My first Snow Blower: A Snapper 5/22 - Page 4 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 04-03-2017, 09:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDangerous View Post
So...i'm thinking my machine must be a 1990. The DOM states, 5179 0, which would make sense as 5/17/1990.
I believe it's either an '85 or '95... manufactured on the 179th day of that year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes RickDangerous liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 04-03-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
I believe it's either an '85 or '95... manufactured on the 179th day of that year.
Interesting, you must know more about how they format the dates than I do.. you think it would be easier to figure out the year if they go to the trouble of putting a DOM on there..lol

"The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?" -J. B. Priestley

My Garage: Snapper 5/22 (dead,) 2017 Cub Cadet 2x 28"

Last edited by RickDangerous; 04-03-2017 at 03:02 PM.
post #33 of 39 Old 04-03-2017, 01:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 292
I've figured out some DOM from jackssmallengines.com. Their parts lookup by model sometimes lists the year based on its serial. Other websites might do it to.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

post #34 of 39 Old 04-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
Unfortunately Tecumseh made things really difficult by using a *single digit* to represent the year! then they went on to use that system for 5 decades..makes things really difficult, when just one extra digit would have eliminated the problem.

From 1965 to 2004 they used the 4-digit code where the *first* number is the year, and the last three digits are the day of the year. (then they started, finally, using 5-digits in 2005..then stopped making engines in 2008!)

With no context, just a Tecumseh date number all by itself, such as:

In Tecumseh-speak that translates as "this engine was assembled at Tecumseh on the 179th day of a year ending in 5"..
and "year ending in 5" could be 1965, 1975, 1985, or 1995. (thanks Tecumseh! )

So then we have to use clues based on the engine model, the snowblower model, features on both, etc. to try to work out which decade we are talking about..There are pretty big difference between a 1965 engine and a 1995 engine, and snowblower, so some years can be ruled out fairly easily..

I agree with everyone that in this case we are most likely talking about '85 or '95.
we can safely rule out '65 and '75 because of features on the engine, such as the red plastic knobs.

so which is it then? No one has ever created a "Snapper snowblower ID webpage", so we dont have a lot to go on..
There is another clue here:

http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/3...9429624afa.pdf

That manual appears to be dated 3-1-00. Assuming that is a date, which it probably is, that manual was from year 2000.
Which makes the snowblower more likely to be a 1995 than a 1985, because individual engine models didnt usually stay in production for 2 decades straight..So that manual, still being printed for that engine in year 2000, makes 1995 for the snowblower more likely. not definitive, but likely.

I would say 75% likely to be 1995 and 25% to be 1985.

Scot

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks RickDangerous thanked for this post
post #35 of 39 Old 04-03-2017, 05:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 206
Apparently Tecumseh figured they wouldn't still be producing engines for more than 10 years ! LOL I guess this is similar to the Y2K issue that computers were faced with 17+ years ago.
post #36 of 39 Old 04-04-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
I think, given everything put forth here, that it must be a 1995 as well. My impression is that they had more white in them and a simpler look in the 80's (as in picture attached.)

Tecumseh doesn't make engines anymore? I could swear I saw something new at Tractor Supply yesterday with a Tecumseh engine. Is someone else using the name?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapper 80's.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	103866  

"The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?" -J. B. Priestley

post #37 of 39 Old 04-04-2017, 10:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
that's a really nice machine... it's kind of hard to tell but that engine almost looks like a medium frame 7 or 8 HP (HM70 or HM80).

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #38 of 39 Old 04-04-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
that's a really nice machine... it's kind of hard to tell but that engine almost looks like a medium frame 7 or 8 HP (HM70 or HM80).

I know! Looks like they were on par with Ariens machines for a while. Very rugged and high quality looking.

Now they don't even make snow blowers... :'( sniff...

post #39 of 39 Old 01-05-2018, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Well....sad to report this cold weather has killed my snapper, or so it would seem.

Last fall I had a bid tuneup done, and this season i've cleared snow 3-4 times with it and its worked great, though the last time I used it it took me a few times to get the blade moving.

This morning, I went to clear my driveway, and the blade would...not....move. It's been cold here in Vermont, sub zero, and I wonder if the driveshaft or gear housing froze up somewhere. The engine was running fine, as was the forward and reverse gear, but after several times trying to get the blade moving I heard a grinding noise and smelled that burnt metal smell. To top it off oil started spewing out of the base of the engine all over the unit.

I'm already $300 deep into this nice old 5/22, and can't fathom spending much more on it, so unless my small engine guy can be guilted into doing the repair for me for the cost of parts, i think i'm just going to leave it with him to fix up and sell.

Oh well....it was fun while it lasted and was a fun first snowblower. It was in the garage, granted cold out there, but are you supposed to warm up you front end with a blow dryer in weather like this?? What did I do wrong?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page