post #1 of 34 Old 01-28-2017, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 763
Thanks (Received): 236
Likes (Given): 1584
Likes (Received): 1679
Garage
What Kind Of Tools Do You Have ?

I am just getting into repairing my Honda snowblowers myself and have basic tools, mostly Craftsman. This is a fun type hobby for me.

Was wondering what guys who routinely repair all kinds of snowblowers carry in their tool
shops/

What kind of power tools do you have?

What kind of special tools do you have?

Over the summer, I built all new workbenches for my shop. I have a small sander, some Ridgit drills and impact drill, craftsman impact gun and sockets , etc.

I bought a pick set, long wrenches, screwdriver sets, wratchet wrench set.

I mainly want to work on the Hondas but just got an ariens st824 and a neighbor may sell me a st950? for parts.

So, what do you recommend for a well equipped shop?

Thanks.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-28-2017, 09:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 110
I would suggest an impact gun. It can be air or battery. They make very easy work of stubborn nuts and bolt. Also on many rotating parts like flywheels, pulleys, augers, you don't have to find a way to stop the mass from rotating. The impact wrench magically just removes the hardware.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
post #3 of 34 Old 01-28-2017, 09:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 12
I do "at home" mobile repairs, so here's what I have on hand in the truck:

Tools: basic wrenches/sockets in SAE & metric, Torx sockets, allen wrenches/sockets, screwdrivers, extension bars 3/8 & 1/2, pliers, vice grips, 1/2" breaker bar & ratchet, 1/2" drive sockets up to 1 1/4", 120v electric impact gun, 12v portable air compressor, digital volt meter, grease gun, punches, small & BIG hammers, wire bread ties (for cleaning carbs), files, 120v electric angle grinder, large pry bar, cans of lithium grease & carb cleaner, PB Blaster, blocks of wood, funnels, shop rags, hand cleaner, gloves, oil, fuel

parts: roll of 1/8" nylon starter rope, roll of 1/4" fuel line, hose clamps, zip ties, assorted shear bolts, common belts 1/2" x 35"/36"/37", MTD auger belts 954-0430, Tecumseh carb bowl kits, spare Chinese "junk" carbs to cannibalize for parts, spark plugs RJ19LM/RC12YC & Bosch BPR6ES, wire, crimp connectors, electric & duct tape

and probably a WHOLE bunch of stuff I've forgotten!
Marty

Last edited by majorxlr8n; 01-28-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #4 of 34 Old 01-28-2017, 10:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 115
Fun costs Money......How much "Fun" do you want to spend? It will depend on the type of work you do also....Rebuild engines?? Restoration work?? Start off slow and make sure you REALLY enjoy it. Buy things as you "Need" them. Buy Quality that will last/outlast the hobby....don't buy it twice. Read about the job ahead of time, Know your enemy, ID the tools, process and time involved.....Then double or triple that, depending on your skill level. Look for the Junk/Old/Disposable machines,,,, and collect the different models to practice on. Try to borrow/rent a tool for a process you may never do again, or won't enjoy doing......It's not work, If you enjoy it. Go slow..Have Fun.....Repeat if necessary. GLuck, Jay
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #5 of 34 Old 01-28-2017, 10:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 75
I work on both my snow thrower and mower and find the tools to be the same. An item not mentioned I find invaluable is a variety of worklights. I have a magnetized light that's really handy and a bunch of rechargeable flashlights.

Also, make sure you have a 2X4, from 12 to 18 inches so you still have your fingers when you're finished.
post #6 of 34 Old 01-28-2017, 11:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 71
The ryobi half inch and quarter inch battery impact set is a great inexpensive set to have for this kind of work. I think theres a 3/8 impact also but the 2-in-one set does everything.

-efisher-
post #7 of 34 Old 01-28-2017, 11:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 212
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 767
For working on snowblowers, look at the Harbor Freight 6 ' motor cycle lift table. I's just right for getting snowblowers high enough to work on and has enough length to use as a work bench while the snowblower is on the table. $299 on sale
post #8 of 34 Old 01-28-2017, 11:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 463
Garage
I have everything, everything mentioned above plus arc stick welder, Oxy acetylene gas and cutting torch, MIG welder, compression gauge, ultrasonic cleaner, 3 bench grinders, 5 hand grinders, Mason tools, carpentry tools, dry wall tools, painting equipment plus 2 collapsing extending paint poles, 2 walking surveyor wheels, laser levels, electrical equipment, tools, testing, telephone and Internet cable tools, table saw, wood lathe, 2 drill presses, 2 hand jig saws, 2 jig saws, reciprocating saw, knife sharpener, diamond saw blade sharpener, diamond wet tile saw, plumbing tools, pipe cutters, pipe wrenches, torch, tap and die set, 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrenches, 2 Dremels, 10 drills including 3 1/2" drills, a gas powered drill, 4 Sanders, belt sander, router, router table, 2 air compressors, 5 chain saws, chain saw sharpener, pole saws, both MTN climbing and tree climbing equipment, complete set of specialized bicycle tools and bike stand, stump grinder, 4 cylinder wood chipper, maybe 3,000-4,000 drill bits, 30 router bits, 2 vises, impact gun, flaring set, car buffer, large 20-30 gallon stainless steel wet vac, 2 small dry wet vacs, gear pullers, 3 step ladders, 3 extension ladders, an open gearz socket wrench set, rivet tools and rivets, lots of nuts bolts screws, air conditioning gauges and hoses, 4 battery chargers, 3 spray guns, floor jacks and cylinder pumps, clamps, 3 circular saws, 8 power washers including 12hp, 8hp, 4 5hp, others are electric, walk behind mowers, 61", 48", 32", rototiller, 13 snowblowers, 50' tree sprayer, 3 snow plow pumps, snow plows, a Gravely with a mower, brush hog, broom, snow blower and 2 Sully's, commercial floor scrubber, do I include my sports equipment? My surfboard, my canoe? My MMA stuff? 2 heavy bags, gi, 15 or so bikes? MTN, road, cyclocross, comfort, tandem bike

Want more? I'm sure I forgot a few.
post #9 of 34 Old 01-28-2017, 12:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 71
I bought a 301 pc tool kit from Harbour freight just to keep in the truck to make repairs on location for customers. $150 on sale plus 20% coupon, cant beat it with lifetime warranty.

-efisher-
post #10 of 34 Old 01-28-2017, 01:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 348
Thanks (Received): 107
Likes (Given): 1068
Likes (Received): 188
Donyboy73 (youtube) gets a lot of good recommendations here and here is a link to his playlists, including tool reviews and safety tips: https://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy73/playlists

A few things at the top of my list concerning sockets:

- If you end up with an air assist impact wrench, you should only use impact sockets (dull black ones). Chrome sockets can shatter in certain situations, flinging nice sharp pieces your way. Not sure if that applies to the battery powered ones or not, but it may. My electric impact wrench is a goofy big beast, but it can fly sometimes.

- It took me a while to discover 6 point vs 12 point sockets. The 6 pointers are so much better at not rounding old set-up nuts and bolts, but sometimes you need the 12 points for tight spots.

- Deep well impacts sockets are nice, I tend to use them more often then the regular length, but I use them both.

- Metric and SAE. Metric gets used here a lot more than SAE.

Honda HS828TAS (1991) – Made in Japan with Thai built GX240
Honda HSS1332ATD (Late-2015) – Made in USA with Thai built GX390

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page