LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 01-21-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
First Snowblower

I just purchased my first snowblower(wife almost flipped), a Toro Power Clear 418 Toro Power Clear 418 18 in. Single-Stage Electric Start Gas Snow Blower-38282 at The Home Depot.

I know it's not the best and one of the cheapest ones, price wise, that is sold but it was all we could really afford at this point in time. I really want this to last as long as possible and I want to make sure I take care of it properly. A few questions on maintenance and how to use it properly. Any do's/don't would be very helpful.

1. Should I push it through the snow at a certain speed?
2. What should i do immediately after I finish using it and store it in my shed?

Thanks VERY much!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-21-2014, 08:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 7
Congratulations on your first snowblower. I'm on my first one too this year and hence a new member to this forum. Bunch of good guys here it seems.

The one thing you can always fall back on apart from advice from others is to "read your owner's manual" - it will answer not only your two questions posed above, but many others. Make a habit of following the manufacturer's instructions, and you will rarely go wrong, at least in my humble experience.

That being said, this is as good a place as any to ask questions!

Good luck,

Dave

1998 Toro 622 Power Throw Model 38062
"We never get snow in Rhode Island"
post #3 of 26 Old 01-21-2014, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetD View Post
Congratulations on your first snowblower. I'm on my first one too this year and hence a new member to this forum. Bunch of good guys here it seems.

The one thing you can always fall back on apart from advice from others is to "read your owner's manual" - it will answer not only your two questions posed above, but many others. Make a habit of following the manufacturer's instructions, and you will rarely go wrong, at least in my humble experience.

That being said, this is as good a place as any to ask questions!

Good luck,

Dave
Thanks Dave, will do.

Last edited by mstrlucky74; 01-21-2014 at 08:41 PM.
post #4 of 26 Old 01-21-2014, 09:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 12
I can't really say for sure on how fast to push the blower since I've never actually used a single stage blower. I'm sure it falls into the realm of however fast you want to push it as long as it's able to keep throwing the snow without being overloaded.

As far as storage: If it's in-season then pretty much just brush off any snow that's on the machine and use some gas that has been treated with stabilizer. That way if it's a long time between snow storms, the gas inside won't get all funky and gum up the carburetor.
For off-season storage, there are a few threads on the site that talk about that topic quite extensively. Do a quick search and you'll be sure to find what you need

1972 Ariens 13/32 restored & repowered
1971 Ariens 7/24 (retired)
2011 Ariens Deluxe 24
1980 Ariens st7/24 (retired)
1985 Ariens st10/36
post #5 of 26 Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 8
I was taught by my Father and it hasn't let me down....When you are done with the snowblower for the day, shut it down, brush off all the snow, start the snowblower and let it run at idle for about five minutes to allow the excess snow to melt out of all the cracks.
post #6 of 26 Old 01-21-2014, 09:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 1
+1 on SweetD's reply, the owners manual is your fall back for basic operation and maintenance. Congrats on your 1st snow blower, I have the same model purchased a couple years ago to supplement my 2 stage. As far as pushing it into the snow, there is no need for most snow conditions. Most SS blowers are auger propelled, lifting up slightly will allow the auger to touch the pavement propelling the machine forward. With the 418, lift the handle slightly until the rear wheels are about an inch off the ground and it'll start moving forward. You'll know if your too high when snow starts being thrown back underneath the machine towards your feet. The only time you really need to push is for deeper piles or EOD stuff. I'm sure you'll find the 418 pretty capable for its size, it's krypton is super wet heavy slushy snow where it's pretty useless but that stuff is a challenge for any machine.

During the snow season, when done, just brush the excess snow and run the auger for a few seconds to clear out any residual.

If you haven't already, put a string on that key and loop it on the handle you don't want to lose that in the snow especially at night.

You may know this as well, the two ways to shut the engine off according to the manual is pulling the key out slightly or moving the choke lever to full choke. I prefer the latter rather than messing around with the key.

Last edited by fronos4; 01-21-2014 at 09:42 PM.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-21-2014, 09:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 10
Welcome to the site!

Not be be a downer, but for the price I would have looked at the Ariens Path-Pro 136. A bit wider and a larger motor. I believe the 136cc model is $399. -HOME DEPOT- carries it.

As far as your questions:

1. Pay attention to the engine feedback. The engine will let you know if you are going too fast for the amount of snow you're trying to blow. If it sounds like the engine is being overloaded, then you're probably going too fast for the amount/type of snow you have. The speed you go is all going to depend on how much snow you have and the density of the snow. The lighter stuff is much easier to blow than the wet/heavy stuff.

2. After I use it I let it run while I turn the fuel off in order to drain the carb of gas. While it's running I just brush off the outside and try to get it cleaned up the best I can so when/if it warms up and then freezes again you won't have issues with parts being froze.

Last edited by JRHAWK9; 01-21-2014 at 09:51 PM.
post #8 of 26 Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider22 View Post
I can't really say for sure on how fast to push the blower since I've never actually used a single stage blower. I'm sure it falls into the realm of however fast you want to push it as long as it's able to keep throwing the snow without being overloaded.

As far as storage: If it's in-season then pretty much just brush off any snow that's on the machine and use some gas that has been treated with stabilizer. That way if it's a long time between snow storms, the gas inside won't get all funky and gum up the carburetor.
For off-season storage, there are a few threads on the site that talk about that topic quite extensively. Do a quick search and you'll be sure to find what you need
Thanks
post #9 of 26 Old 01-21-2014, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by fronos4 View Post
+1 on SweetD's reply, the owners manual is your fall back for basic operation and maintenance. Congrats on your 1st snow blower, I have the same model purchased a couple years ago to supplement my 2 stage. As far as pushing it into the snow, there is no need for most snow conditions. Most SS blowers are auger propelled, lifting up slightly will allow the auger to touch the pavement propelling the machine forward. With the 418, lift the handle slightly until the rear wheels are about an inch off the ground and it'll start moving forward. You'll know if your too high when snow starts being thrown back underneath the machine towards your feet. The only time you really need to push is for deeper piles or EOD stuff. I'm sure you'll find the 418 pretty capable for its size, it's krypton is super wet heavy slushy snow where it's pretty useless but that stuff is a challenge for any machine.

During the snow season, when done, just brush the excess snow and run the auger for a few seconds to clear out any residual.

If you haven't already, put a string on that key and loop it on the handle you don't want to lose that in the snow especially at night.

You may know this as well, the two ways to shut the engine off according to the manual is pulling the key out slightly or moving the choke lever to full choke. I prefer the latter rather than messing around with the key.
Fronos....much appreciated
post #10 of 26 Old 01-21-2014, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
I was taught by my Father and it hasn't let me down....When you are done with the snowblower for the day, shut it down, brush off all the snow, start the snowblower and let it run at idle for about five minutes to allow the excess snow to melt out of all the cracks.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page