LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 12-11-2016, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Sno-Tek 24 broken wire, no start...

I have a model 920403 (SSN 078696) that is a few seasons old. I summerized it (fuel stabilizer, run till empty, etc) and about 6 weeks ago started it up to make sure it was ready for the season. Of course we have a storm coming tonight so I pulled it up to the garage in prep and tried to start. It fired on the 2nd pull, ran briefly (1 sec) and then died. No amount of pulling would start it. So I hooked up the electric start. Long story short, no start and fuel coming out of the valve cover vent tube so I stopped, pulled the plug and it was fouled. I dried it off and let the open cylinder air dry for an hour while I poked around. I drained the old fuel out of the bottom of the carb. When I noticed that a black wire from the kill and on-off switch harness was chewed by a mouse and broken. Here's a photo: (well, I can't post photos yet!)

I can't figure out where it attaches! I removed the control panel, muffler cover, etc and still no luck. I finally put everything back together after the flooding had evaporated, reinstalled the plug and then attempted to start with no choke and only 2 presses of the fuel pump - remember I had drained the carb chamber. I clicked the power start and it fired up, puff of dark smoke, ran for maybe 5 seconds and then died. Attempts to restart resulted in immediate flooding and sputtering fuel out the valve cover vent. This was with that mysterious black wire still disconnected.

So, I am not sure if I have an electrical issue or maybe my carb needs cleaning. Can these carbs stick in an open position to cause flooding?

I have now removed the carb to clean and check it. Here's a better photo of the black wire: (well, I can't post photos yet!)
Any thoughts on troubleshooting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-11-2016, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I think I should focus on the flooding issue. Can a carburetor "stick" open? I've only had them stick closed, thus preventing fuel from reaching the cylinder.
post #3 of 28 Old 12-11-2016, 04:39 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 592
Garage
yes, the float can stick open, and/or the float needle may not be seating. try opening the fuel shut off for maybe 15-20 seconds, then close it. now start the machine , it should run for a minute or two..maybe longer on the fuel thats in the bowl before it dies.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 28 Old 12-11-2016, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The carb looks pretty good inside, no evidence of enamel, the float valve moves freely (the float and the plunger). With the float lifted, fuel input line is blocked. So that seems normal and working properly.
post #5 of 28 Old 12-11-2016, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks nwcove. I'll check the jet and then reassemble the carb. So to understand what you are suggesting - opening the fuel shut off is how it normally is so that would fill the bowl, you are then suggesting to close the shut off and attempt to start so only fuel in the bowl will be used, correct? I can give that a shot but when I did get it started it died much faster (5 seconds) and then was flooded.
post #6 of 28 Old 12-11-2016, 04:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
you have the carb off ? if so, blow into the fuel nipple with the carb held upside right.....you should be able to blow air into it, now flip it upside down and repeat......if the needle is seating you should not be able to easily blow air into it. ( do not use an air compressor....just good ol lung power )

28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 Old 12-11-2016, 04:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 26
Garage
Float stuck?
I would fix the wire first.
If you can't find where the wire is from and you're looking at it this would be hard to help with.
post #8 of 28 Old 12-11-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
@nwcove, that is what I was trying to say in my previous post. Upright, air flows, upside down it does not so the float valve and plunger seem to be working - at least now, maybe removing the carb freed it up?

@mrfixit - I agree! That's why I posted for help. I was hoping maybe someone with this machine could take a look under the carb and see where that black wire goes. All of the other wires in the harness are white, the mouse decided to chew the black one!

photo:
post #9 of 28 Old 12-11-2016, 04:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
do you have the 208 cc LCT ?

28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss

post #10 of 28 Old 12-11-2016, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes I do:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in