Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Metal chutes throw further and clog less than Plastic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 5 50.0%

clogging issues and speed throwing - plastic chutes vs metal chutes

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Town 
#1 ·
It's been discussed on here how to throw further by using a rubber impeller kit so there is less clogging of the chute. There's been talk of lining the chute with film or plastic to reduce friction. Talk that you can spray the inside of the chute with PAM, an aerosol cooking oil spray; Pledge, an aerosol furniture polish; or a spray car wax detailer. There's been discussion a longer chute will throw snow further than a shorter chute thus I would think a longer chute would have less clogging

All MY snowblowers have metal chutes except for several I picked up to sell after going through them but I am waiting for it to snow! But I am in a part of central New Jersey that does not get a lot of snow - light or deep, and it does not snow often enough for me to make comparisons.

Which chute clogs less, and throws the snow further, plastic or metal?

Reactions: Prime
#7 · (Edited)
I personally think that taller chutes help to collect and form the snow into a well packed and organized stream. This regulated stream of snow travels farther do to the lack of turbulance. Obviously the impeller speed and output flow matters tremendously as well.

I had an old toro 3521 that i modified with a 212 predator engine and taller chute off a newer toro. The taller chute made a very noticeable difference in the flow pattern and throwing distance.

I think then chutes geometry is more important the the material its manufactured from.

#9 ·
I personally think that taller chutes help to collect and form the snow into a well packed and organized stream. This regulated stream of snow travels farther do to the lack of turbulance. Obviously the impeller speed and output flow matters tremendously as well.

I think then chutes geometry is more important the the material its manufactured from.
I agree. The taller chutes have a smooth curve that helps achieve the longer distances. In my urban environment the actual throwing distance is not as important as the ability to direct the flow. It would be great to have a smooth shape for the deflector so snow could be blown into the wind without being slowed down. A shape that goes beyond the dual stage deflector on Honda and Yamaha machines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.