Toro 1028 Auger gearbox is leaking ( help please) - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 11-08-2017, 07:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finjan View Post
I will try 00 grease before trying to take it apart.
Btw, do I need any special tools to full the gearbox with 00 grease?
Thanks
FYI - I just picked uped a qt. from Tractor Supply for $4.99. Seems to be fairly thick !

Last edited by RIT333; 11-08-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: fix spelling error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 11-08-2017, 09:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
thats a newer style gearbox, newer style gearboxes will hold synthetic no problem
NO THEY WON"T! it's the same box for over 30 years. and i tried, it cost me a set of seals dead winter . care to do a set in a unheated garage in jan? that's called the school of hard knocks!!

right from the shop manual

Carefully let the snowthrower down on its normal
position. Make sure it is on a level surface. Next,
full the auger gear box with GL-5 or GL-6 SAE
85-95 EP transmission oil to the point of overflow. NOTE EP GL5 or Gl6 only,
post #13 of 19 Old 11-09-2017, 04:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
thats a newer style gearbox, newer style gearboxes will hold synthetic no problem
Not on the TOROS!!!!!!!!!! maybe other brands do. The gear boxes are the same from the POWERSHIFT ERA to the new stuff.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #14 of 19 Old 11-09-2017, 05:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
Not on the TOROS!!!!!!!!!! maybe other brands do. The gear boxes are the same from the POWERSHIFT ERA to the new stuff.
darn near, only difference today is they have a metal gasket between the 1/2's otherwise many almost all of the main inners and seals still have the same part number,
how do i know? , i took the time to look it up in toro.com my old 1988 624 against my 2017 928,
both still say about 4 ounces of EP/ extreme pressure gl 5 or gl6 gear oil just todays states 90w ep in place of 85-95 ep
post #15 of 19 Old 11-09-2017, 05:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 powershift View Post
darn near, only difference today is they have a metal gasket between the 1/2's otherwise many almost all of the main inners and seals still have the same part number,
how do i know? , i took the time to look it up in toro.com my old 1988 624 against my 2017 928,
both still say about 4 ounces of EP/ extreme pressure gl 5 or gl6 gear oil just todays states 90w ep in place of 85-95 ep
Well you know the enginers have to have something to do to fill there day oot. the old schools run a cork gasket, the POWERSHIFTS use HYLOMAR, so I would guess something new would have to come along.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #16 of 19 Old 11-09-2017, 05:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
YEP!!! the new have a gasket between the 1/2's, it's metal with rubber like material molded onto and reusable, just like a auto's automatic trans pan.
post #17 of 19 Old 07-30-2019, 06:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Can someone explain how the auger shaft oil seals on both sides of the gear box casing? I removed the old oil seal and bushings in one half of the gear box but the new replacement oil seal fits snugly but appears as though it could pop out after a period of runtime.
post #18 of 19 Old 08-01-2019, 02:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
Can someone explain how the auger shaft oil seals on both sides of the gear box casing? I removed the old oil seal and bushings in one half of the gear box but the new replacement oil seal fits snugly but appears as though it could pop out after a period of runtime.
It is a pressed in fit. they will not pop out if installed right. The Lip of the seal that rides on the shaft is what wears down over a period of time. from Use, temps and crap that gets trapped up it there. as for the certain design on how they make the seal and what is used in and how it is made. I have no BLOODY Clue what so ever. that might be a X-FILE Secret only known to a very few people. Hope this answered your question. otherwise if not than just CALL ME OOT HERE if you need anymore help in this subject matter at Hand.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #19 of 19 Old 08-01-2019, 09:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 636
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 940
Likes (Received): 1018
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10953 View Post
PS
another good sealer is prematex right stuff
https://www.permatex.com/product-cat...gasket-makers/

sealers have gotten so much better over the last few years, i have repaired motors that had long leaked from warped parts that no longer leak thanks to the newer sealers, yes it did teach this old dog some new tricks.
I agree . had a Honda HS622 leaking from axle seal. bought the best selling stop leak on amazon and followed direction to a T. it stopped the leak and did not leak the rest of winter ( as far as I knew ) did this for a friend.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page