post #1 of 4 Old 12-12-2016, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Need some help..simplicty 755

Hi everyone!

I picked up an old simplicity 7hp snowblower and it runs great. Made a quick run in 8 inches of light snow and the auger quit turning, i continued to unclog the the auger blades until they would turn again and every few feet i had to repeat the process, not very productive so i eventually gave up and grabbed a shovel to finish the job.

Anyway, after troublehooting a little more today, this is what i know...

1. Belts look ok after inspection, i proceeded to adjust the idler wheel to tighten the belt that engages the auger, however this did not change anything with the performance.

2. My next step was to watch the belts with the cover off while i replicated the problem with the auger stopping. My observation was that the belts continued to spin with the engagement lever completely down while the auger was clogged and not spinning freely. Not sure if this is normal.

3. Shear pins are both intact.

4. Auger blades turn freely by hand when machine is off and in neutral, Again, i'm assuming this is normal, however im obviously no expert with these machines.

Anyone out there have an idea on what the problem could be and what to try next?

Much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-12-2016, 04:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 73
Does the impeller continue to spin when the augers stop?The impeller is the fan that blows the snow out of the shute.

If your augers are not spinning under load with a good,well adjusted belt,the gears in your auger drive box are shot.The impeller will spin anyway.You've ruled out the shearpins.

A long shot could be a sheared auger drive pulley key,not likely, but could happen..I have an Allis 828,made by Simplicity that the entire hub ripped right out of the drive pulley.Instead of replacing the pulley,some clown welded it back together and proceeded to weld the hub to the drive shaft.I didn't enjoy grinding all that weld off to get the pulley off for a bearing replacement job.$75 pulley,glad I could reuse it.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-12-2016, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the impeller continues to spin when the auger blades stop. So sounds like gears in drive box?
post #4 of 4 Old 12-12-2016, 07:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the impeller continues to spin when the auger blades stop. So sounds like gears in drive box?
Unfortunately,yes.To me,the worst part of replacing those gears is getting the drive pulley off.They are often rusted to the shaft.Nothing a little heat,swearing,penetrating oil,swearing,more heat and more swearing can't resolve.Gears can be VERY pricey,though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page