LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-27-2016, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
Techumseh 5HP for JD 524

This is the oddball out of the 17 snowblowers. It's a mid to late 80s vintage JD 524 Has the little whimpy putty 5HP Techumseh engine on it, can't stand the sound of it personally, wish I could upgrade it myself but don't have the $$$. It's like listening to a silly little 4 cylinder engine, vs a more genuine sound from a V8. Uggh. But that's not the issue. The issue is the carb. I was an idiot and didn't look close enough and ordered the wrong replacement carb for it. The main issue is the choke arm design. Whoops. In looking on ebay there are a couple of these with the correct choke arm, yet they do not have the adjustable main jet in the bottom. Just the non-adjustable models like what came from the factory on the machine. What gives? I need the adjustable jet because this one starts like crap and smells like crap when it is running. It's not jetted for high altitude use I figure. When I am able to get it started after about 5 or 6 pulls with full choke and after priming it 4 or 5 times, it starts of very very very slowly and slowly builds up speed to it's operating RPM. I may talk trash about EFI engines, but if they are not going to put adjustable carbs on these things then perhaps an EFI is what it needs because I'm bound to rip out the starting cord with all the yanking I have to do on this thing. The JD826D that I have up at the building this belongs to right now had to be adjusted carb wise when I got it up there. Amazing the difference that 1000ft altitude change can make on these machines. My question- Could I just take the carb bowl off of the new carb I got with the adjustable jet and throw it on the old carb? Or does it need a completely new carb?

This is what I ordered:

This is what it needs:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-27-2016, 10:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 50
From what I've seen, the tube from needle to Venturi is shorter then when it has fixed jet. So u can't just swap. I'm surprised an eng that old has a fixed jet. Did you try a kit in the orig carb or just try to replace?

-efisher-
post #3 of 6 Old 11-27-2016, 10:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
post #4 of 6 Old 11-28-2016, 12:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 317
Likes (Received): 623
If the Main issue is the choke design, You Should be able to swap the chokes. From the old carb, unscrew the screw that holds the butterfly. Then You can lift out the shaft, and place that into the new Carb (if everything is the same size) Install the Butterfly and Control, and you have the original style choke.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-28-2016, 01:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Is the low adjustment screw missing in that pic of orig carb, or did U take it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 Old 11-28-2016, 02:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
If the Main issue is the choke design, You Should be able to swap the chokes. From the old carb, unscrew the screw that holds the butterfly. Then You can lift out the shaft, and place that into the new Carb (if everything is the same size) Install the Butterfly and Control, and you have the original style choke.
YEP - I do that on a lot of the new carbs I buy on ebay. Be careful though - the brass screws they used on the butterfly shaft are soft and they are also swaged in on the backside if you look. They will not come out easy and the brass usually wants to deform at the screwdriver tip. SO push down firmly when you back them off..... I have had to replace them more than once. Just use a drop of locktite on them when you re-assemble

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page