Crafstman 536.88180 need to adjust height adjusting skids and scraper blade - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 12-17-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Crafstman 536.88180 need to adjust height adjusting skids and scraper blade

Hello,

This year I replaced the scraper blade and skids on my Craftsman 536.88180.

For the skids, I used these,
Height Adjusting Skid, Replaces 1740718HMA, 1740718AYP, 780061MA ($5)

This was a mistake. I didn't want to pay $15 each, but these really don't fit. The lip is the same size on both sides, so the skid won't sit properly. I used a 5lb hammer and an anvil to pound one of the lips flat so now it fits. It's a bit of a bush fix, but I think it's ok.

The scraper blade was almost gone altogether, so I replaced it with,
Scraper Blade 1740949BMYP ($15)
https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDet...49BMYP/2986692
The scraper looks fine as far as I can tell.

I also replaced all of the carriage bolts with these,
Carriage bolts, Stainless steel 18-8, 5/16"-18 (27 cents)
https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-De...ount=18&nv=rel
Hex nuts, Stainless steel 18-8, 5/16"-18 (10 cents)
https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-De...ount=18&nv=rel

I couldn't believe what vendors were charging for these bolts when sold as a snowblower part. Sears wanted $4 each for the bolts and another $2 each for the nuts. That's $50 to replace all 8, and they were not even stainless. some sites wanted as much as $8 per bolt. Anyway, this bolt depot is one of the best places I have done business with. No java script to get their site to work, no need to create an account to order, $5 shipping and the parts were here the next day (they are actually close to me).

At any rate, after replacing all of this hardware, the plow is not scraping well at all. It is bouncing along getting caught on everything and it very hard to control. I used a straight edge to make sure that the scraper was at the same level as the skids and I'm not really sure what else to do.

Can anyone let me know how to go about adjusting these parts to get the ride a bit smoother and let the scraper do a good job cleaning up? Should the scraper be lower than the skids? Is the problem the cheep skids I used?

I need a little advice here from someone who has done this many times.

Thanks,

LMHmedchem

Last edited by LMHmedchem; 12-17-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-17-2016, 04:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Received): 50
I set the shoes with the scrapper bar having a little gap to the ground. You can use paint sticks and or a piece of brown cardboard box.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks LMHmedchem thanked for this post
post #3 of 30 Old 12-17-2016, 05:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City View Post
I set the shoes with the scrapper bar having a little gap to the ground. You can use paint sticks and or a piece of brown cardboard box.

Right on the money. Set a small gap between the scraper and ground (eg paint sticks) and set your skids on the ground - done.
post #4 of 30 Old 12-17-2016, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I adjusted the skids and scraper with the handle on the ground and the scoop up in the air because it was easier to work with like that. I had to cut off some of the old bolts and such and just positioned it so I could get to everything. I guess I should have thought of putting the scoop back on the ground to adjust the final height.

Do you think the skids I used will work or should I try to get the proper part?

Thanks for the tip.

LMHmedchem
post #5 of 30 Old 12-17-2016, 08:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMHmedchem View Post
I adjusted the skids and scraper with the handle on the ground and the scoop up in the air because it was easier to work with like that. I had to cut off some of the old bolts and such and just positioned it so I could get to everything. I guess I should have thought of putting the scoop back on the ground to adjust the final height.

Do you think the skids I used will work or should I try to get the proper part?

Thanks for the tip.

LMHmedchem
I put the same skids on a machine I flip'd. But I just picked up another and ordered the same skids, yours should use. Their pretty pricey. But if it was my machine, I'd order the correct ones. The other skids seem to small for that machine.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #6 of 30 Old 12-17-2016, 08:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Hate to say it, but stainless steel nuts and bolts can be a real problem if the threads gaul.

You might be better to use cheap bolts and nuts so that if they rust solid, you will be able to break them off or twist them off.

That won't work with a seized stainless fastener. Those things are tough.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #7 of 30 Old 12-17-2016, 09:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 270
Likes (Given): 371
Likes (Received): 912
I have been using paint sticks under the scraper bar for 20 years at least. Put a couple sticks lengthwise under the scraper bar, loosen the skid bolts and let the skids drop down.Tighten the skid bolts while making sure the skid is flat on the ground. Remove paint sticks and begin blowing snow

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #8 of 30 Old 12-18-2016, 02:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Received): 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
I have been using paint sticks under the scraper bar for 20 years at least. Put a couple sticks lengthwise under the scraper bar, loosen the skid bolts and let the skids drop down.Tighten the skid bolts while making sure the skid is flat on the ground. Remove paint sticks and begin blowing snow
One thing I see has NOT been mentioned here. Prior to scraper bar/skid shoe adjustments, It's of utmost importance to inflate tire to correct PSI first. The relation of the scraper bar to the skid shoes is based off the position from the rear tires. If the scraper bar is adjusted with under inflated tires, then when you fill the tires to proper psi, you'll throw the gap off on the scraper bar. I top off the air every year prior to first use. Baring any wear from the previous years use my scraper bar is always on the money.
post #9 of 30 Old 12-18-2016, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I put the same skids on a machine I flip'd. But I just picked up another and ordered the same skids, yours should use. Their pretty pricey. But if it was my machine, I'd order the correct ones. The other skids seem to small for that machine.
Do you have a recommendation for a site to buy the skid from? The best price I can find is $40 with shipping,
Murray 309016E701MA Height Adjuster Skid | eBay

That seems an awful lot for $2 worth of steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
Hate to say it, but stainless steel nuts and bolts can be a real problem if the threads gaul.

You might be better to use cheap bolts and nuts so that if they rust solid, you will be able to break them off or twist them off.

That won't work with a seized stainless fastener. Those things are tough.
I actually cut of the original bolts with an angle grinder. I always find that to be the fastest method if I have access. I would use a torch other wise but I'm not sure how well that would work on stainless.

Do you know what kind of steel was use for the OE parts? Since the OE parts seem to run $2.50-$8.00 per bolt, I would probably just keep using stainless and replace them every two years or so. Where would you recommenced getting bolts from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by all3939 View Post
One thing I see has NOT been mentioned here. Prior to scraper bar/skid shoe adjustments, It's of utmost importance to inflate tire to correct PSI first. The relation of the scraper bar to the skid shoes is based off the position from the rear tires. If the scraper bar is adjusted with under inflated tires, then when you fill the tires to proper psi, you'll throw the gap off on the scraper bar. I top off the air every year prior to first use. Baring any wear from the previous years use my scraper bar is always on the money.
Thanks, that is a good tip. I actually have no idea what the correct tire pressure is. I usually just step on the tires and see if they are soft. If they are, I add a little air from my compressor. I guess that's not such a good idea.

LMHmedchem
post #10 of 30 Old 12-18-2016, 03:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I bought from this person, on Ebay. I know, they are ridiculous in price. But their aren't much choices on shoes, with 2in on center, for the bolts.

OEM Snowblower Skid With Hardware fits Sears Craftsman / Murray 309016E701MA | eBay

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page