LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 01-06-2017, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
gas maintenance?

Talking with my Ariens dealer, he was adamant about treating your gas. He claimed 80% of his service work is due to gas-related issues ... moisture in the gas, using bad/degraded gas and the effects on carburetors.

In the past I never worried about it. Am I wrong? What do folks do here?

Toro 1028 Powershift (fried)
Ariens Platinum 24" SHO 369cc (on the way)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-06-2017, 08:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 35
Likes (Received): 14
If you use what you buy in a very short time (on the order of a few weeks) then you will probably get away without treating your gas. If you leave gas sitting for months you are gambling.

I don't like to gamble with my expensive power equipment, and am a believer in stabilizing gas when it's purchased so I have one less worry in my life. I've used stabil in the past and now I'm trying out seafoam.
post #3 of 30 Old 01-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 16
My 2 cents

I buy gas in 5 gallon can,usually 2 at a time.Have to buy super ,to get non ethanol here in Ontario,I use it within 60 days or it goes in the truck.
Seems like a hassle,but my snowblower,lawn mower and generator never need the carb cleaned,and all run well.

In summer I'll add stabilizer,if I remember.

Ariens 924116 10 hp 28
Ariens 924024 8 hp 32 now a 10 hp
Ariens 910008 7 hp 24
post #4 of 30 Old 01-06-2017, 09:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 35
Likes (Received): 14
Man, if I could get pump non-ethanol I would surely do that, but it's simply not available near me. Ethanol is responsible for most of what makes storing gas so tricky these days, as I understand it.
post #5 of 30 Old 01-06-2017, 09:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 29
Been there, JD. You made the right choice, in my opinion and experience. Sea Foam will do the job. Sta-Bil is where I started but ended up cleaning carbs and throwing wrenches.

May I ask why you switched from Sta-Bil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in NJ View Post
If you use what you buy in a very short time (on the order of a few weeks) then you will probably get away without treating your gas. If you leave gas sitting for months you are gambling.

I don't like to gamble with my expensive power equipment, and am a believer in stabilizing gas when it's purchased so I have one less worry in my life. I've used stabil in the past and now I'm trying out seafoam.
post #6 of 30 Old 01-06-2017, 10:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Likes (Given): 34
Likes (Received): 112
The gas now a days is pretty bad most people just throw in regular and store it full of gas for over a year sometimes. that is not good.

my dads brother has owned a lawn and garden shop for 25+ years. they have even done tests on local gasoline for ethanol content.

regular was 8% and premium was 3% ethanol. so long story short run premium and stabil is not needed especially if you store it dry. if you are running 2 stroke dont worry about it to much as most of the mix's have a stabilizing agent along with the oil.

Toro snow commander 7hp RTEK ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Ariens sno-tek 26" 208cc LCT
Ariens st824 924082 HMSK 80 ....Ariens path pro 136cc
post #7 of 30 Old 01-06-2017, 10:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Can you run it completely dry if you don't remove the bowl, or at least use a drain screw if it has one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbelt_subie View Post
The gas now a days is pretty bad most people just throw in regular and store it full of gas for over a year sometimes. that is not good.

my dads brother has owned a lawn and garden shop for 25+ years. they have even done tests on local gasoline for ethanol content.

regular was 8% and premium was 3% ethanol. so long story short run premium and stabil is not needed especially if you store it dry. if you are running 2 stroke dont worry about it to much as most of the mix's have a stabilizing agent along with the oil.
post #8 of 30 Old 01-06-2017, 10:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatillo View Post
Can you run it completely dry if you don't remove the bowl, or at least use a drain screw if it has one?
No you cant. most older carbs have a push valve on the bowl or a screw you can take out. i dont know about the newer stuff ( i dont own any newer stuff lol)

post #9 of 30 Old 01-06-2017, 10:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks. My MTD was 20 years old when I sold it, so I know what you mean. I just bought a new one. SS, I treat the fuel, 6 oz Sea Foam to 5 gals of either non-ethanol or BP high test, which in my area has ethanol. Either way, I haven't had problems since, and I leave fuel in it and topped off. I run it dry at the end of the season, drain the bowl, but I know if anything is left in it, or if I forget to drain it, it's treated and there won't be varnish.

It's cheap insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbelt_subie View Post
No you cant. most older carbs have a push valve on the bowl or a screw you can take out. i dont know about the newer stuff ( i dont own any newer stuff lol)
post #10 of 30 Old 01-06-2017, 10:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatillo View Post
Thanks. My MTD was 20 years old when I sold it, so I know what you mean. I just bought a new one. SS, I treat the fuel, 6 oz Sea Foam to 5 gals of either non-ethanol or BP high test, which in my area has ethanol. Either way, I haven't had problems since, and I leave fuel in it and topped off. I run it dry at the end of the season, drain the bowl, but I know if anything is left in it, or if I forget to drain it, it's treated and there won't be varnish.

It's cheap insurance.
thats more than enough to be safe. my dad just runs premium and doesn't drain anything and he has been fine for the last 5 years with his equipment starting in the spring/winter.

i buy and sell non running equipment. i just picked up an older toro ss 2 cycle who the guy said ran 2 years ago but we had a light winter last year and he didnt use it now it didnt start.

when i opened the carb up it had gas in it with a lot of water mixed. i had to scoop 1/4 " of goop out before i could even see the main jet lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page