Problem with old Ariens belt and pulley. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-10-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Problem with old Ariens belt and pulley.

Hoping someone has seen this before and has a simple answer. After having problems with my auger and drive stopping yesterday, I took the cover off the drive belt on the front of the engine. Despite the belt being relatively new (couple years old, with relatively light usage in CT), I realized the pulley that is engaged from the clutch lever is actually making contact with the large main pulley. I think this caused the pulley to stop, and the belt to be eaten up. Changing th belt isn't a big deal, I've done that before, but anyone have any ideas why the pulleys would be touching? Can the pivot wear to the point of allowing contact?

Last edited by Mike Brown; 02-10-2017 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Added pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-10-2017, 10:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 280
Be sure that the pulley(s) are not slipping on the shafts first of all...... maybe a key sheared and its walking on the shaft? Then look to be sure that the bearings and or bushings that support everything are not in bad shape...... no point in replacing the belt until you figure out what is throwing the alignment off - good luck!

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-10-2017, 10:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 127
Thanks (Received): 195
Likes (Given): 469
Likes (Received): 816
I'd say the belt is the wrong size, i.e. too large. With a smaller belt, the idler pulley can be adjusted out, and will stop rubbing on the large pulley. I'm assuming it's a 10000 series with only one belt...
post #4 of 4 Old 02-10-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
thanks everyone. This isn't an alignment problem, but the wrong belt might be a possibility. How can I determine the exact model number? The area below the tag at the rear of the machine is completely obliterated. I know it's a mid 70's machine, I think it was something like ST-732 or 734. It's a beast.My computer finally let me add some pictures to the original post. Hopefully it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page