LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-31-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Honda HS520A belt tensioner.

I Recently noticed that the auger on my HS520 would continue to spin with the hand lever released. After I opened the belt cover I found that the tensioner arm had no "spring" to it. The tensioner pulley is left in contact with the belt. The belt brake is fine but the tensioner arm will not push on the brake when the hand lever is released. I removed the tensioner arm, bolt, spring combo.

Parts 7, 8, 12 is what I'm referring to.

All Years HS520 ASA Honda Snowblower DRIVE PULLEY Diagram and Parts

I found the bolt to have a groove worn into it.

Picked up a new spring, bolt and arm but I'm unable to figure out how the heck the spring goes on for tension. Simply installing it leaves me with the problem I started with. I'm looking as to how the spring is supposed to be set. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I do not have a service manual for this machine.

Last edited by SpeedBunny08; 01-31-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-31-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I will upload the pictures without Tapatalk.

Done.

Last edited by SpeedBunny08; 01-31-2017 at 09:13 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-01-2017, 08:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 280
that's different than the models I am familiar with though? Usually there is a long spring that links from the driven pulley area to the tensioner....... that looks like some type of wave spring that pushes against the arm...? I imagine the adjustment of the tension is just turning the bolt in more or out as needed? I would think there is some type of stop in there that keeps the spring from turning? Does it have a special shape like a D or something that it guides onto? Or maybe a tang that rides against a stop? Can't tell much from the parts blow up...... you may need to get a shop manual if somebody doesn't chime in on it.......

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-01-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
One would think there would be a long spring linked for tension. The only long spring is attached to the cable from the arm.

There is no obvious part the spring would stop on. The bolt has a shoulder that prevents it from being tightened much on the spring. Since the old bolt was worn on the shoulder that indicates that the spring had tension and contacted it.

Before I took it apart I inspected it to see if the spring contacted something. But at that point it wasn't. That's when I realized that was the problem.

Last edited by SpeedBunny08; 02-01-2017 at 02:15 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-01-2017, 02:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 282
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 271
So it is my understanding the shoulder bolt and coil spring are there to allow the tensioner arm a bit of side-to-side play as it engages the belt.

Now the illustration below is from the HS720 manual, but I believe the design is the same on the HS520.

There are two springs that connect to the tensioner arm:

The one (call it #1) along the handle bar connects to the cable and then the auger drive lever. The other ( #2) is connected between the tension arm and (some anchor point) I think.

When the auger clutch lever is released, spring #2 pulls the tension arm away from the belt and applies pressure to the brake lever. This stops the auger if it is turning.

When you pull back on the lever, spring #1 (via the cable) pulls the tension arm down to engage the belt, while applying force to spring #2 and pulling the brake away from the auger pulley.

- - -
[email protected]
Social Media Consigliere (retired)
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks SpeedBunny08 thanked for this post
Likes SpeedBunny08 liked this post
post #6 of 6 Old 02-02-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you so much for that. Yes I also believe the design is the same.

I somewhat recall another spring on the inside from when I replaced the auger shaft a couple years ago. Strange that its not shown in the parts diagram. That makes sense now.

Just checked and the spring is gone. I may need to call a dealer for a part number.

Edit, the spring is #4 on the illustration. Parts are ordered!

I have always loved my Honda snowblower. I use it commercially and it has great power. It's also easy to fix. I wouldn't buy another brand.

Last edited by SpeedBunny08; 02-02-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page