LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-02-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 317
Likes (Received): 623
Toro Auger Bearing

One of the things I Dislike about working on Toros, is the Bolt Setup for the Auger Bearing. They use carriage bolts instead of a flange with studs like Ariens uses. Instead of pulling the gearbox and impeller as usual, I just tacked the bolts in with the mig welder. Worked out Well. Another thing I've found to make this job easier, is the 5/16 8 point socket on a long extension to remove those 4 point set screws. Just my 2 cents.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-02-2016, 03:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
What model TORO is it??????????

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 8 Old 12-02-2016, 03:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
That is the same set up my 2000 924 powershift has. Mine is currently in pieces waiting for the bushing to come in the mail.

Good idea on the mig weld. I am going to put a spot of JB weld on mine to hold them in place. I do not have a welder.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-12-2016, 04:38 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
i do like toro but man those bearings are a pain. at least with 924 series ariens, if the hub was seized you had something for a puller to bite on because the pulley could be removed from the hub, with those if there seized have fun getting the pulley off
post #5 of 8 Old 12-12-2016, 08:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
One of the things I Dislike about working on Toros, is the Bolt Setup for the Auger Bearing. They use carriage bolts instead of a flange with studs like Ariens uses. Instead of pulling the gearbox and impeller as usual, I just tacked the bolts in with the mig welder. Worked out Well. Another thing I've found to make this job easier, is the 5/16 8 point socket on a long extension to remove those 4 point set screws. Just my 2 cents.
According to the Toro service manual,to get those screws out you use a long 3/8 drive socket extension.You put the ratchet end over the screw and put an adjustable wrench on the square socket end.I did it that way myself,twice,on my Toro 521.Your way is just as good,I'm sure.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-28-2016, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 317
Likes (Received): 623
Had to Do another Toro auger bearing today, only to find My Mig was out of Welding Wire. I was able wrap some Aluminum Foil Strips around the carriage bolts to hold them in place long enough to reassemble things, so I didn't have to pull the rakes and impeller.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-28-2016, 08:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 84
GEvening Guys...... I've seen a few of these PIA Carriage Bolt setups in odd, hard to reach places. This tip is for the guys With OR Without a mig welder (Or ANY welder for that matter). I use what they refer to as "push nuts" on the shaft of the bolt. They are simply stamped spring steel, round outside, much like a washer, and usually star shaped in the center, They are very thin. if you've ever been the first to remove brake drums on a new car, they are the small thin PIA washers that hold on the drum as the car goes down the assembly line. I get then in the 5/16 size (or matched to the size bolt you're working with), they will simply push down the threaded portion of the bolt and hold it in place with enough tension to lock the square in the hole. They are very thin and springy.......Best part is, they are pennies and can be left in place forever, as they will not interfere with the flange or nuts that will go over the bolt. I stock bags of them in all sizes, as I work alone and have 'Alligator Arms'. Hope that helps you all. GLuck, J
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Jackmels liked this post
post #8 of 8 Old 12-28-2016, 08:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 84
Sorry, Quick add-in on the Push Nuts, They are available at any decent hardware store. I use Ace Hardware, but auto/truck parts stores have them also. I can't post pix yet, but google push nuts and they show up.. Fastenall will have them also. GLuck, J
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks cranman thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page