LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-25-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 5
Briggs ignition retrofit a good idea?

I have two 7 hp Briggs engines on Toro 726 blowers.

Neither engine has much if any spark. I expect these have points and condenser under the flywheel.

Wondering if people here would advise servicing the existing setup or installing an electronic module and, if so which of various alternatives you might suggest.

For me pulling a flywheel is something I've done many times before, so it's a bit of a pain but not a big deal. Still, more work than just installing a module or the Briggs trigger coil setup.

Some have reported that the retrofit modules require a higher cranking speed to make spark, or that they fail too often. I have no direct experience.

Thanks for any guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-26-2017, 07:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1384
398811 IS the part number for the HEI set up. gut the old points and other stuff out of there 2 screws hold it in the air gap .010 use a business card to set the air gap.that is BRIGGS part number by the way.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 12 Old 01-26-2017, 08:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 280
No more effort required to start it than the old set up..... just a different way of making the spark. I think you will find it starts much easier and runs more consistent as well...... win-win

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

post #4 of 12 Old 01-26-2017, 10:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 231
Thanks (Received): 199
Likes (Given): 2045
Likes (Received): 517
electronic ignition all day long... you can hear that spark poppin' across the room!

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

('87 Toro 38150 826)
post #5 of 12 Old 01-28-2017, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Took the blower housing off and found a dead electronic retrofit coil. Argentine made. Coil ohms were only about 2.5 K which seems low.

Is there any way to check these things out other than by substitution? I ordered a new one, only about $15 for aftermarket, but I don't know about the quality and reliability.

Briggs is good on service literature but I haven't seen anything that really explains how the various systems actually work, especially the electronic varieties.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-30-2017, 02:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by amuller View Post
Took the blower housing off and found a dead electronic retrofit coil. Argentine made. Coil ohms were only about 2.5 K which seems low.

Is there any way to check these things out other than by substitution? I ordered a new one, only about $15 for aftermarket, but I don't know about the quality and reliability.

Briggs is good on service literature but I haven't seen anything that really explains how the various systems actually work, especially the electronic varieties.
What aftermarket part did you get??????????????

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 12 Old 01-30-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The coil/armature is numbered 26-1920 and cost about $15 from Amazon. Chinese. Various vendors have these and call them a "new design."

Ignition coil for Briggs& Stratton 398811, 395492, 398265- New Design

They seem to lack a separate trigger pickup or coil. So how is timing controlled? Do they have something like an Atom module built in?

I haven't tried it on an engine yet.

Alan
post #8 of 12 Old 01-31-2017, 03:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by amuller View Post
The coil/armature is numbered 26-1920 and cost about $15 from Amazon. Chinese. Various vendors have these and call them a "new design."

Ignition coil for Briggs& Stratton 398811, 395492, 398265- New Design

They seem to lack a separate trigger pickup or coil. So how is timing controlled? Do they have something like an Atom module built in?

I haven't tried it on an engine yet.

Alan
Can't really say on that 1. if it was me I would just use the OEM part. the engine timing is set inside on the crank and cam shafts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 12 Old 02-02-2017, 11:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Ignition modules have all of the components sealed inside the plastic housing. They are very simple. I think they have 2 maybe 3 components and the coil itself. The timing is fixed based on the position of the ignition module in reference to the flywheel. Since you can only bolt the ignition module to the engine in one spot and the flywheel is keyed to the crankshaft, the timing is not adjustable.

Toro 828 LXE
post #10 of 12 Old 02-06-2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm seeing so much contradictory info on line that I don't know what to think. Maybe somebody here can sort it out for me.

I have a Briggs 7 hp snowblower engine Model 170402 Type 1185 01 Code 710526

This engine originally had points but when I got it there was a generic Argentine-made electronic coil on it. The type with the visible trigger coil silver button. No spark.

Assuming the coil must be bad, as I was installed correctly, I ordered another generic coil, this one labeled "new design" and without a visible trigger coil. No spark with this one either.

As for the flywheel magnet business, there is one magnet, per Briggs usual, and it attracts the South marking on a compass dial. Magnet strength seems normal.

I'm at a loss. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page