My first Snow Blower: A Snapper 5/22 - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 Old 03-28-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
Again, thank you all and super helpful. Will definitely order and install the impeller kit ASAP, and the Ethanol Free gas map is awesome, now aware of my local ethanol free spots and will be using them for bikes, boats, and power equipment.

How does the impeller kit work? Smaller tolerances in the second stage mean less space for snow to collect and clog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 17
Those older Snappers are the best, especially the heavy duty ones that were 8hp and up. Like the 8/24. One of the reasons the older snappers prior to 2004 when Briggs took their name were so good, is because the gap between the impeller and the belly has one of the smallest gaps that was on the market, so they throw snow the farthest. Impeller mods are almost not necessary on the Snappers that's how close the impeller is to the belly. Either way they are excellent workhorse machines.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes toroused liked this post
post #13 of 39 Old 03-28-2017, 04:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 243
My 6/22 had about a 1/4 inch gap, the reason you get clogging is ice forms on the surface in the clearance and slows down the throwing snow when it's wetter, The rubber in the mod scrapes the slush off and doesn't give the new slush any place to stick so it throws faster out of the chute preventing it from clogging up. Well that's my understanding of it anyway.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #14 of 39 Old 03-29-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
My 6/22 had about a 1/4 inch gap, the reason you get clogging is ice forms on the surface in the clearance and slows down the throwing snow when it's wetter, The rubber in the mod scrapes the slush off and doesn't give the new slush any place to stick so it throws faster out of the chute preventing it from clogging up. Well that's my understanding of it anyway.
So despite the tighter clearance on the older snappers, an impeller mod is still a useful upgrade?

"The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?" -J. B. Priestley

My Garage: Snapper 5/22 (dead,) 2017 Cub Cadet 2x 28"
post #15 of 39 Old 03-30-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
SO.....got a call from my mechanic today.

-Apparently he thinks its a 6hp model. He said he has done a lot of work on these over the years and despite the 5hp label on my Tecumsuh motor he says he's SURE it's the 6HP motor. Interesting...

-Repairs were $296 dollars (Ouch) apparently the carb needed a total cleaning, belts were dry rotted and needed to be replaced, shift linkage had to be replaced, everything oiled/greased, maybe something else I can't remember. I know it has sat for a few years....happy to save an old machine but man; hoping he didn't take me to the cleaners..

Picking up today in anticipation of Fri/Sat slush storm we are getting

"The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?" -J. B. Priestley

post #16 of 39 Old 03-30-2017, 11:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Ouch, that's a bit $$$ in my opinion, mine IS the 6hp and one a few differences are the choke knob is on the top and all the 5hp had it on the side or the engine, another thing I noticed is the starter motor is larger than the 5hp starters. Post some pics when you can and we'll see what's on it.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
post #17 of 39 Old 03-30-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Okay...finally got my blower home today. Looks like it was made in 1990.

The guy at the shop claimed he had to call Tecumseh for some parts, and gave them the serial number. He said that that model year (89/90) they made a mistake and used some 6HP blocks that were meant to go with 5hp engines and that my engine was one of those. The top end still looks to be 5hp though, so i'd imagine it's 5hp, even though this guy seems to think it's six.

He changed oil, something to do with the ignition (said flame was orange, and needed to be blue, greased everything up, cleaned the carb, and did a bunch of other stuff.

Runs great! May get a chance to use it this weekend too it's looking like.

Is automotive de-icer (alcohol based) okay to spray in the chute to prevent ice buildup before my impeller mod kit gets in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 4.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	103514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 3.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	103522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 2.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	103530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 1.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	103538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 7.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	103546  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 6.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	103554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 5.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	103562  

post #18 of 39 Old 03-30-2017, 06:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Looks good, I think mine was from around 85-86 if I remember right but you can see the slight difference in the heater box.
[IMG][/IMG]

post #19 of 39 Old 03-30-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
So what's the consensus from my pictures and story from the mechanic. 5 horse or 6 horse?
post #20 of 39 Old 03-30-2017, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDangerous View Post

Picking up today in anticipation of Fri/Sat slush storm we are getting
I understand you are excited to try it out! especially since you havent yet used it..
but..
I hate to tell you this, but IMO you absolutely should *not* try to use the snowblower this weekend, for three reasons:

1. It wont work, at all.
2. you will be disappointed.
3. It will tell you absolutely nothing about how the machine will work in "real" snow.

2-stage snowblowers simply aren't designed for slush..they dont handle it well at all, many cant throw it at all..
its just not what they were designed to do.

You have a very nice little snowblower! a quality machine that very likely will throw like a pro..next winter.
with 4" to 18" of *cold* regular winter snow, it will probably do great..

with a thin layer of slush..its not even worth trying.
here is what everyone who has a 2-stage snowblower does with slush in April: absolutely nothing.
it will melt away by itself in a day, or less..

you can try it! but IMO its not even worth it..
but just remember when it doesn't work, that doesn't mean its a bad snowblower..its not a fair test...because technically, you arent going to get any snow this weekend..you are only going get semi-solid rain.. from the perspective of a 2-stage snowblower, that is no snow at all..

But next winter, I predict it will work great.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sscotsman; 03-30-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page