post #1 of 24 Old 01-24-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 96
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 460
Garage
MMO Marvel Mystery Oil - Why use it?

Why are you using Marvel Mystery Oil? Do you put it in with every gas fill up or just at the end of the season? Is this suppose to clean the carburetor? The active ingredients in it are Naptha and Stoddard solvent.

Techron is 5%-10% naptha, 35% Stoddard solvent, and 50% mineral spirits.

Toulene may be the best carb cleaner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-24-2017, 02:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 23
from Marvel Mystery Oil's own MSDS it looks to me like it's mostly Naptha and Stoddard Solvent.

Component Concentration (wt%)

Petroleum Distillates
(Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic) 60-100%

Petroleum Distillates
(Stoddard Solvent) 10-30%

Tricresyl Phosphate 0.1-1.0%

Ortho Dichlorobenzene 0.1-1.0%

Para Dichlorobenzene <0.1%

PS: Toulene and Acetone work well but don't forget they will melt plastic at high concentrations, also Wintergreen Oil, found in some fuel conditioners, won't clean your carb but it will rejuvenate old hard rubber gaskets and 'O' rings, carb spigots and airbox boots too. Too long a soak will turn rubber mushy, as always moderation is best.

Last edited by 524SWE; 01-24-2017 at 02:34 PM.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-24-2017, 02:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 268
I see no good reason to use snake oil like that. Not one. Just the name alone implies it is snake oil. As has already been mentioned on the forum, but in other topics, so you may not have seen it- most folks like to stick to stabil type additives or pour a little sea foam in. As long as you use fresh clean gasoline 9 times out of 10 you won't have any problems. There is some strange movement out there as of late for some silly thing called "TRU-FUEL" but I don't get it. Too expensive, too.. mysterious.. like that MMO. In fact- I just remembered that the dealer I purchased my Ariens lawn mower from back in June/July had filled the tank up with some of that garbage when they assembled it and mentioned it might be a good alternative to gas and that they sold it. I passed on the offer. That first tank of fuel via that "trufuel" made that lawnmower run like crap. I was not happy. I was even considering taking it back to the dealer if it had not been for the fact that the dealer is 80+ miles north of me. After I used that tank of TF up, I filled it with fresh 85 octane gas from Shell. The thing ran like a champ from then on.

Their claim to fame:
TruFuel is precision-engineered premixed fuel with synthetic lubricants and advanced stabilizers that are specially made for your 2-cycle and 4-cycle outdoor power equipment. Our high-octane ethanol-free fuel protects your investment, saves you time, and helps equipment run the way you need it to

High octane doesn't work well in small non-EFI engines where I live at 6000ft as I have proven time and time again.
post #4 of 24 Old 01-24-2017, 03:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 379
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1377
I was reading on parts tree to use mid grade gas. it does not have any alcohol in it because alcohol binds with water and that is when things run like crap. I have yet to try this theory out just so youse know.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 24 Old 01-24-2017, 04:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 120
Likes (Received): 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
I was reading on parts tree to use mid grade gas. it does not have any alcohol in it .........
I guess that depends on where you live-ALL grades of gas in my area has ethanol in it or so it says right on the pump.
post #6 of 24 Old 01-24-2017, 04:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 120
Likes (Received): 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
....... As has already been mentioned on the forum, .....most folks like to stick to stabil type additives or pour a little sea foam in. As long as you use fresh clean gasoline 9 times out of 10 you won't have any problems.....
Many people have told me they think Sta-bil is BS,but I beg to differ.I have left Stabil-treated, ethanol gas in my portable gen. for over a year.The generator started and ran just fine on that gas.I removed the gas and burned it in my snowblowers and they all ran fine.I found no white snot in the tank,either.

Last winter,the final can of snowblower gas I bought,I forgot to put Sta-bil in.I left my Toro 521 with a tankful of that gas until next fall.I looked in the gas tank and the gas had all kinds of snot in it and the engine ran like crap.

I conclude that Sta-bil must do what the maker claims.
post #7 of 24 Old 01-24-2017, 05:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 379
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C. View Post
I guess that depends on where you live-ALL grades of gas in my area has ethanol in it or so it says right on the pump.
Around here the 87 has 10% but the mid and high does not. 1 night when I was up there I asked them about that 1.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 24 Old 01-24-2017, 06:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 52
sorry but I have been using tru fuel in 2 of my small 4 stroke machines and 2 of my small 2 stroke machines with excellent results. Been using it for many years with nothing but praise. Yes its expensive but in small machines like blowers, weed , chain saws its goes a long way. a quart a summer. Shelf life is years and no need to drain after the season, just shut it off and set it down. First pull 7 months later and its running well. Very little exhaust smell too and no ethanol. Awesome stuff. Its based off clear Coleman lantern fuel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes colin.p liked this post
post #9 of 24 Old 01-24-2017, 07:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 23
"Its based off clear Coleman lantern fuel"

Isn't that what we used to call White Gas, highly refined unleaded before unleaded came about?
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks drewkaree thanked for this post
Likes AriensPro1128 liked this post
post #10 of 24 Old 01-24-2017, 07:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 231
Thanks (Received): 199
Likes (Given): 2041
Likes (Received): 517
I'm lucky enough to have E0 fuel at a gas station nearby...so no "snake-oil" is needed, nor do I need to be stingy with it.

MMO is great at dissolving rust and seems to be decent at preventing rust/corrosion.

For example, after draining the fuel in my old school metal Briggs tank for the summer, I put a few ounces and swish it around.

It's also a pretty good penetrant... it has a fairly low viscosity to begin with...even better if you spike it with some acetone.

Oh, it's also good for fogging your intake when the engine is taking its last breath of the season...it doesn't foul the plug as bad as fogging oil.

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

('87 Toro 38150 826)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page