LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Too much tension on auger belt?

I have a new Craftsman 247.881980 snow blower that keeps throwing the belt very quickly after engaging the auger fully. It *appears* that the pulley is pushing the belt off the drive pulley. (It looks like the belt is twisting.)

I'm guessing this is a rare issue as most auger belt problems are because of a belt that's too loose. Has anyone had this issue?

Also, the pulleys are not aligned. I'm thinking this is really Ok as the tension on the belt, if adjusted correctly, will keep the belt on the pulleys. Correct?

Thanks for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 09:22 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Pulleys not aligned is not correct. "New" take it back. New to you..... did it ever work correctly, or is the pulleys out of alignment only after working on the belt?
post #3 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 10:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Agree - the alignment is off somehow I bet....... check that the right belt is on there (rides deep in the pulleys) and that the engine pulley is in line with the auger pulley when the lever is tight. You may have to loosen the engine bolts and align it a touch if not. That looks like one that I have and the pulley actually tilts quite a bit when it's going in/out of operation. I had a hard time getting it right when I re-powered it with a Honda...... same deal, it kept throwing belts. It was very finicky about staying aligned.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/mode...erm=247.881980

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 11:28 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Now that I see the schematic (thanks bad69cat), I remember doing some maintenance on a neighbors.
This is the one with no friction drive, just a simple lawnmower tranny, single forward, no belly pan?
On those they have a couple weak spots to check. The engine sheaves (small pulleys on crankshaft) are 2 piece, make sure the center bolt/washer is tight on end and the sheaves have not lost their integral key. The auger pulley, (bigger lower one) has a bolt with washer holding it to the impeller shaft. Make sure it's tight also, but need to make sure the little dogs line up into the slots in the middle of the pulley face. If it was put on wrong and the dogs are not aligned or sheared, the belt will never drive correct. Also, if you or someone else put a belt on through the belt inspection cover, flip the machine up and look underneath. Make sure they didn't route the belt around the brake bracket or the keeper stud. The belt should be sitting inside of everything and only on the pulley groove.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
Pulleys not aligned is not correct. "New" take it back. New to you..... did it ever work correctly, or is the pulleys out of alignment only after working on the belt?
This is a new blower and I was lucky to get it. I could return it, but then I'll be left with nothing and I think I got it for a pretty good price. (There are no more in stock in my area.) I'm pretty handy, so I'd like to fix it if it's a minor fix.

I can't believe that the pulleys are misaligned from the factory, but I guess it's possible. I put the belt back on and slowly turned the pulleys and found at some point the belt starts twisting, and thus the belt gets thrown.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69cat View Post
Agree - the alignment is off somehow I bet....... check that the right belt is on there (rides deep in the pulleys) and that the engine pulley is in line with the auger pulley when the lever is tight. You may have to loosen the engine bolts and align it a touch if not. That looks like one that I have and the pulley actually tilts quite a bit when it's going in/out of operation. I had a hard time getting it right when I re-powered it with a Honda...... same deal, it kept throwing belts. It was very finicky about staying aligned.
Thanks bad69cat. I think it's a alignment problem too. Loosening the engine bolts will allow me to get the pulleys aligned? I'm new to snow blowers...

Last edited by ssiddall; 12-15-2016 at 01:50 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 01:35 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Did you tilt it up and watch from underneath? Since it is new, try tilting it forward as if you were going to put it on it's nose and watch the seam between bucket and the tractor. Maybe the bolts on the sides were not tightened properly. Here's a video that shows the brake assembly and keeper stud I mentioned.
Clearly seen around the 15:05 mark. Notice how the belt is inside those two things.

You can see the dogs and pulley face here in this videos also.

Last edited by jtclays; 12-15-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #8 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
Now that I see the schematic (thanks bad69cat), I remember doing some maintenance on a neighbors.
This is the one with no friction drive, just a simple lawnmower tranny, single forward, no belly pan?
On those they have a couple weak spots to check. The engine sheaves (small pulleys on crankshaft) are 2 piece, make sure the center bolt/washer is tight on end and the sheaves have not lost their integral key. The auger pulley, (bigger lower one) has a bolt with washer holding it to the impeller shaft. Make sure it's tight also, but need to make sure the little dogs line up into the slots in the middle of the pulley face. If it was put on wrong and the dogs are not aligned or sheared, the belt will never drive correct. Also, if you or someone else put a belt on through the belt inspection cover, flip the machine up and look underneath. Make sure they didn't route the belt around the brake bracket or the keeper stud. The belt should be sitting inside of everything and only on the pulley groove.
Thanks for the input jtclays. I'll check this stuff when I get home.

Is it common for new blowers to have problems like this?
post #9 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 01:45 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
No. Depends who puts it together. If you route the belts wrong or don't tighten the bucket to tractor bolts correctly on a $4000 Honda, it won't run right either
post #10 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the videos! Extremely helpful! (Goes without saying, I suppose. :-) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page