Craftsman C950-52432-0 chute won't rotate until warm? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-30-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Question Craftsman C950-52432-0 chute won't rotate until warm?

Greetings:

We have a curious issue with the snowblower (3rd Winter) where the electric chute won't rotate reliably until the machine is sitting warming up for about 10-15 minutes and even then it's a little spotty requiring repeated button presses. We didn't need to do this in previous years. We checked the manual and applied lubricant to the chute rotation gear but it doesn't appear to have helped.

Are we missing something obvious? Did a bit of searching and I've seen mentions of water seeping in places and freezing causing chute rotation issues but we haven't been able to see where this occur on our model.

Happy New Year and thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-30-2016, 09:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 50
Water in switch or dead spot electric motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 12-30-2016, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.fisher26 View Post
Water in switch or dead spot electric motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since I'm not sure where to locate the switch or how to even address a dead spot, I guess I have to bring this in huh?
post #4 of 10 Old 12-31-2016, 10:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 58
Does the headlight dim when you press a chute button (but the chute doesn't move)? If yes then the switch and wiring are ok and the cause is mechanical, such as frozen in ice or binding somewhere). If the headlight doesn't dim at all, and does dim when the chute does work, then check out the switch and wiring.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks No_Style thanked for this post
post #5 of 10 Old 12-31-2016, 10:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
The switch is the part you press on to operate the chute rotate or tilt. Probably two switches, one for each function.

Assuming you have two motors, one for tilt and one for rotate, do they both exhibit the same problem? I would be looking at connections, particularly plugs in wiring harnesses.

Find the plugs that connect the motor wires back to the switches and open up the connectors, look for corrosion etc. Snap them open and closed a few times and see if that solves the problem in the short term.

If things work after that, you might need to put some contact cleaner into the connectors, then seal them up with tape or heat shrink tubing to keep water out of them.

Might also be a good idea to check any other plugin connectors you find on the machine while you're at it. Flakey electrical connections can cause a lot of headaches.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #6 of 10 Old 12-31-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyl View Post
Does the headlight dim when you press a chute button (but the chute doesn't move)? If yes then the switch and wiring are ok and the cause is mechanical, such as frozen in ice or binding somewhere). If the headlight doesn't dim at all, and does dim when the chute does work, then check out the switch and wiring.
Thanks! Yes. The headlight does dim when the chute rotation button is pressed but the chute doesn't move. So you are probably right to suspect something is frozen in ice. Now to determine where...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
The switch is the part you press on to operate the chute rotate or tilt. Probably two switches, one for each function.

Assuming you have two motors, one for tilt and one for rotate, do they both exhibit the same problem? I would be looking at connections, particularly plugs in wiring harnesses.

Find the plugs that connect the motor wires back to the switches and open up the connectors, look for corrosion etc. Snap them open and closed a few times and see if that solves the problem in the short term.

If things work after that, you might need to put some contact cleaner into the connectors, then seal them up with tape or heat shrink tubing to keep water out of them.

Might also be a good idea to check any other plugin connectors you find on the machine while you're at it. Flakey electrical connections can cause a lot of headaches.
Thanks for the advice. (I was overthinking the definition of switch for some reason) Only the rotation button is exhibiting the problem. We can tilt the chute up and down without issue.

Last edited by No_Style; 12-31-2016 at 11:31 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-31-2016, 12:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 66
A little silicone lubricant in the areas that freeze may help inhibit icing up.

I keep a hair dryer handy in the garage to deal with those areas; especially if there's been a thaw since the last usage.

And don't press that button too many times or you'll burn out the little servo.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-31-2016, 12:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Sounds like you know where to look now. Maybe you can post a picture or two of the area where the rotation motor attaches. You might try and see if there is any adjustment room on the motor to give it a bit more clearance for the gear teeth in case they are meshed too tightly.

You might also want to try rigging up a little raincoat over the motor area. Some of the snow is probably landing right on top if it and the melt seeps into the gears where they mesh and freezes up. Do you sweep the snow and slush off the machine after use before putting it away? Is it in a dry storage location? Don't suppose the storage location is heated is it?

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #9 of 10 Old 12-31-2016, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
My apologies, everyone. It looks like my earlier account from my dad was mistaken. After trying the snowblower for myself, it does indeed look like an electrical issue. The headlight does not dim unless the chute is moving. We're going to look into and see if there's anyway to remove the hard plastic harness to improve contact with the switch's prongs.

Thanks for all the help thus far.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-02-2017, 10:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 58
I had trouble with one of the switches being intermittent (the chute UP button) and in examining things I noticed that I could not get the connector holding the wires to the switch fully seated. I ended up extracting each wire lug from the plastic connector body (by pressing the anti-backup tab on the lugs with a tiny screwdriver) and installing the lugs directly to the switch. No more issues. I'll have to tie wrap the wires to something nearby to avoid anything getting pulled out by mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page