post #1 of 15 Old 12-27-2016, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
jfl

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Draining oil on Toro Powermax 928.

Silly question here, but...I purchased a Toro PowerMax 928 a couple of weeks ago and noticed the oil drain tube is on the side over the large 16'' wheel. There's really no room to fit any kind of oil pan between the wheel and the drain tube. Neither the dealer or Toro was able to offer a solution. Both said: read the manual (the manual just shows the tube and says 'unscrew'...duh!). Every other oil drain I've seen is in the back, which also allows you to tilt the unit back to get every bit out. The only thing I was able to fit was a plastic container 16 oz of hamburger comes in, and that's not going to capture 32 oz of engine oil. I'm guessing I'll need to find some sort of long neck funnel that's small enough to fit.. A normal transmission funnel is too big at the top. Anyone own one of these beasts who can fill me in on how to not make a mess emptying the oil? (Why ever did Toro put it in this location?!?)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Toro-8-2-4 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-27-2016, 04:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 16
Remove the wheel,with a 4x4 holding up the snowblower,under the belly pan.
Put coffee can under the output .
Grease the axle when you replace the wheel.

Ariens 924116 10 hp 28
Ariens 924024 8 hp 32 now a 10 hp
Ariens 910008 7 hp 24
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jtclays, jrom liked this post
post #3 of 15 Old 12-27-2016, 04:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 73
That engine actually holds a whole quart of oil?Forgive me if this is a stupid question,I'm completely unfamiliar with newer machines,especially Toros.My newest is a 1988.
Likes Lakeeffect liked this post
post #4 of 15 Old 12-27-2016, 07:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 4
Find a cheap long neck funnel. It should wedge in place where you can drain the oil in a pan or container. I bought mine for $2 at Advance Auto parts. I have a Toro HD 826 OXE and this worked very well. There is no need to remove the wheel, but as mentioned above it is a good idea to grease the axles especially if you have to move end of driveway (EOD) snow build up. The wheels do come off easily. I prop the blower up with a brick then remove a wheel at a time.
Also I recommend that you tilt your blower on the bucket and remove the bottom plate and get familiar with the hex shaft that needs to be lightly oiled each year. I also took several pictures as a reference as the blower wears. Mine was very well lubricated.

Last edited by Eafoxjr; 12-27-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Likes Lakeeffect liked this post
post #5 of 15 Old 12-27-2016, 07:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 52
CHEAP SOLUTION: Save the empty quart bottle from the next quart of oil. You will use this to make a funnel. Use a utility knife to cut out either the bottom of the bottle or the NARROW SIDE of the bottle. Before cutting, see which will work best for your particular situation. In some cases, you may find it more convenient to keep the cap on the empty bottle while you are draining the oil from your blower and then "empty your funnel" when you are finished (if your blower's oil capacity is <1 quart).
post #6 of 15 Old 12-27-2016, 08:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
Some good suggestions. I have also heard some people folding a piece of cardboard to channel it into an oil pan without removing the wheel. It is a poor design, how much more would it cost them to put a drain tube facing the rear of the machine where it belongs.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 Old 12-27-2016, 08:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Youse know that DRAINZIT has an app for that.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 15 Old 12-28-2016, 09:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 0
Excellent idea about using a cut out oil bottle, although I too had already used the cheap long neck funnel like Eafoxjr mentioned when I recently changed mine. I'd also considered (quickly) attaching soft plastic tubing as an option.
What I would really like however, is for Toro (or someone) to manufacture an open faced long neck extension tube made of their chute plastic, which could simply snap onto the underside of drain pipe and extend out past the wheel, where oil could be caught more conveniently and without the concern of (holding onto) a funnel or having another container precariously balancing itself upon the tire while the oil drains.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-28-2016, 10:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 2
I don't know about the 928, but on my 826 OE, with a B&S engine, I noticed that there are two places to drain the oil. The plug in the back, that has the long extension tube, and another plug on the side over the left wheel. Does yours have the same layout? If so, trade places for the extension tube?

2013 Toro PowerMax 826 OE Model # 37772
post #10 of 15 Old 12-29-2016, 10:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Unfortunately a lot of machines come with lousy oil drain setups. I think most of them are 1/4" NPT plugs though ('cept Honda's) and you can buy pipe nipples and a 90 elbow if needed to get them to an easier place to deal with it. Be sure to use teflon tape on the threads.....

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

Likes Toro-8-2-4 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page