Simplicity Motorized Chute goes left not right - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-11-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Simplicity Motorized Chute goes left not right

Our 2 year old Simplicity model 1696234-02 has a motorized chute that works off a rocker switch on the right handle. The chute turns to the left but now won't turn to the right. It started as an intermittent annoyance that is now a permanent problem. If I hold the button down I can sort of walk the chute over to the right.

- The motor is obviously working because it will turn the chute to the left.
- It's getting power because it turns to the left.
- Could it be a loose connection?
- Bad switch?? Is there an easy way to diagnose this because getting a new one will be a project. The closest dealer is almost 2 hours away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-11-2017, 01:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Given): 215
Likes (Received): 305
A wiring diagram would sure help.
The switch will typically swap pos & neg power to the motor to make it spin one way vs the other.
Do you have a meter you can measure volts or ohms with?

Edit: Take a look at the switch cleaning and maintenance that this guy did. I think you will find the switch to be very similar if not exactly the same as yours.
How to Fix Broken Electric Chute on John Deere 1330 SE Snowblower

Last edited by dbert; 02-11-2017 at 01:27 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-11-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbert View Post
A wiring diagram would sure help.
The switch will typically swap pos & neg power to the motor to make it spin one way vs the other.
Do you have a meter you can measure volts or ohms with?

Edit: Take a look at the switch cleaning and maintenance that this guy did. I think you will find the switch to be very similar if not exactly the same as yours.
How to Fix Broken Electric Chute on John Deere 1330 SE Snowblower
I don't have a volt meter but I took the switch out to inspect it. Unplugging the switch from the harness and plugging it in upside down allowed me to turn the chute the other direction, which tells me it's the switch.

I took the switch apart gently with a flat head screw driver and the rocker pads popped out. I noticed some crud inside on the contacts of the rocker pads. I scraped that off with the screwdriver blade and put it back together for a test. It seems that allows the pads to come into contact again to complete the circuit. This is good, since it's a Saturday afternoon on the heels of a big blizzard so basically nothing is open. I'm not sure that's a long-term solution but it will likely get me through today.

Thanks for the link to that John Deere. It's actually an identical switch. Looks like murray, deere, craftsman and simplicity all use the same part. I'm out to find some noalox before the place gets buried . Up to 24" of snow predicted tomorrow....
post #4 of 5 Old 02-11-2017, 02:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Given): 215
Likes (Received): 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInMaine View Post
... plugging it in upside down allowed me to turn the chute the other direction, which tells me it's the switch.
That was some great troubleshooting right there.
Glad you got it working.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-12-2017, 04:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 115
GMorning Men, Does that Simplicity have 2 electric motors?? I work on a number of the Snapper versions of that machine. The switches, as you have discovered are a source of problems. there are aftermarket switches, although I don't have a number with me, but I use the Brand Cole-Hersee. They are called a floating ground system, and have 6 wires. the middle 2 (next to each other) are power and ground. Double pole/double throw switches. Pushing the switch in opposite directions, simply reverses the power and ground of the middle wires from the top 2 wires to the bottom 2 and allow the motor to reverse. A quick down and dirty test in to flip the wiring as you did. But if the machine has a chute motor as well as a flap motor, you can swap the switches side to side to verify operation. The connections AT the switches can get dirty, and simply wiggling them around, or remove and replace the connections several times will sometimes restore operation. Also, the connections at the motors themselves will cause grief. Simply plugging and unplugging will sometimes be enough to restore operation. I've been replacing the connectors to avoid further problems, with Deutsche connectors, rather than installing the AMP style connectors, as they are out front and often covered in snow.

Hope this Helps, Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page