post #1 of 2 Old 01-19-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 96
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 460
Garage
List of improvements that can be made

InI signed up a few days ago but I've been reading the posts for about a month. I went back and looked at all 118 pages of posts reading the posts which were of interest to me which was 1-7 posts on a page. Every night while watching tv and in bed while wife slept. She knew I was nuts so that did not matter. Long time ago she has stopped asking the question "Why?"

I'm a very good mechanic and fix or do everything myself, car, house, equipment. Have I learned anything? I learned and am shocked how many people keep really old snowblowers from the 60s and 70s. Boy they are built, not like the crap today, but I know this from a little repair side business I have. I read Duplicolor may be the paint to use. I'm also surprised the number of people that use an ultrasonic cleaner, including myself. I've been using Berryman's Chem-Dip for soaking and in the ultrasonic cleaner, and last week I bought NAPA's carb cleaner for soaking. I will see how that works. I'm surprised the number of people that use Predator engines from junky Harbor Freight and there are good reviews! I'm surprised that the 208cc Predator engine is enough to drive a 32"! I don't understand that at all.

What improvements can be made to your snowblower:

with a tach you can raise the rpms on the snowblower not to exceed 3,600 rpms max

you can change the engine crankshaft pulley but this is a give and take, you get something, you give something up

Add a shut off valve if you don't have one

Motorcycle gas filters are small and cheap

If you live in an area that gets alot of snow, drift cutters are nice. You can buy them or make them. I made them from PVC fence post that I found along the street

Add weight to the front for the deep snows, especially the hard packed driveway apron where the town plows. This will prevent the front from riding up. You can use steel beam, railroad track iron, pig iron, pure lead which won't rust, from an old house the window weights, a bare truck rim. I use a 25 lb lead weight that sits in a wooden box that is fastened with bolts to the top of the bucket but you can also fasten it using pipe strapping that has holes in it.

If your auger does not have zerk grease fittings add them

When your carburetor needs to be replaced, buy one with low and high adjustments

Replace or add LED lights, I use a LED head light, get the brightest in lumens that your blower engine can handle

Add a one way chute control adding up and down to the chute hood. You will need a torch and a MIG welder, find a lever somewhere, the cable you can order that is used on other blowers, you'd want one about 48" long with an eyelet on each end.

As the scraper bar wears, I weld another piece of metal on it to wear that rather than the scraper bar

I also weld a 1" wide piece of metal on every skid plate/shoe to of course wear that away

I own an oxy acetylene cutting torch, a MIG welder, and a stick Arc welder, besides 5 hand grinders, 3 bench grinders, 6 drills

some people put wheels on their snowblower. I have a 12hp Gravely convertible that has wheels one among several other snowblowers I have

using rubber on the impeller is a must. I learned this from YouTube. I have used old converyor belts and truck mud flaps, doubling up or more as needed.

And a recent idea I had though I have not implemented it yet, using a roll-up plastic snow sled to line the inside of the chute. It's rather thick, flexible, will take the cold, strong, and most importantly, smooth and slippery. I expect the snow to just shoot out with that inside. You might be able to line the impeller housing and may need no rubber or less rubber. ??? I thought about the lack of squeegee effect of not having the rubber on the impeller blades.

In NJ sometimes snow is not deep, sometimes it's far in between, so it's difficult to judge.

Last edited by JLawrence08648; 01-20-2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Wanted to add something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-19-2017, 07:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 66
I'm not nearly as industrious, or creative as you; but I recently made a close to complete list of the improvements I have made to my MTD Blower which I've had for 10 years, and which still performs better than when it was new. That list includes:

Installed a "real" Dipstick;

Installed Inner Tubes;

Grease Fittings for the Auger Bearings;

Fuel Filter and Fuel Shut-Off;

Drift Cutters (via Husqvarna);

lmpeller Paddles (donor = Truck Mudflaps);

LED Safety Running Lights - BLUE, some of which strobe (to the sides) just like a Squad Car !

And my unit already had Heated Hand Grips; but I did re-wire them.

Maybe there were some other items; it gets special treatment because it's the only piece of equipment vying for attention during the Winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page