816346955
post #4 of 4 Old 02-08-2012, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Location: In the land of slush on the shores of Long Island Sound in CT
Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
Marcintoch

I definitely understand your frustration on having to modify your handlebars to make that housing work. Any chance you can make a clampon bracket to mount onto the handlebars then have the housing bolt onto that?

Another idea, if you could find another set of handlebars for your machine, modify those for the housing and keep the originals in case you every want to remove it. I have some mods I'm considering on one of my machines that involve drilling the handlebars but I have another set from a parts machine I can use for that to see if it works or not.

Just some thoughts.
Thanks for offering a few ideas. I've been down these roads a few times with differing degrees of failure and sadly not a glimmer of success. I have also noticed that the machine becomes markedly un-balanced (with the weight of the cab) and in fact so evenly balanced that a light gust of wind will set it back OFF the skids.

I've bought and installed an "L" bracket on both sides and tried to find a way to attach the &^%(!! Cab that way but no. I tried using some 1.25" sched 80 PVC (just to see if it would work) and no it didn't. I tried bolting a 1x4 relieved for the shift console and bolting to that - No-go. I tried using the bolt the brackets to the channel directly and still no-go.
My last and final is GOING to be bolting 3/4" ply squares to the channels and attaching the brackets to that.

There is a space issue as well. The engine, the "key" the carb shut off and the recoil starter handle along with the angle of the handles and the "console" or deck that the shifter sticks out of leave (oddly enough) very little free room to stick anything in there.

About changing the handles-I've got a personality problem in that I don't understand why I have to spend more money (and you can be it's gonna be a lot) to replace the best and most unique feature of the machine, the reason I spent a stupid amount of cash on this thing, to install a third party, cheezy destined-to-self-destruct accessory when the factory part should be available because (and here's a sticking point) Simplicity Still Sells This Model Of Machine .

Now, that said, John Deere uses the lower unit (the snowblower) without modifications that is the exact same thing as my Signature Pro on their 10 hp and up snowblowers this year. They also have round pipe handle bars which would fit my $100 Classic Accessory Snowblower Cab. Wanna guess how much those handle bars with controls and central console and light cost? More than $100.

I'm trying to keep my happy thoughts in general but it's a losing proposition. My wife says to give up, that i've been scrod (past tense of screw) and to just move on but I'm not ready to just yet.
I can't get anyone at Simplicity to answer the phone. I want to know from them how to get my hands on one of these OEM units, you know, the one that FITS the machine or to find out who might have one in stock or why they can't be bothered making them any more but why it's still on the dealers web page.

I can see the future. I'll get my answers. It'll be that they have them 2 of them left with one of them as a return and the other is $400. How much you wanna bet it'll be cheaper to buy the handles from JD? I'll just sell the machine take the loss and buy a POS two cycle non-self propelled 18" used Yardman Sno-Blo instead. (just reaching out for a bit of humor)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page