LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-09-2016, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Auger gear box leaking

Hello, I am new to the forum but have read many helpful posts on this website from time to time but this is my first question.

I have an old John Deere 726 blower housing that of course has a fill hole for the recommended 5w20 oil that lubricates the auger housing. I've always maintained the level to the very top (feel it with finger).

Yesterday, I found it to be low after it returned from repairs (not related to the auger gear box) so I attempted to fill to the top as is my customer. I then noticed that oil was dripping onto the garage floor and it was quite a bit.

I recently developed a sight impairment so I'm hard pressed to see where it's coming from. My question is, is, is there a weep or vent hole that may have been plugged up and has somehow been unplugged that is causing this spill or is there a crack or maybe a gasket or something that is replaceable?

There is oil in the auger case but not to the top. Should I be concerned or is it OK to run it 3/4 full? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-09-2016, 08:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windhund42 View Post
Hello, I am new to the forum but have read many helpful posts on this website from time to time but this is my first question.

I have an old John Deere 726 blower housing that of course has a fill hole for the recommended 5w20 oil that lubricates the auger housing. I've always maintained the level to the very top (feel it with finger).

Yesterday, I found it to be low after it returned from repairs (not related to the auger gear box) so I attempted to fill to the top as is my customer. I then noticed that oil was dripping onto the garage floor and it was quite a bit.

I recently developed a sight impairment so I'm hard pressed to see where it's coming from. My question is, is, is there a weep or vent hole that may have been plugged up and has somehow been unplugged that is causing this spill or is there a crack or maybe a gasket or something that is replaceable?

There is oil in the auger case but not to the top. Should I be concerned or is it OK to run it 3/4 full? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
More than likely it is coming through the gasket at the bottom. and if it was quite a bit on the floor. I would not go running it until the leak is found and fixed. otherwise you will smoke those gears to the point of no return. why don't you post some pics of this problem that is presenting itself onto us. I think they finally fixed that BLOODY rule about so many posts here before you can decorate with pics. anyhoo, ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 13 Old 12-09-2016, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the unbelievably fast reply. Do you know if this gasket is readily available and/or difficult to find? Also, is it difficult to replace? Until I am able to make this repair, I have some gear oil in the garage that of course has a much higher viscosity than the current 5w20 and maybe won't leak as much or at all. Since we are expecting quite a few inches of snow today and over the weekend, I would like to use the snow blower but only if using the gear oil is advisable until I can replace the gasket.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-09-2016, 09:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 98
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 313
Likes (Received): 621
Try using 00 grease, available at TSC for $5 a quart. Might Solve the problem easily. I've had Good Luck with it. Super S Cotton Picker Spindle Grease 00 - For Life Out Here
post #5 of 13 Old 12-09-2016, 09:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1142
Tip it up onto it's bucket and let the rest of the oil flow out. then run to your friendly hood hardware store and get a big old tube of white lithium grease and empty that in to it for now. I have no clue on the where to find that gasket. but to be honest with you if you are in your retirement era of this thing called life. you are better off letting a shop do the work. because it is a complete takedown of the auger assm. and there are some tools and tricks that are better left to the pro's on this 1. I am not trying to be disrespectful to you and your retirement era of this life. trust me it is a tough piece of meat to chew on to get this job completed. I have done it a few times and I broken a sweat doing it and every one here knows that I hate to sweat. so in closing I gave you a band aid fix for now. but get it to your friendly hood fix it shop as soon as time permits.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 13 Old 12-09-2016, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you gentlemen for the great, immediate advice, I do appreciate it. Special thanks to Powershift93 for the gear box tear down insights. Not my cup of tea at all. I just want to get this old blower through a couple more Central NY winters before I head south so a teardown is not what I am interested in and certainly not worth the expense
I double checked my garage and I have specifically a bottle of 75w-90 semi synthetic gear oil and a tube of Lubriplate low temperature grease that I usually use on my Genie screw drive garage door opener. I would think one of these would be OK to use, particularly the Lubriplate, don't you think?

Last edited by Windhund42; 12-09-2016 at 09:45 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
i would use the lubriplate if i had nothing else, but if you could get it i would highly recommend using the 00 grease, that what i use if i encounter a gearbox that seeps on machines i sell, just drain the old oil and pack it full of the 00
post #8 of 13 Old 12-09-2016, 12:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 397
Also... if a new factory-stamped gasket is not readily available, usually bulk gasket paper is, in rolls, from any reputable automotive supply source. Has saved my bacon more than once.

post #9 of 13 Old 12-09-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Great tips, thanks. I actually found the 00 grease at my local TSC (only one left!) so I'm going to try that first to see if it works. If I can't get all of the 5w20 out of the gearbox, would that possibly affect the 00 grease? I don't want to go overboard here since everyone has been so kind, just wondering if the 5w20 mixing with the 00 would be a concern. Thanks again.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-09-2016, 12:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 397
It'll be fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page