Sno-Tek 24 Starting Trouble and Oil Leak - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-17-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Sno-Tek 24 Starting Trouble and Oil Leak

Hello Everyone...

I am new to this forum and just to let the readers know that I am new to using these devices (Snowblower, Lawn mower, leaf blower etc.) as a new home owner. I bought a new Sno-Tek 24 from HomeDepot in Oct 2015 and used it during 2015-2016 winter season few times and it worked fine. I live in Southern Connecticut.

After the season, based on suggestion from my neighbor, I put Sta-Bil before storing it away. I also started it once during the summer for a few minutes just to ensure everything is fine.

This winter during the first snow, I started and it worked fine for about 10-15 min and then it would just start running and stop no matter what the choke position.

- I realized my mistake and changed the engine oil (5W-30) that had turned pitch dark and lost viscosity.
- Then I checked the spark plug, which had a lot of carbon, cleaned it too.
- After watching a couple videos on youtube, opened up the carburetor and cleaned it best to my understanding.
- After doing all this when I tried starting it, it did start and was sputtering on full choke. At less choke it was stopping.

So I drained all the old fuel and put in fresh fuel.
After that when I started it, it was ran for 10 min. but was backfiring on the exhaust and then stopped on it own.
Today morning I saw that there was some Oil Leakage, just on the right side of the left tire. The oil drain is not in that area at all.

A couple days back after trying to make it run, when storing it, I had SHUT OFF the gas supply knob. So I don't think this should be gas, it most certainly is oil.
Not sure where it is dripping from though ? Any ideas on where the oil would leak from in that area ?

What else can I do to make it run normally ?
I have been suggested "Mechanic in a bottle" and "Seafoam" but I have been a little hesitant to try them.

Any take from the experts ?
Or
Does this seem to be just a faulty unit ?

Thank you for your advice and suggestions in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-18-2017, 05:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
Welcome to the forum.
Make sure you didn't overfill the engine with oil. Is it possible you spilled a little oil when refilling? The black sooty plug means your carb is running rich which is one of the causes of sputtering and backfiring. Newer machines have non-adjustable carbs which makes thorough cleaning important. Did you install a new plug? I would do that. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks cmehta99 thanked for this post
post #3 of 6 Old 01-18-2017, 07:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Received): 17
I agree on the oil issue. In all likelihood you'd have found oil leaking during storage if you actually had a leak. It may very well be that you over filled the oil. Over-filled oil can create problems beyond spillage. In fact, backfire is usually the result of unburned fuel which could relate to spark plug problems, which could relate to over-filling the oil.

Change the plug and make certain it's gapped properly.

BTW, there's debate on whether to leave the snow thrower tank empty or full. I prefer empty.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks cmehta99 thanked for this post
post #4 of 6 Old 01-18-2017, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmehta99 View Post

- I realized my mistake and changed the engine oil (5W-30) that had turned pitch dark and lost viscosity.
That wasnt really necessary, and had nothing to do with the issues..
although it cant hurt!
oil getting "dark" after awhile is normal, but it cant "lose viscosity".
Generally, you only need to change the oil once a year.

So in this case, the oil wasn't causing any of the symptoms, and changing the oil wouldn't fix anything..
although just doing an oil change is fine and cant hurt..unless! you did end up over-filling, which could *then* cause new problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmehta99 View Post
So I drained all the old fuel and put in fresh fuel.
That is MUCH more helpful than changing the oil!
bad fuel can cause all kinds of problems.

It's 95% likely that *all* of your problems were cause by bad/old gas.
gunking up the carb, and causing poor running..

Even if you do keep gas in it for summer storage, you should, even then, drain out all of that "storage gas" and replace it with fresh gas before starting it up in the fall.

I agree, the "oil leak" is probably just a left-over spill from your oil change..
wipe it all up, then keep an eye on that spot to see if the oil does or doesn't return.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks mattstaub, cmehta99 thanked for this post
post #5 of 6 Old 01-19-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Update - Oil Leak - picture

Thank you all for your inputs. I will try to clean the carb. again this weekend.

here is the picture of the oil still leaking from somewhere.. I can't figure out where though.

post #6 of 6 Old 01-22-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Update - Snow Tek Not Starting and OIL LEAK

Update -

I cleaned the carb. again and also the jet by using a very thin wire as well as spraying carb cleaner through it.

The snowblower is not starting.

Will be changing the spark plug with a new one to see if that helps.

On OIL LEAK, I found where the oil is leaking from. It is from the BLACK CAP that is to the right of OIL DRAIN.
I couldn't find in the manual what that BLACK CAP is for and there is no way to tighten it.. its already as tight as it can be in it's place.

Is that the place from where OIL will LEAK if it filled above its FULL LEVEL ?

Would appreciate if you can share your views.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page