LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-10-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Snapper 5 HP Tecumseh Engine Gas Leak

I have a Snapper Model I524O. Tecumseh Engine HS50-67266H. It leaks gas after I stop running it. What I have been doing is shutting the fuel valve that is below the gas tank and allowing the engine to run dry. It still leaks. Could it still have gas in the carburetor fuel bowl, or a leak in the gas tank, or a leak in the fuel line beneath the gas tank? This has been going on for a few years. I had the carburetor replaced last year because I (incorrectly) thought the carburetor was the source of the leak. But a new carburetor did not correct the leak. I told the small engine repair guy about the leak and it was his idea was to replace the carburetor, but the leak continues. I do not want to use the same repair shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-10-2019, 08:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 900
Where exactly is it leaking? Can you tell? From the tank, lines or csrburetor? A couple of good, clear photos may help.
At some point the fuel lines will be dry. The leak will naturally be below that point.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 5 Old 09-10-2019, 10:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMIEM View Post
....Could it still have gas in the carburetor fuel bowl, or a leak in the gas tank, or a leak in the fuel line beneath the gas tank? ...

JIMMIEM,

Yes to all of the above, plus a few more possibilities. So like Micah suggested, you're going to have to narrow it down. I have to say that rarely though, have I ever had a gas leak on a piece of power equipment, that didn't appear obvious after 5 minutes or less examination.

I tend to agree with you about the shop's diagnosis of yet another carburetor. Did he even look at the machine in its present condition before he made that suggestion? If not.....avoid using him again, unless he can claim he's a certified psychic....
In addition to your suspicions about sources for leaks, you can add the fuel shutoff valve to your list, as well as around the hardware that attaches your bowl to the base of the carb, or a drain hole bolt (if there even is one on your present carb).

I take it that the machine runs o.k. and that this must be a very slow leak, or you'd be able to identify the source more easily.

Hardware that attaches to the bowl will typically use some sort of seal like a fiber washer or o-ring. You need to check those. Of course the gasket that seals the bowl to the carb can leak too.

As for the fuel shutoff valve, the valve itself could be leaking, or the valve doesn't really seal off the flow of gas completely and you have a leak further downstream.

If I were trying to locate a leak I literally couldn't see, I'd start at the top. Shove some paper towels under the tank then come back and see if there is evidence of leakage. Even if the gas evaporates you'll still see staining from the gas, or find that the paper feels a little crunchy in spots.

If nothing, wrap a band (small strip) of paper towel around the fuel line just before the shutoff. Examine for evidence of leaks.

Next, wrap the shutoff in a strip of paper towel, and examine after a few hours.

Well, you get the idea-- you just keep working your way downstream.

Additionally, be sure to place some under the bowl to check there.

Rule #1 in diagnosing a problem (whether it's power equipment, cars, computers, software, etc.) NEVER discount the possibility of more than one problem contributing to the symptoms you see. For example, you could have a carb bowl that leaks, and a fuel shutoff that doesn't completely shutoff.

Good luck with your diagnosis, and let us know how it's going.

If you're looking for guarantees in life, buy yourself a toaster.
--- Clint Eastwood

Last edited by SayItAintSnow; 09-10-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, ST1100A liked this post
post #4 of 5 Old 09-10-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank You for your replies and suggestions.
The leak 'seems' to be on the gas tank side of the machine. The machine runs fine. Part of the problem is that it is wet all over after using it to clear the snow. I'll run it in the dry warm weather and see what I can see.
Stay tuned.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Fuel line was the source of the leak. A couple of spots looked like they had burned over time. Probably from being against hot metal. I replaced the fuel line and shut off valve. No leak. I had also tested the gas tank while waiting for the new fuel line and shut off valve to be delivered. The gas tank did not leak, nor did the carburetor.
I checked the belts and they didn't look too bad but I figure if I replace them then it won't snow around here this winter.
Thank You for your help.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in