1976 Canadiana no drive and auger always engaged - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-07-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
1976 Canadiana no drive and auger always engaged

Hey everyone, I have a 1976 Canadiana 22" cut, 8 hp briggs that I've been working on. It needed new belts and so I decided to replace them and the friction disc while I was at it.

Replaced everything, fired it up and now the auger is always engaged and there is no drive because the friction disc isn't making contact with the drive plate.

I tried putting the jam nut for the drive lever all the way to the top and it has done nothing.
I also adjusted the idler arm lever as much as I could and the auger still turns engaged or not.

Everything worked fine before I changed everything out. I've even tried putting all the old stuff back on, but now end up with the same result no matter what.
I've never had issues like this on any blower. I've also never worked on a blower this old before.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-07-2017, 08:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 96
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 460
Garage
Regarding the spinning auger, I have found on several snowblowers I've worked on, the previous owner or a mechanic put on the wrong width belt. They used a 3L 3/8" wide belt instead of a 4L 1/2" wide belt for the auger. A narrower belt sinks down into the pulley and doesn't slip. The pulley grabs it. The wider belt rides near the top and slips and uses the idler pulley to tighten the belt when the idler arm is moved.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-07-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
That's what I thought that I had done, but have been reassured several times that I'm using the correct belt(s).
post #4 of 14 Old 02-07-2017, 09:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 115
Sounds like the belts are criss-crossed. Is it a Left-Handed Metric Machine?? From South of the Equator?? IDK...Got a model and serial number?? Can you post any Pix??? GLuck, Jay
post #5 of 14 Old 02-07-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
After looking at the belts again and double checking the manual. it looks like I've been sold 2 auger drive belts which are 51224 4L-400.

It's a Canadiana which was manufactured in canada by outdoor power products. The model is a CS-826
Canadiana still exists and I have contacted them, but they told me it was so old that they had to dig back into their archives just to find a manual and couldn't tell me anything about it.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=1976+...HF70CYJCLG8GM:

It's a pretty simple machine, so I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with it. Although the belts are at least a start.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-08-2017, 04:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 120
Likes (Received): 98
Did you buy the belts at an auto parts store or small engines dealer?Or online?

I always take the old belts with me for a visual comparison.The manufacturers' references CAN be very inaccurate.This has saved me from several return trips.Also,if they can't cross the numbers,the dealer can always measure the old one.If you buy online,and I do to save money,all you can do is click and pray it goes well.I bought a Toro blower belt on Amazon once that had the correct OEM part number on it and displayed the correct measurements on the sleeve but it turned out to be a good inch too short.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-09-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I bought the belts at a small engine place. I gave them the info for the blower and these were the belts they gave me. After looking at the exploded view diagram that I have there are 2 possible belts depending on the year. For my drive belt its a 4L-390 not the 400 that I was given.

I'm not sure if the inch difference in belt is going to give me driver back though as the friction disc is not making contact with the drive plate no matter what I do.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-09-2017, 01:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 260
[QUOTE=canadian;1184282

I'm not sure if the inch difference in belt is going to give me driver back though as the friction disc is not making contact with the drive plate no matter what I do.[/QUOTE]

If the driven disc is turning, and the rubber-edged disc is not able to reach it, then it would most likely be a linkage adjustment issue.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-09-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
If the driven disc is turning, and the rubber-edged disc is not able to reach it, then it would most likely be a linkage adjustment issue.
Exactly.
I've tightened the linkage as much as possible and it still will not make contact with the drive disc. I'm wondering if I need to use a tap and die set and make some more threads?
post #10 of 14 Old 02-09-2017, 04:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian View Post
Exactly.
I've tightened the linkage as much as possible and it still will not make contact with the drive disc. I'm wondering if I need to use a tap and die set and make some more threads?
It must have worked at one time. Unless something got bent, then I would try to figure out exactly why it is not working, and not jerry-rig it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page