LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-23-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Yamaha-specific snowblower section

Hey there, I'm a new member here. I currently own 3 snowblowers. A honda HS-80, a Yamaha YS-624W and a Yamaha YS-624T. I don't really know other brands, but have repaired a few of the cheaper department store models for my neighbors and it's not very pleasurable to work on a machine where quality is not the top priority.

As you can see, I'm into Honda and Yamaha snowblowers. Both have their strong and weak points.

I was surprised to not see a forum for Yamaha snowblowers? I know that quite a few were sold in the heydays of Yamaha in the US and Canada, AND, Yamaha started re-selling them here in Canada a few years ago. So there are more and more owners of these beautiful blue beasts.

I know there's a specific site for Yamaha snowblower fans, but it is too specific and don't think a lot of people visit. I think such a forum would be more appropriate here in order to exchange info, thoughts, comments, etc... I've got lots of info to post up if such a forum section would be available!

Cheers from Montreal, Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-23-2013, 09:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
1000% agree!!! I just purchased my first ever snowblower a new Yamaha ys928j and find that there isn't much disscusion or info anywhere on the web especially the Yamaha forum you mentioned. I would love a section here for just Yamaha SB's.Maybe it's because there not available in the states right now but i still think it would be very informative for new and old owners.Who knows Yamaha may start selling in the US again)
post #3 of 21 Old 10-23-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Talking

Congrats on a great purchase! You should be good for the next 30 years or so... I'd love to own one of those, but frankly, I am fine with a 624. A 928 for me would most likely be overkill.

Where in Canada are you from? I'm from Laval, Quebec.

It's really too bad that Americans can't buy those new Yamaha SB's yet, as it would make a much larger user base for them. But Yamaha did sell in the US in the 80s and 90s, so there are definitely Yamaha SB's owners in the US.

So moderators? What do you say? Can we please have our Yamaha forum? We'll play nice, promise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
1000% agree!!! I just purchased my first ever snowblower a new Yamaha ys928j and find that there isn't much disscusion or info anywhere on the web especially the Yamaha forum you mentioned. I would love a section here for just Yamaha SB's.Maybe it's because there not available in the states right now but i still think it would be very informative for new and old owners.Who knows Yamaha may start selling in the US again)
post #4 of 21 Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I'm in Newfoundland and we get loads of snow here. I hear those older yamaha have tons if torque maybe even more than my newer one?
Overkill yes but I wanted a lifetime blower and by the quality I'm seeing just by playing around with it in the garage it will last for many years!!
post #5 of 21 Old 10-23-2013, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ahh, Newfoundland, lucky you, lots of snow! Last year in my area of Canada, we missed all the big snowstorms. I think New York City had more snow than us. Best year for us was in 2006. Record snowfall. It's the year I gave up on shovelling and discovered the joys of snowblowers!

Mine is 22 years or so, and I wouldn't trade it against any newer snowblower (except a new Yamaha, Honda or commercial Ariens). I've dismantled it, and it's one fine piece of equipment. The only thing I didn't like on an earlier Yamaha I saw was the impeller. It was flimsy compared to my Honda. Was all bent up and damaged when I picked it up. One of the few negative points I have with the older Yamahas. The new ones I'm sure are much better.

Yes, the older engine was known to be a very high torque engine, with the impeller running very fast. I don't have much info on the newer Yamahas. I know they look AWESOME, especially the model you have, all encased, with a Zamboni look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
I'm in Newfoundland and we get loads of snow here. I hear those older yamaha have tons if torque maybe even more than my newer one?
Overkill yes but I wanted a lifetime blower and by the quality I'm seeing just by playing around with it in the garage it will last for many years!!
post #6 of 21 Old 10-23-2013, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Check out this youtube video! Not sure that's your specific model, might be the bigger one. I think they are from Newfoundland too!

post #7 of 21 Old 10-23-2013, 10:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
That's the biggest Yamaha 12 or 13hp and a real beast!!!
I have the 9hp.Id Love to have it tho!!!
post #8 of 21 Old 10-24-2013, 04:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I think in order for the moderators to approve such a request we must each be granted a minimum of 1 Yamaha snow blower.
post #9 of 21 Old 10-24-2013, 05:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I'm in,I have a Yamaha YS828W and would like a Yamaha section here as well.

Current machines.
Honda HS520.
Honda HS55 with tracks.
Yamaha YS828W "SOLD"
post #10 of 21 Old 10-24-2013, 05:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
I think in order for the moderators to approve such a request we must each be granted a minimum of 1 Yamaha snow blower.
No problem shryp,in 30 years from today when my Yammy is getting broke in I'll hand her over... lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page