All belts should be measured & a primer on belts - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 02-11-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 96
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 460
Garage
All belts should be measured & a primer on belts

I have installed a lot of belts this year on various machines. If I don't need a belt right away, I order from Amazon using 2 day Prime. My favorite is always Kevlar belts but that is a misnomer because is there really Kevlar in there? That's why buy a name brand belt. Then how much Kevlar is in the belt, what percentage? You sprinkle Kevlar with a salt shaker and now you have a Kevlar belt.

Keep in mind that Kevlar though durable, stiffens the belt and will be harder to turn corners.

For the most common belts, I keep a few around. Normally the drive belts because some are used often in various blowers, but I also keep a few auger belts for the same reason. I have more than one blower and I repair blowers for others on the side out of my home garage.

My favorite belt is Pix blue Kevlar belts for 3 reasons. The blue color is easily recognizable in my belt box, I feel they are a good quality belt and would be honest about the amount of Kevlar in the belt, and the length of the belt is accurate to what they advertise.

Belt widths are 3L 3/8" wide, 4L 1/2" wide, and 5L 5/8" wide. But there are different profile shapes such as V belt is a profile shape. Never use an automotive belt for lawn equipment, they are not durable enough though I have used them, and the profile is different. If the profile is different than what is called for or you use a different width belt, a 3L belt instead of a 4L belt, 2 things will happen. The belt will not ride in the correct position in the pulley. A 3L belt will ride lower if a 4L belt is called for. Using this example, the 3L belt will grab rather than a 4L belt spinning. This is important for let's say an auger. When the auger is not engaged, you want the belt to slip. If you used a 3L belt, the belt would be grabbing and the auger would be turning when not engaged, where as a 4L belt would slip and only turn when engaged.

I started measuring belts because too many belts were too tight, too loose. I got the original measurement of the belt from the manual, manufacturer's website, or a parts website. I started measuring the belts using a tailor's tape because it's flexible and using spring paper binder clips to hold the tape tight and stretched against the belt. I clamp the tape on the outside of the belt every 6"-10". I have found as much as a 1 1/2" discrepancy in the advertised belt length and what it actually is, 1/2" is not uncommon. And that 1/2" may be all your adjustment when the belt stretches if it's on the loose size, or the belt may slip and squeal; if the belt is too tight you have other problems. Though Stens is a big name, I have found their belts do not run true to size.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes JayzAuto1 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 589
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4358
Likes (Received): 1739
Garage
Worst thing has to be not paying attention that the belts numbers match the sleeves number. Might be the right part number on the sleeve but someone swapped belts when trying a few out to get something to fit. So you're given the right part number but wrong belt and when you try to put it on it's wrong and you spend a ton of time trying to figure out what to do.

Measuring the belt, priceless.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes JayzAuto1 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page