Need help on a Craftsman 917.881063 snow blower - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-14-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Need help on a Craftsman 917.881063 snow blower

Hi. Just joined your forum. Looking for help on my Craftsman 1450 series 30" snow blower, model 917.881063. Unit is about 9 years old. The spring that works the "dead man lever" on the auger control lever broke. The manual is not that explicit on the parts description but I believe the spring is detail 65 on page 52. I believe one end goes into item 59, idler arm, but I cannot find where the other end goes. Since this is a safety issue, I want to get it fixed correctly before letting my son or anyone else use it. Anyone have any experience on this unit?

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-14-2016, 06:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 26
Garage
Have you tried Sears on line parts and see if you can find the parts diagram.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Let It Snow
Toro 928 HD OHXE
Sent from my desk top using a key board.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-14-2016, 08:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 50
This?

-efisher-
post #4 of 4 Old 12-14-2016, 08:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Received): 21
This I believe is the part #532178828. Google images has lots of links to purchase it. Common sense tells me, you look at the idler pulley to see the direction it works, so that when the lever is engaged to work the auger, it will take up the slack on the belt and work the auger and is also simultaneously pulling the spring back thus taking off the brake from the auger sheave . On the flip side when you let go of the lever you are essentially giving back the slack to the belt so not to work the auger. The "dead man lever" which you mention is the bracket which has the brake pad to instantly stop the auger sheave. The spring will work the bracket the opposite direction the the idler pulley works when the lever is pushed down. So, one side of the spring goes onto the brake mechanism and the other end will hook in to a hole or slot on the bucket itself in the direction where the spring will have tension to hold back the rotation of the auger sheave. You will need to pull the spring to install it. It always has tension.

edit:
The diagram makes it look like the idler mounts in the top hole and the spring goes to the bottom hole. Therefore, stretch it so that it (spring) will brake/stop the sheave and then look for the the hole somewhere that direction on the back of the impeller housing.

This link may help you.

Last edited by all3939; 12-14-2016 at 08:53 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page