Which Fuel Should I Buy for My Snowblower? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-30-2017, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Which Fuel Should I Buy for My Snowblower?

I have a Toro Power Clear 418 snowblower, and I live in Chicago.

In previous winters, I used ethanol-free fuel from a gas station near my home, along with the following Star Tron fuel stabilizer:

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment Gas Additive Small Engine

Now, it seems that every gas station in the Chicago area has a sign that says, "Fuel contains up to 10% ethanol."

I read somewhere that premium fuel at these stations is ethanol-free, but I read elsewhere, that the idea that premium fuel at these stations is ethanol-free, is only a rumor.

So, as far as I know, here are my options:

1) Buy E-10 fuel at a gas station, and use the above-mentioned Star Tron fuel stabilizer or the following Sta-bil fuel stabilizer:

Sta-Bil 8 oz. Fuel Stabilizer-22208 - The Home Depot

2) Try to find a gas station that sells ethanol-free premium fuel, and use either the Star Tron or the Sta-bil fuel stabilizer.

3) Use something like Tru-Fuel:

TruFuel 4-Cycle Ethanol-free Fuel-6527238 - The Home Depot

Tru-Fuel is ethanol-free fuel pre-mixed with a fuel stabilizer.

Tru-Fuel seems to be very expensive ($6.00 for a quarter of a gallon).

So, what do I do?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-31-2017, 12:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
Living in Chicago as well, I know its toiugh to find ethanol free. I've checked out pure-gas.org and the nearest ethanol free gas is easily an hour trip.

My vote is option #1 and to avoid keeping any gas around any longer than necessary. I stabilize all the gas I keep in cans, but still get rid of it every 3 or so months. Pour it into the car at the end of the season, then refill and stabilize when you need it again (for the mowers, generator, or just the snow blower next winter).

I would only consider trufuel if by chance you don't have any other gasoline powered equipment or vehicle to offload aging fuel.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-31-2017, 01:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 58
For you Chi Town guys, don't overlook trips to S WI or IN. TONS of stations selling E0 fuel in WI.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Last edited by CO Snow; 01-31-2017 at 08:37 PM.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-31-2017, 01:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 9
Garage
premium for my machines for sure, most Petro Canada and some Sunoco hold 94 octane gas in the great white north, but like previously mentioned, pretty much all major gas station blend around 10% ethanol in it. Petro was the last to convert to this. On the other hand Shell supposedly still hold their premium ethanol free V-power 91 octane, my 1rst choice.

was using 114 octane in my race car, used it once in my weed whacker, I would not recommend it, it sure did whack the weeds alright, for the time it worked without knocking on the con rod, rofl, that little two stroke didn't like it that much.

Just for laughs, I'd like to try the 114 on a 4 stroke with slotted holes on the coil and push the timing forward and see the difference. 1/4 to 1/2 hp more on a 5hp? hahaha

k, back on track, Shell, ethanol free premium gas ... and good idea to have a rotation of gas once in while if the 5 gallon is not empty in a season. Stabilizer, never use it, so nothing to say there.

EDIT: just saw the link above, yuuuup for shell

"Itís not so much as to so little as to do with what everything is..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by snowflitesly; 01-31-2017 at 02:05 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-31-2017, 06:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 75
I take excellent care of all my small engines and recognize the potential harm from using fuel containing ethanol. However, I just don't believe it's a significant risk on newer equipment. Most equipment built in the past 20 years is designed to run on FRESH 10% ethanol. I've used gasoline containing 10% ethanol with no problems so far but include an additive - mostly Sta-bil but switched to Seafoam recently - and don't keep gas over 30 days.

If I had old equipment, I'd use ethanol-free.

Last edited by Tony P.; 01-31-2017 at 07:01 AM.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-31-2017, 07:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 102
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 271
Likes (Received): 148
Jack, Option 1 during the season. Option 3 as you put the equipment away at the end of season. (I would purchase E0 gasoline if I didn't have to drive hundreds of miles for it.)

(Top tip: Walmart has the best deal I've seen on Startron. In my area they sell a bottle for $9 but it treats 2X the amount compared to what others are selling. I find it in the camping/boating section.)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Faron79 liked this post
post #7 of 19 Old 01-31-2017, 07:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 22
Depending on the amount of fuel you use I would make the hour drive and get enough E0 for year. E0 with red stabil/star tron/sea foam will easily last a year. I use right at 5 gallons a year so to me it would be worth the drive and not dealing with plugged up carbs and the constant rotating of gas from can to car.

If I couldn't get E0 I wouldn't keep the E10 for more than 60 days and I would buy tru fuel and run it the last 2 or 3 times of the season and store it with the tru fuel. For no more snow than we get here I might even consider using tru fuel in my blower all the time.

On a side note a Shell station here decided he was losing to much business to the stations that sell E0 so just last week he stated selling E0. This is good news because I always like using gas from a top tier station.

1996 MTD 5/22
2016 Toro 721 QZR
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Faron79 liked this post
post #8 of 19 Old 01-31-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffyJr View Post

If I couldn't get E0 I wouldn't keep the E10 for more than 60 days and I would buy tru fuel and run it the last 2 or 3 times of the season and store it with the tru fuel. For no more snow than we get here I might even consider using tru fuel in my blower all the time.

On a side note a Shell station here decided he was losing to much business to the stations that sell E0 so just last week he stated selling E0. This is good news because I always like using gas from a top tier station.

I can ask the Shell stations near my home, whether their V-Power, 91-octane fuel is ethanol-free.

As for Tru-fuel, are you saying that I'm supposed to leave Tru-fuel inside my snowblower during a hot summer? My snowblower's instructions say that I should drain the fuel from the snowblower for the summer.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-31-2017, 06:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 60
Likes (Given): 131
Likes (Received): 221
Garage
I'm not much of a fuel connoisseur . . .

I usually just run the blowers and other yard equipment on the left over fuel that I pump out of the boat at the end of the season.

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
post #10 of 19 Old 01-31-2017, 08:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 3
FINALLLLLYYYY!!

Someone brought up TOP-TIER Class fuels!!

Yesirreee....Shell V-power Premium, & Holiday-Stations have TT Fuel. Just last Fall (up here anyway...) Holidays switched from E10 TT, to E0 TT!!

>>> I will ONLY use TT Premium fuel in my car (2008 Impala LTZ. Yes, it's a Flex-Fuel vehicle technically, but there's no way in **** I'm putting E85 in it!!!).
>>> The Wife's 2014 AWD Turbo Buick-Regal ($41,000 car new...). In fact, in the GM Owners-Manual for the 2.0L Turbo, it specifies TT-Fuel. Many of GM's better engines now recommend or REQUIRE TT Gas.
>>> If we're traveling, I go out of my way to find Shell stations. Holidays are my only other "self-allowed" station/brand.
>>> Other car companies have been spec-ing TT recently too, in their better engines.
>>> Even with TT, I do add Seafoam!!! The cars get some once a month (for yeeeaaars now...), and my small engines get a steady diet too, along with TT-Fuel!

You can get really geeked-out on TT-Fuels here: Home | Top Tier Gas
Very detailed stuff, if you're into it...

Faron

Why yes....yes I do like Lutefisk!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page