LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 12-20-2016, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
How to free up augers rusted to shaft?

I have three old blowers in which at least one auger is seized to the shaft. I don't want to run them this way and risk stripping out the gears.

On one, a Simplicity 860, I can't move the shaft endwise even with a sledge hammer.

Does anybody have suggestions on how to free these up? heat might help but I don't have a torch adequate to get things hot enough.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-20-2016, 10:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 293
MAP gas is surprisingly effective at freeing up rusted stuff. It isn't always necessary to get metal cherry red. Shocking the component helps alot to.

Heat the part then spray with water to rapid cool. Another method is applying constant force with a puller and using an air hammer and blunt chisel to shock the corrosion.
post #3 of 24 Old 12-20-2016, 10:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 216
I would start by dripping thru some PB Blaster for days and days, but quite frankly, heat is your best friend.
post #4 of 24 Old 12-21-2016, 12:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Had to do this the other day. Liquid wrench penetrating oil, propane torch, rotating the auger on the shaft back and forth. I also drilled several holes in the auger but stopping before it went into the shaft. Spray penetrating oil in there and heat repeatedly while rotating. Probably took 1.5 hours to get the auger free.
post #5 of 24 Old 12-21-2016, 12:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 124
post #6 of 24 Old 12-21-2016, 02:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by amuller View Post
On one, a Simplicity 860, I can't move the shaft endwise even with a sledge hammer.
I have an Allis Chalmers Sno-Pro 828(same as a Simplicity 870) and discovered recently that one auger is stuck on the shaft.Interstingly,the Simplicity parts manual shows two grease fittings for each auger,the Allis parts manual does,too.However,the actual machine has NONE,and the augers have no holes for them.

I removed the shear pin and ran it through a large, icy EOD hoping it would break the auger loose,but it didn't happen.
post #7 of 24 Old 12-21-2016, 03:52 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
This actually works. It is not hard to make with scrap material and a battery charger. Even if you don't have the battery charger a cheapo trickle charger works. You can just leave it in there for a day and then try a vibration technique after to loosen it fully. I used to whack 'em and pry, used a buddies acetylene and shop press......this is much easier. It's not fast for putting something into service quickly though. More of a resto type process. It also works for driving out impeller shaft roll pins
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks cranman thanked for this post
post #8 of 24 Old 12-21-2016, 03:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 41
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlapaglia View Post
Had to do this the other day. Liquid wrench penetrating oil, propane torch, rotating the auger on the shaft back and forth. I also drilled several holes in the auger but stopping before it went into the shaft. Spray penetrating oil in there and heat repeatedly while rotating. Probably took 1.5 hours to get the auger free.
I'm not sure about drilling more holes in to the shaft of the auger, wouldn't that cause it rust quicker?
post #9 of 24 Old 12-21-2016, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
I've tried electrolysis for rust removal and it does work. But I wonder if it would work well for auger shafts, where the rust is buried down in the annular space between the shaft and the tube. Plus, one would need a sizeable tank for full-size augers.
post #10 of 24 Old 12-21-2016, 07:12 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
I use a rubbermaid plastic storage tote and it fits 1/2 the auger easy standing on end. I just did a 30" Craftsman that had one side locked. The volume of water/bath has no bearing, the neg and pos still pull.
I did drill a dimple in the end of the auger shaft and hit it with an air hammer while turning the auger afterwards. All you need is that first breath of movement and your all set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page