LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-04-2016, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 36
Question Read vs. Unread Threads?

When I first joined the forum, one on the first things I noticed (and really liked) was the fact that threads I had not opened and read were displayed in bold font.
Once I open a thread and returned to a thread menu like Active Topics (which I use almost exclusively rather than New Posts), that topic reverted to regular font which visually told me I had read it. If a new post was made in that thread, the topic again displayed itself in bold font, telling me there was a new comment which I could then review.

I have noticed on a couple of occasions, the switching of display fonts suddenly not functioning as they originally did when I came to the forum. That happened again last evening, and I'm puzzled and perplexed a bit by that. In the past rebooting the computer seemed to solve that problem, but a reboot last evening did nothing to resolve the font switching problem.

What's even more puzzling to me is that this morning some of the font switching is occurring with some threads, but not with others. I'm totally baffled..........

How do I "fix" this problem??? Is the problem on my end with my computer or its configuration, or is this a web site glitch or "ghost in the machine" techie resolved issue???
Comments???
Suggestions???

Regards,
Steve

2003 Toro 826 LE Power Max
1978 Yardman Snowbird 31600-9 (5hp x 24")

* Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-04-2016, 11:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I have always had issues with this forum and read vs unread threads. The read status seems to stay until I close the browser. As a work around for me I always read everything then click "Quick Links->Mark All Forums Read" before I close the browser. When that link is broken I use the "Log Out" link.

I have tried a desktop and a laptop with Windows XP, Windows 7, LinuxMint, Chrome, IE, Firefox. Nothing I have done has changed it and everyone always tells me it works fine for them.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-04-2016, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 36
Well its good to know I'm not just dreaming there is a problem........at least for some of us.
The weird part for me is, since I posted this thread, I have opened and closed other threads, and some threads randomly remain in bold font and some switch to regular font.
I can detect no pattern or reason why some threads revert to "read" regular font status, while some remain in "unread' or bold font status.

I never have detected a problem like this at any other forum I'm a member of.....this is just really odd and strange.
Its actually a little annoying.

2003 Toro 826 LE Power Max
1978 Yardman Snowbird 31600-9 (5hp x 24")

* Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia !
post #4 of 7 Old 01-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
I've noticed the same sort of thing too. Seems that if you start at the beginning of the thread and follow all the way through to the end, the title will no longer appear in bold. Impossible to do with some that have gone on for pages. I do like Shryp says and hit the Mark Forums Read at the end of my reading session.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Let it snow

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 102
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 46
Garage
Hey ztnoo

Can you try clearing your cookies and cache? It seems like something is messing with your browsers history on the site.

Kevin
post #6 of 7 Old 01-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
When that happens to me... it's because I used my browser "Back" button.

If you do that... the thread will show as being "unread"... just hit your browser "refresh" button and it fixes itself.
It's probably because the "Back" button returns to your local cached version of the page instead of re-fetching it.
Hitting "refresh" forces a re-fetch.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-07-2016, 03:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztnoo View Post
When I first joined the forum, one on the first things I noticed (and really liked) was the fact that threads I had not opened and read were displayed in bold font.
Once I open a thread and returned to a thread menu like Active Topics (which I use almost exclusively rather than New Posts), that topic reverted to regular font which visually told me I had read it. If a new post was made in that thread, the topic again displayed itself in bold font, telling me there was a new comment which I could then review.

I have noticed on a couple of occasions, the switching of display fonts suddenly not functioning as they originally did when I came to the forum. That happened again last evening, and I'm puzzled and perplexed a bit by that. In the past rebooting the computer seemed to solve that problem, but a reboot last evening did nothing to resolve the font switching problem.

What's even more puzzling to me is that this morning some of the font switching is occurring with some threads, but not with others. I'm totally baffled..........

How do I "fix" this problem??? Is the problem on my end with my computer or its configuration, or is this a web site glitch or "ghost in the machine" techie resolved issue???
Comments???
Suggestions???

Regards,
Steve
I have that problem too. It doesn't bother me much so I don't worry about it. I was thinking it might have something to do with the cookie settings on the browser, like blocking a bunch of things, and also possibly the fact that I have Adblock Plus, and Privacy Badger running on both Chrome and Firefox, and they are set to block just about everything.

Have you got any of those extensions running, or have you disabled persistent cookies? Might be something to check.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page