post #11 of 12 Old 04-27-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRider View Post
Almost looks as good as mine. Just kidding, it looks great.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...e-dsc_6744.jpg

With fifty years service on these machines the differentials need rebuilding. Shafts will wear where seals ride causing gear oil leaks, bearings sludge up and wear from decades old lube and most important the thrust bearing alongside the bronze gear disintegrates causing misalignment to the worm promoting a worn gear, .018" free play at gear brings it back into spec. Gear cases unless removed from machine and opened previously will have a half inch of sludge inside which does not drain out and causes the above problems. Your stick shift linkage needs some fine tuning so when in neutral it is straight up.
Appreciate the info...That stick shift linkage is another "Fine Tune" project on a rainy day...I did everything I could on the left side adjustment bracket, (working it up and down) but I think there is too much play in the linkages, next to straightening out the linkage..I'm surprised it works like a charm in forward or reverse. I've worked on these machines years ago and I would spend hours with that forward and reverse belt adjustment...That is the only flaw I noticed on these machines...Those reverse belts would chew right up if not adjusted properly...

The owner of this unit told me he changed transmission oil every year, and I was quite surprised that the oil was quite clean with no sludge buildup upon examination...( I lucked out !) That's why I didn't open it up...Transmission runs solid...If I had to rebuild...there are no parts available that I know of...back to the machine shop I guess...

I appreciate everyone's comments.... They are helpful !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 Old 04-27-2018, 10:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 621
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Given): 873
Likes (Received): 921
Garage
Inspirational with a capital I!!!!!!

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page