LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-17-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 75
Advice on corroded impeller shaft

The impeller shaft on my 2-year-old snow thrower (see the picture) is badly corroded. I'd appreciate some suggestions on how to remove the corrosion. My intention is to paint the shaft after I remove the corrosion but I'd like some thoughts on what to do beyond that to stop the corrosion from returning or at least slow it down. I'm hoping to do whatever is needed without removing the shaft.

If it helps, I believe the problem may be caused by rock salt used on a common driveway I share, much of which ends up on my driveway.

Thanks,
Tony P.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Auger shaft.png
Views:	105
Size:	461.4 KB
ID:	96954  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Shaw351 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-17-2017, 06:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 311
I hate to say this, but I'd take it apart, at least partially.

Here's why: while I understand why you want to fix it, the corrosion on the visible part of the shaft is pretty much just cosmetic. Where corrosion can *really* be a problem is where the impeller sits on the shaft - because if the two seize together, it can interfere with repairing the machine later. Just do a search here and see all the people having trouble with impellers stuck on the shaft.

So what I'd do is pull the auger/shaft/impeller out of the machine, leave the auger and gearbox assembled, but remove the impeller from the shaft. Remove the rust from the shaft (which will be much more accessible now) with sandpaper or whatever, and coat it with a good primer and paint. Then maybe coat the area where the impeller sits with a little anti-seize compound, reinstall the impeller, then put the whole assembly back into the machine.

That way later on if you have a problem that requires removing the impeller, you won't find it permanently stuck on the shaft.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-17-2017, 06:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 146
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 345
In addition to what's been said, remove the auger rakes and clean that shaft up and coat/paint it also. That will typically rust up worse than an impeller would.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-17-2017, 07:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 311
Excellent point!

While an impeller stuck on the shaft might cause a problem in the future, the augers being stuck is almost guaranteed to.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-17-2017, 07:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 82
Likes (Received): 29
I guess I'm a lazy buzzard. I'd use a wire brush or emery cloth the best I could and then some rust converter.

Rust converter:

Tom

2016 Honda HSS1332ATD = Former "Virginia Virgin," now "Commonwealth Clogger"
2017 John Deere Frontier SB2164 Loader Mount w/ HP2025 Hydraulic Power Pack
post #6 of 19 Old 01-17-2017, 07:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
if you are going to do this you should also remove the wheels and coat axle with grease making removal easier in the future . jim
post #7 of 19 Old 01-17-2017, 07:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 19
Hey Tony,

ELaw gave you the best and surest method to prevent future issues, as it's rusted considerably already and will eventually seize onto the impeller end. If you're not up for taking the machine apart I'd recommend removing the shear pin from the impeller; block the augers to prevent them from turning; use another piece of lumber down through the chute, if clearance provides, and break the impeller loose with a few blows from a hammer if it's stuck. Clean up the shaft with a wire wheel on a drill or handheld wire brush and/or sandpaper, apply Rust Converter or just hit it with some black gloss rust paint. Once dry blast the impeller/shaft end with Fluid Film, apply a liberal amount of grease on the shear pin and in the hole and skim the shaft with grease or motor oil, reinstall shear pin and call it a day.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-17-2017, 08:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 42
I highly recommend using "anti-seize" compound on all parts that could possibly fuse together from exposure to salt and other corrosive elements. Oil and grease are short-lived and will not stand the test of time. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #9 of 19 Old 01-17-2017, 09:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
I might clan it up and apply something like cold galvanize finish the shaft is not going to rust away.

Unless you are looking for a project I would not go out of my way to tear it all apart to head off future corrosion. There is a chance that it could pose a problem but so can disturbing the factory assembly. If the impeller fails you can slice that core in a jiffy. I might try giving those mating surfaces some penetrating oil as low impact insurance.

Pete
post #10 of 19 Old 01-18-2017, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 75
Thanks to all for responding with good (even if different) information. I treat the hex (gear) shaft and auger shaft with some anti-seize annually so I'll probably add the impeller shaft and axle. Then I'll probably paint the shaft with POR 15.

I believe I understand how to remove the impeller shaft at the belt area and that's too difficult for me to try during the season so I'll have to wait until spring - in case I screw something up. In the interim, if anyone can give me a lead on an easier way to remove the impeller shaft, I'd appreciate it.

BTW, I noticed the corrosion problem while I was installing impeller paddles. There's no snow forecasted for at least two weeks and it's killing me that I can't see how they work.

Last edited by Tony P.; 01-18-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page