LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-21-2016, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
LCT 208cc valve cover vent tube leak

As the title says its a 208cc LCT on a Snowtek 24. I bought it used off someone, I'm guessing it has about 10 hours of use.

I've only turned it on a couple times. First time I noticed lots of fuel/fluid under the carb sprayed onto the wheel. Cleaned it up and ran it much shorter a second time to see where its dripping. It appears to be foam/fluid coming from the Valve cover vent tube. I assumed it was gas (and maybe it is) but I swear it smells more like carb or brake cleaner, or maybe wd-40, perhaps ether.

I'm going to take the valve cover off to see what's going on tonight but does anyone have in-site if this is normal? What to look for when I pull the valve cover to see if I need a valve adjustment?

Not sure if it helps but I attached a picture of said vent tube, it is to the left of the carb bowl).

SECOND concerns - every few minutes I hear a grinding noise while its just sitting idle no auger engaged. Sounds almost like when you pull the starter cord on an already running lawnmower engine. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5089.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	73873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5091.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	73881  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-21-2016, 11:07 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
did you overfill the oil. i had a tecumseh that did that because someone added to much oil
post #3 of 13 Old 01-21-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I basically just made sure it had oil in it which is admittedly foolish. I need to check and make sure it has the right amount.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-21-2016, 03:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrpinmd View Post
As the title says its a 208cc LCT on a Snowtek 24. I bought it used off someone, I'm guessing it has about 10 hours of use.

I've only turned it on a couple times. First time I noticed lots of fuel/fluid under the carb sprayed onto the wheel. Cleaned it up and ran it much shorter a second time to see where its dripping. It appears to be foam/fluid coming from the Valve cover vent tube. I assumed it was gas (and maybe it is) but I swear it smells more like carb or brake cleaner, or maybe wd-40, perhaps ether.

I'm going to take the valve cover off to see what's going on tonight but does anyone have in-site if this is normal? What to look for when I pull the valve cover to see if I need a valve adjustment?

Not sure if it helps but I attached a picture of said vent tube, it is to the left of the carb bowl).

SECOND concerns - every few minutes I hear a grinding noise while its just sitting idle no auger engaged. Sounds almost like when you pull the starter cord on an already running lawnmower engine. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
That's a breather vent from the crankcase. If you pull the dipstick can you smell the same thing as whats coming out the breather? Check you gas tank and see if its got the same amount in it as you put in when you got it. Its possible gas is leaking thru the carb into the crank case, which would be indicated by a high dipstick reading, and a smell of gas from the oil, which might be that funky smell you notice.

If you have oil coming out of there, and it smells funny, I would suggest you Drain the oil out of that machine and replace it with new before you run it again.

Don't know where that noise is coming from. Did you try pulling the starter rope a bit when it happens to see if it changes or goes away? Once it starts, how long does it continue, or does it ever stop by itself?

When you have the valve cover off, remove the spark plug so you can turn the engine easily.

Most manuals say to set the piston at top dead centre, or 1/4 inch of stroke past TDC (to compensate for built in compression release operation) than then you can use a feeler gauge to check the gap in the valves from the rocker arm to the valve stem. I find that fiddling to get TDC doesn't really help the cause, so I make sure that one valve is open, and then I adjust the valve that is closed. Then I rotate the engine until the just adjusted valve is open, and set the gap on the other valve. Trick is to be sure the valve you are adjusting is fully closed.

If the gap is too large or too small, then adjust it to spec. Make sure to retighten the adjustment lock bolts properly so they don't vibrate loose and cause problems. Also, check the valve cover gasket before you reinstall for damage, and depending on what is in your crankcase, if the gasket is soggy with the stuff, put on a new one.

Valve adjustment should be done with the engine cold, unless the manual says different.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 01-21-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes AriensPro1128 liked this post
post #5 of 13 Old 01-21-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys for the info. So now that I'm home I can confirm that the oil is well past the full mark, so overfilled. I took off the valve cover and it is definitely gas not some other fluid like my nose had mistake before. It's not flooded, but there is evidence of some gas in there and the valve gasket has some fuel too. So, is this really bad for gas to be coming out of the breather tube?

I'm not 100% (my nose gets overwhelmed after smelling gas the first time) but it sort of smells like gas on the oil dipstick so an oil change is in order.

Does this seem like a result of too much oil or does it need a valve adjustment? Sorry but I'm not too versed in engines, if I do a valve adjustment I'm going to have to either watch some YouTube or ask a neighbor to help. Maybe I'll start with an oil change and checking the carb needle and see if it runs ok.

Last edited by nrpinmd; 01-21-2016 at 09:13 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-21-2016, 09:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Thanks guys for the info. So now that I'm home I can confirm that the oil is well past the full mark, so overfilled. I took off the valve cover and it is definitely gas not some other fluid like my nose had mistake before. It's not flooded, but there is evidence of some gas in there and the valve gasket has some fuel too. So, is this really bad for gas to be coming out of the breather tube?

I'm not 100% (my nose gets overwhelmed after smelling gas the first time) but it sort of smells like gas on the oil dipstick so an oil change is in order.

Does this seem like a result of too much oil or does it need a valve adjustment? Sorry but I'm not too versed in engines, if I do a valve adjustment I'm going to have to either watch some YouTube or ask a neighbor to help. Maybe I'll start with an oil change and checking the carb needle and see if it runs ok.
If you find gas in the crankcase with the oil, there probably a problem with your carb float. Sometimes they stick, and the float bowl overflows and the gas can seep into the engine through the intake valve, and end up in the crankcase. The oil level is probably OK, but the extra gas in there makes it look overfilled.

Your valves are PROBABLY ok, the machine did start and run. You need to find out whats going on with the carb, drain the stuff in the crank case now, and refil with fresh oil. If the previous owner left the thing with gas in it since it was new, the carb is probably gummed up and the float is not sealing the fuel inlet needle valve.

If you have a fuel shutoff valve, turn it off when the machine is not being used so no more gas leaks into the engine.

Is this your engine?

Work fascinates me.

Last edited by skutflut; 02-24-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks nrpinmd thanked for this post
post #7 of 13 Old 01-21-2016, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes that is my engine. Thanks so much skutflut! The carb theory makes sense and it seems very likely the previous owner stored it all summer with fuel.

I'll report back with what I see in the carb and change the oil out. And yes it did start easily and aside from that occasional grind noise it ran smoothly.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-22-2016, 09:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Yes that is my engine. Thanks so much skutflut! The carb theory makes sense and it seems very likely the previous owner stored it all summer with fuel.

I'll report back with what I see in the carb and change the oil out. And yes it did start easily and aside from that occasional grind noise it ran smoothly.

Well luckily you have a fuel shutoff valve. Better start using that. Once you clean the carb out and get the float working, and the oil down where it should be, you will probably be fine. Do try and find the grinding sound however. Maybe you can remove the recoil assembly and take a look for wear marks, leave it off and run the engine and see if the grinding noise is gone or still there with the starter rope off. Grinding sounds should only come from grinders.

Work fascinates me.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-22-2016, 01:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
My LCT 9.5 (SnoTek 24) makes a grinding noise too, but only when you shut it off and the engine is slowing down to a full stop. I would guess it makes it in the 300-400 RPM range and only for about a half second. I have owned it for 5 seasons, and it still runs great! We had over 18 feet of snow last year and it performed flawlessly. I don't know why people would buy other inexpensive brands over SnoTek!

Last edited by billy; 01-22-2016 at 01:04 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-22-2016, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
All right, cleaned out the carb. I didn't see any issues but sometimes a tiny particle can mess things up. Changed the oil which kind of needed to be done anyways. Turned it on for 5 mins and no signs at all of gas coming out of the valve cover vent tube. So far so good just as the first flakes are falling. If I were to guess, someone didn't turn the fuel cutoff.

I'm still not sure what the "grinding" is. It's not a constant grinding, almost sounds similar to the noise when the auger is engaged, just happens for a fraction of a second. Im basically just going to keep an eye on it and give it a go for the blizzard.

Thanks guys! This was very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page