No oil dipstick - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-27-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 28
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
No oil dipstick

I bought a Noma 10/27 snowblower with no dipstick under oil cap. How much oil and what type do I use? It has a Tecumseh motor with electric start.

MODEL SERIAL
Noma Signature 200152
CN 1027DE 2265
582978

HMSK100 159212S SER 2252D
Newt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 12-27-2016, 10:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Vermont's NorthEast Kingdom
Posts: 397
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 66
I think I'd be inclined to buy a new Dipstick first:

Tecumseh Part 36205, DIPSTICK | PartsTree.com

If you're not familiar with the history of that specific engine, I might also get a new Fill Tube, just to make sure that the new dipstick is descending to the correct level in the crankcase. I've known people to have mis-matched dipsticks and fill tubes which has led to underfilling and/or over-filling the crankcase:

Tecumseh Part 35554, FILLER TUBE | PartsTree.com

In the meantime, you may discover that the original dipstick broke off from the cap and is down in the sump. Removing the current Tube may also allow you to look at the casting and see the markings for how much oil to put in (the old fashioned way) and use that as a guideline temporarily. You can use your old parts to plug the hole while you await the new parts "if necessary".
Vermont007 is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 12-27-2016, 10:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Vermont's NorthEast Kingdom
Posts: 397
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 66
If you didn't get an Owners Manual for the HMSK100; then this PDF will help:

http://www.tecumsehpower.com/CustomerService/BSI.pdf

Page 9 will indicate you'll take 26 Ounces (720 ML) the of Oil. You choose the type based on your climate.

I think that if it's cold enough to snow, then SAE 10W30 would be the choice of most people.
Vermont007 is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #4 of 10 Old 12-27-2016, 03:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Central NH
Posts: 407
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 120
Likes (Received): 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont007 View Post
If you didn't get an Owners Manual for the HMSK100; then this PDF will help:


You choose the type based on your climate.

I think that if it's cold enough to snow, then SAE 10W30 would be the choice of most people.
Every Tecumseh snowblower engine manual I've looked at recommends 5W-30 for winter use.

Straight from a Tecumseh service manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	94650  

Last edited by Mike C.; 12-27-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Mike C. is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jtclays liked this post
post #5 of 10 Old 12-27-2016, 03:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 52
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
5w30 synthetic your flavor of choice.
unvjustintime is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 12-27-2016, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
 
Kiss4aFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 9,859
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 591
Thanks (Received): 773
Likes (Given): 4374
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
to SBF Newt

.
Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kiss4aFrog is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 12-27-2016, 05:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Vermont's NorthEast Kingdom
Posts: 397
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C.
". . . Every Tecumseh snowblower engine manual I've looked at recommends 5W-30 for winter use . . ."
Actually, the Tecumseh Manual for which I supplied a PDF earlier today recommends 0W30 (again, see Page 9); but the fact is that all three grades, 0W30, 5W30, and 10W30 will all achieve the same viscosity at normal engine operating temperatures . . . . that of 30 Weight Oil.

The first number just designates the oil's cold thickness at start-up; a 0W30 will present less resistance and thus make for easier start-ups versus the 5W or 10W. But with the OP's Electric Starter, it won't even be noticed, and I personally prefer the additional lubricating qualities of 10W at start-up.

Someone using a recoil starter may detect a little more resistance with 10W30 than they would with 0W30. It's a judgement call. But whatever grade of oil you choose, it should be 26 Ounces.
Vermont007 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 12-27-2016, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 232
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont007 View Post
I think I'd be inclined to buy a new Dipstick first:

Tecumseh Part 36205, DIPSTICK | PartsTree.com

If you're not familiar with the history of that specific engine, I might also get a new Fill Tube, just to make sure that the new dipstick is descending to the correct level in the crankcase. I've known people to have mis-matched dipsticks and fill tubes which has led to underfilling and/or over-filling the crankcase:

Tecumseh Part 35554, FILLER TUBE | PartsTree.com

In the meantime, you may discover that the original dipstick broke off from the cap and is down in the sump. Removing the current Tube may also allow you to look at the casting and see the markings for how much oil to put in (the old fashioned way) and use that as a guideline temporarily. You can use your old parts to plug the hole while you await the new parts "if necessary".
I would also make certain the missing dip stick isn't sitting on the bottom of that fill tube waiting for the action to begin.
all3939 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 12-27-2016, 08:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Central NH
Posts: 407
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 120
Likes (Received): 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont007 View Post
Actually, the Tecumseh Manual for which I supplied a PDF earlier today recommends 0W30 (again, see Page 9); but the fact is that all three grades, 0W30, 5W30, and 10W30 will all achieve the same viscosity at normal engine operating temperatures . . . . that of 30 Weight Oil.

The first number just designates the oil's cold thickness at start-up; a 0W30 will present less resistance and thus make for easier start-ups versus the 5W or 10W. But with the OP's Electric Starter, it won't even be noticed, and I personally prefer the additional lubricating qualities of 10W at start-up.

Someone using a recoil starter may detect a little more resistance with 10W30 than they would with 0W30. It's a judgement call. But whatever grade of oil you choose, it should be 26 Ounces.
According to the PDF you keep referring me to,0w-30 is only really necessary over 5w-30 at temperatures below -20F.

Once again,referring to your PDF,10w-30 is not a recommended oil grade,that was my original point.Personal preferences are fine,but especially when an engine is under warranty,I go with what the folks who built the engine say you should use.
Mike C. is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 12-27-2016, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
 
Kiss4aFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 9,859
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 591
Thanks (Received): 773
Likes (Given): 4374
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
Knowing how much it takes to fill it up is good but checking between operations is important too. Any chance it has a plug down at the bottom of the engine you could use for routine checks until you get a dipstick ??


.
Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kiss4aFrog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome