Starting Issue - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 10-29-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Well thanks for all the suggestions. I replaced the spark plug with a new NGK but no luck. I ordered a new carb off eBay for $23 but I'm skeptical that will solve the problem. I wish I could find the wiring diagram for this snow blower because my gut tells me that is where the problem lies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 10-29-2017, 01:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 52
Does it have a fuel shutoff valve? Is so, is it turned to the ON position?
post #13 of 19 Old 10-29-2017, 04:21 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 582
Garage
http://www.lausonpower.com/pdf/LCT%2...uide_small.pdf

i dont think its wiring related, have you tried a few drops of fuel down the plug hole ?

..... just another thought, do you live in an area where those dirt /mud dobber things live ? maybe a nest in the intake ?

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nwcove; 10-29-2017 at 04:24 PM.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-29-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Snow View Post
Does it have a fuel shutoff valve? Is so, is it turned to the ON position?

It does. And it is turned to the ON position.
post #15 of 19 Old 10-29-2017, 05:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 624
Thanks (Received): 152
Likes (Given): 909
Likes (Received): 969
Garage
if you have spark, air, fuel , and compression , it should start. or almost start.

can you see that the choke is closing? when you pull plug is it dry ? or wet? did you do a compression check?

did you take bowl off and turn fuel on to see that fuel is flowing?

could it be a timing issue? you said it worked last year so it is probably one of the 4 things above. I agree that a new carb probably won't help unless the float is bad or the needle valve and it is flooding.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #16 of 19 Old 10-29-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
http://www.lausonpower.com/pdf/LCT%2...uide_small.pdf

i dont think its wiring related, have you tried a few drops of fuel down the plug hole ?

..... just another thought, do you live in an area where those dirt /mud dobber things live ? maybe a nest in the intake ?

Yes, tried shooting some starter fluid down the plug hole. Still didn't sound like it was firing. Which is crazy since I saw spark and have a new plug.

We do have mud dobbers around here but they typically build their nests around the dormers of the home.
post #17 of 19 Old 11-03-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So I have purchased a new spark plug and carb. I put the new carb on today but have not tried to try it yet. I don't really know how to check the compression but my neighbor when he was looking at it said it seemed like it had good compression. I think he put his finger over the spark plug hole while he hit the starter.

Before I try the new carb I am still curious about the wiring harness. I removed the two wires on the stop/run switch and although I think I know which terminals I took them off I am a bit confused.

The switch has 4 terminals on it in a 2 by 2 pattern like this...
__ __

__ __

I thought the two wires were on the bottom two terminals. But when I checked the switch with my ohm meter I found that the two left terminals are shorted when the switch is in the run position and the two right terminals are open. And vice versa when in the stop position. So putting them across the two top or two bottom terminals doesn't seem to make any sense. My question is do these two wires need to be open or shorted when trying to start it? It appears the path of the wiring goes from a ground terminal on the engine, through the key switch, then through the stop/run switch, and then somewhere into the engine case.

I also noticed that with the key switch, which is a big red key that is either plugged in or absent, I did not see any difference with my meter. I measured about 3 ohms regardless if the key was in or out. After I actually pulled the wires off the switch I found that when the key is inserted the terminals register open and shorted when the key is out.

I'd really like to make sure the wiring is correct before I proceed to try the new carb.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Rob
post #18 of 19 Old 11-03-2017, 03:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 31
Likes (Received): 100
to me it sounds like some sort of spark issue. if your spraying starting fluid in the plug and the throat of the carb and it doesnt kick over at all or pop or anything. that has to be the problem.

i doubt the compression is gone on a blower that is pretty much new.

how i troubleshoot spark normally is pull the little wire to the coil and check for spark sparkplug in boot and ground a sqrew driver to the hole and put the electrode on the driver. if you have spark good that means your coil is good you just by passed all the wiring before the coil.

basically all your kill switch circuit does is put a ground to the the little terminal of the coil. so when you are testing back to your switch the easiest way is if you have a multi-meter with a continuity beep check the wiring and switch. when in run position the circuit is open and when in the off position it should be closed and have continuity from the ground wire all the way through the switch and back to the terminal on the coil.

hope it helps

Last edited by Snowbelt_subie; 11-03-2017 at 03:58 PM.
post #19 of 19 Old 11-03-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Subie... I finally came to the logical conclusion that grounding to the engine was going to kill the engine. So I left the run/switch wires off (open) and the same with the key switch. Tried to start it and still nothing. There is no manual throttle on the unit so I manually turned the throttle and it STARTED! Smoked like a mother. But it's all back and running. Not sure if the new carb and plug had anything to do with it or not. But I'm leaving it as is. Just happy I did not have to take it to a dealer and pay them. The new carb and spark plug was less than $30 so I consider that a win.

Thanks again to all who responded in this thread.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page