How to tell grease or oil in auger gear box? Is one better? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-08-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 463
Garage
How to tell grease or oil in auger gear box? Is one better?

How do you tell if the auger gear box takes grease or oil?

Do you look in the manual?

Since it never gets changed unless the gear box is shot, can I safely assume if it has grease, it takes grease; and if it has oil, it takes oil?

How often should we change the oil?

OK to use synthetic oil, 85w? 70-90w?

Read the manual and use what it recommends?

Should the grease ever be changed? If it does, of course a summer job, take the gear case apart, wipe out and clean with kerosene or old turned orange gasoline that we removed from someone else's blower! Of course not ours. Then refill with synthetic grease? Should I use synthetic chassis grease that comes in a tube for a grease gun or synthetic grease that comes in a tub, such as a 1 lb. can?

Is one better than the other?

It would seem if you substitute oil for grease it may leak out?

Is it dangerous to substitute? Different loads and then failure?

Last edited by JLawrence08648; 02-08-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-08-2017, 03:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 120
Likes (Received): 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
How do you tell if the auger gear box takes grease or oil?

Do you look in the manual?

Read the manual and use what it recommends?
This is always the best thing to do first-read the manual.

If you find grease in a gearbox that's supposed to have oil in it according the manufacturer,it's usually because the seals started to leak and putting "00" grease(or ANYTHING they had on hand) in the box is a quicker,cheaper fix.It's not necessarily the best because if that gearbox has ball or roller bearings,grease is not going to lubricate them well at low temps.

A lot of people just assume that blower gearboxes use oil, when they don't-gears=gear oil.A lot Toros use grease,specifically Lubriplate Mag-1.This is very expensive stuff and many choose not to buy it and dump oil in .Again,OK if your seals are in excellent shape.A good NLGI 1 synthetic EP grease is as good as the Mag-1,though.

I use Valvoline full-synthetic 75w-90 in my Allis which specifies gear oil.According the them,it IS yellow metal safe.

I use a Synthetic NLGI-1 grease made by Schaeffer in my Toro 521.

I may have to finish out the winter with "00" grease or the synthetic in the Allis,as I noticed the other day one seal is leaking pretty bad.No ball or roller bearings to worry about in that machine.

Do not use just any old NLGI-2 chassis grease that you have hanging around-it won't do the job at low temperatures.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-08-2017, 08:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 27
Garage
The manual is your friend, not fire starter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Let It Snow
Toro 928 HD OHXE
Sent from my desk top using a key board.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 43128, Mike C. liked this post
post #4 of 6 Old 02-08-2017, 09:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
Comments below in bold.
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
How do you tell if the auger gear box takes grease or oil? Mainly the manual. The location of plugs may be a clue but not definitive. The lack of any fill or vent plugs makes grease pack a pretty sure bet.

Do you look in the manual? That's best.

Since it never gets changed unless the gear box is shot, can I safely assume if it has grease, it takes grease; and if it has oil, it takes oil?
If the machine lasts a few decades replacing the lube is a good idea. oil baths are vented and can accumulate moisture. Grease can weep oil content away and get flung to everyplace in the case except where you need it. See here.

How often should we change the oil? Per manual or after 20 years or so.

OK to use synthetic oil, 85w? 70-90w? It varies widely, a definite manual question.

Read the manual and use what it recommends? Yup

Should the grease ever be changed? If it does, of course a summer job, take the gear case apart, wipe out and clean with kerosene or old turned orange gasoline that we removed from someone else's blower! Of course not ours. Then refill with synthetic grease? Should I use synthetic chassis grease that comes in a tube for a grease gun or synthetic grease that comes in a tub, such as a 1 lb. can?
Asked and answered.

Is one better than the other? Assuming comparable construction an oil bath is far superior. The uniform protection of wear surfaces can't be beat with grease.

It would seem if you substitute oil for grease it may leak out? Possibly

Is it dangerous to substitute? Different loads and then failure? Roulette
post #5 of 6 Old 02-08-2017, 11:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 269
If there is even a manual available.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-09-2017, 11:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
If it can be filled with oil its better. A buddy drills and taps trans axel housings so they can be filled with oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page