High Engine Speed - Air Vane Governor Question - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-10-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
High Engine Speed - Air Vane Governor Question

Toro Cr20E, Model# 38116, 2Stroke Tecumseh AH600.

Air vane Governor not pulling throttle plate closed, even after half hour running.
It is pulling somewhat on the throttle plate, as i see the spring moving, but not enough.
Spring + Plastic Air Vane Replaced, Rod Link is not obstructed.
For ease of carb adjustment, I am running unit with covers removed
Do I need the Red Plastic Shroud Covers in place to adjust the carb ?
Could Air Pressure build up at the vane be escaping, with covers removed??
Thus preventing the governor from closing throttle plate fully
Many many models of Toro had this Tecumseh airvane governor setup.
Therefore question is not "AH600" specific

B.T.W. Power screw & Idle screw are at default ONE turn out from Fully seated, which should be good enough, before any adjustments made while engine is under Load.
Thanks in Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-11-2017, 07:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Make sure there is freedom of movement in all the linkage, throttle, recheck if you need to; that the throttle linkage is in the correct holes; and the spring is attached to not only the correct hole on the throttle or air vane but also it's attached on the other end to the correct fixed point on the body. I

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #3 of 11 Old 04-13-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks JLawrence08648 - - - All connections appear to be good.

$60,000 Question::
Can i adjust\tune carb with the all red plastic shroud covers removed?
Are the covers needed to be in place for proper Governor Operation?'

The covers are off because - - - -
Engaging a flat blate screwdriver in the slotted power screw while engine is running is tricky, But would be far more difficult with covers in place.

You would probably need to StopEngine\Adjust\Restart-- ThrowSnow \StopEngine\Adjust\Restart-- ThrowSnow . . . .ETC
But that may be what i got to do, if the covers are needed to assist in "air build up" at that plastic governor vane

Many of these Toro Single stage units wth Tecumseh Ah520\Ah600,. . . Snowmaster20\S200\S620\Cr20\Cr20E were pretty similar in design,
So someone knows the answer to the above question
Thanks
post #4 of 11 Old 04-13-2017, 04:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Shroud covers are for safety, keep the engine warm, and for aesthetics. Go ahead and adjust away. Maybe you have a defective carb, needs PROPER cleaning. Maybe it's running too lean, or the oil mixture is too lean. This may be a problem for a good hands on mechanic to go one step at a time and run through things.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #5 of 11 Old 04-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
I don't think the blower covers are needed. The governor tab picks up the air behind the recoil shroud. There is no mention of the cosmetic covers in the manual. You can play around with engine speed by bending the tab the throttle spring mounts to on the carb stud nut. Is it screaming high speed or just running high rpm like it should?
You can find the service manual here:
Go to mymowerparts.com, click on free parts and manuals in the red border, scroll down to tecumseh service-and-repair-manuals click it, next page the 2 cycle manual is the 8th link down. I can't get it to hyperlink into the post for some reason.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #6 of 11 Old 04-13-2017, 07:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 275
Likes (Given): 2796
Likes (Received): 504
OR-

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/ma...manual1994.pdf

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-15-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks JLawrenceo8648, jtclays, Grunt, for taking the time to respond.
Original post[Full post] was in “Toro” Forum from March 20th (still there), after getting no response I decided to try this forum.
The machine was my father-in-law's R.I.P.
I used it back in the early nineties. I call it the "attack dog", for the way it would take on snow Banks(excellent lightweight machine for a snow plow contractor-easily toss it in the back of a Truck moving from job tojob). When last used about 20 yrs ago it started and ran but would die underload. Finally i dug it out and rebuilt the carb.
When running afterthe carb rebuild it screamed like a Salem witch about to be burned.
The governor was making no attempt to close down thethrottle plate.
Dogging it in a snowbank I noticed every now and then the governor would actually kick in and do its spring Balancing Act.
On removing RecoilAssembly\BlowerHousing, I became aware of extreme sloppiness at the air van governor Pivot Point.
I further noticed that the lubricant on the plastic stem and in the locating hole appears to be NeverSeeze (love the stuff for spark plugs into aluminum cylinder heads, but it's not a lubricant, contains particulates, which can act similar to valve grinding paste).
To the naked eye the Locating hole appears to be slightly out of round, but i sure want to be WRONG on that.
I replaced the spring and Plastic air vane and did see some improvement in governor operation. Throttle plate no longer wide open –But no where near being closed at its idle position. This got me thinking that perhaps without covers, i might be loosing air pressure at the vane.
Unfortunately the snow is all gone now so i cant test it under load,
Just wondering: How the small engine shops load the motor when there is No snow around??
Anyway,the Final Chapter may not be written until next snow season
I apologize being new to forum’s, I don't know where the thanks buttons are but thank you all.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-15-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks:: JLawrenceo8648, jtclays, Grunt, for taking the time to respond.
Original post[Full post] was in “Toro” Forum from March 20th (still there), after getting no response I decided to try this forum.
The machine was my father-in-law's R.I.P.
I used it back in the early nineties. I call it the "attack dog", for the way it would take on snow Banks(excellent lightweight machine for a snow plow contractor-easily toss it in the back of a Truck moving from job to job). When last used about 20 yrs ago it started and ran but would die under load. Finally i dug it out and rebuilt the carb.
When running afterthe carb rebuild it screamed like a Salem witch about to be burned.
The governor was making no attempt to close down the throttle plate.
Dogging it in a snowbank I noticed every now and then the governor would actually kick in and do its spring Balancing Act.
On removing RecoilAssembly\BlowerHousing, I became aware of extreme sloppiness at the air van governor Pivot Point.
I further noticed that the lubricant on the plastic stem and in the locating hole appears to be NeverSeeze (love the stuff for spark plugs into aluminum cylinder heads, but it's not a lubricant, contains particulates, which can act similar to valve grinding paste).
To the naked eye the Locating hole appears to be slightly out of round, but i sure want to be WRONG on that.
I replaced the spring and Plastic air vane and did see some improvement in governor operation. Throttle plate no longer wide open –But no where near being closed at its idle position. This got me thinking that perhaps without covers, i might be loosing air pressure at the vane.
Unfortunately the snow is all gone now so i cant test it under load,
Just wondering: How the small engine shops load the motor when there is No snow around??
Anyway,the Final Chapter may not be written until next snow season
I apologize being new to forum’s, I don't know where the "THANKS" buttons are, but thank you all.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Grunt thanked for this post
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #9 of 11 Old 04-15-2017, 08:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 275
Likes (Given): 2796
Likes (Received): 504
Thank you for posting what you have done and the current status of the problem. Below is a link to the Toro single stage repair manual for future reference. The manual states your max engine RPM's as 4300-4700. Your engine is not designed to idle down and the governor's job is to maintain the max RPM's "under a load".

http://gicl.cs.drexel.edu/images/0/0...ice_manual.pdf

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jtclays liked this post
post #10 of 11 Old 09-05-2019, 09:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
The function of the governor is to automatically adjust the fuel supply quantity in accordance with the change of the external load of the diesel engine within the working speed range of the diesel engine to keep the diesel engine speed basically stable. For diesel engines, changing the fuel supply requires only turning the plunger of the fuel injection pump. As the oil supply increases, the power and torque of the diesel engine increase accordingly, and vice versa.

According to the different working principle of the governor, it can be divided into mechanical governor, electronic governor and electronic injection governor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page