Snowblower not used since last oil change - Should I change oil now? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 01-13-2018, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Snowblower not used since last oil change - Should I change oil now?

Hello.

I have a Toro Power Clear 418 snowblower.

About a year ago, I tried to use the snowblower, but the snowblower wouldn't start.

I changed the engine oil, but the snowblower still did not start. I inserted a new sparkplug, but the snowblower still did not start.

I inserted some gasoline into the sparkplug hole, and the snowblower ran for a couple of seconds. So, the people on this forum came to the conclusion that the carb was the problem.

Over the summer of 2017, I removed the carb, cleaned the carb, and had a Home Depot employee clean the carb some more. I then reinserted the carb. However, I have not yet tested the snowblower to see whether the carb cleaning worked.

So, here is the bottom line: The engine oil that is currently in the snowblower, has been sitting there for about a year. I live in Chicago, and the oil has been sitting there since last winter. The snowblower has not been used since this current engine oil was inserted, except for the snowblower running for 2 seconds after the insertion of gasoline into the sparkplug hole.

If I'm planning to use the snowblower in the next few days (or weeks), should I change the engine oil first? Is there a chance that the current engine oil has been contaminated by condensation over the past year?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-13-2018, 01:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
Not all that much to worry about but you can always drain it and put in new oil. your not going to get that much condensation anyway so I would not waste it.

I would not hesitate to buy a new spark plug and a spare and gap it for the correct gap for your snow throwers engine.

You could have a bad plug to begin with where it will start the engine up and get hot and then croak and when it cools it will start again as the spark plug cooled and contracted just like a bad old coil will do the same thing.

I would buy premium fuel and seafoam to treat the fuel. I have used seafoam for years and it always helps all my small engines both 2 stroke and 4 stroke and my pickup as well.

Use the seafoam in the new gas and let it sit for a day as it should help a lot to break up any gum or varnish from the old fuel.

In my case I either shut the fuel tank off on the four stroke engines or drain the mixed gas out of my 2 cycle engines each time I am done with them but I leave the mixed gas in the snow throwers during the winter if I am using them every day.
post #3 of 22 Old 01-13-2018, 06:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 30
Get the thing running before you worry about the oil. If you change the oil again and still cant get it running, you've wasted two oil changes.

There's just one thing I'll guarantee , the best things in life, they sure AIN'T FREE !!

88 Craftsman II Trac-Plus 10/32 [wheeled conversion]
71 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 [Predator 6.5 repower]
72 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 with original Tecumseh H60
7? Ariens Tractor with rotary mower attachment [Tecumseh HSK100 repower]
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Prime liked this post
post #4 of 22 Old 01-13-2018, 07:08 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #5 of 22 Old 01-13-2018, 07:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 307
Likes (Received): 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
Jack, Seriously? 168 posts last year trying to get a jet cleaned and you never started it?
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...not-start.html
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...nowblower.html
Wow, that's serious research man. Yeah it's showtime or start a new thread on moving the PC 418 to the curb and getting a new blower.

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #6 of 22 Old 01-13-2018, 07:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Received): 17
Use fresh gas. If you have gas in the tank from last year, drain it out before you try to start it again.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-13-2018, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezlfan View Post
Get the thing running before you worry about the oil. If you change the oil again and still cant get it running, you've wasted two oil changes.
I was concerned that, if there was condensation and therefore water, then starting the blower could get the water into the engine and cause more problems.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-13-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony P. View Post
Use fresh gas. If you have gas in the tank from last year, drain it out before you try to start it again.
The gas tank has been empty for a while. The gas will be fresh.
post #9 of 22 Old 01-13-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
Jack, Seriously? 168 posts last year trying to get a jet cleaned and you never started it?
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...not-start.html
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...nowblower.html

Last winter, except for that one time I tried to use the blower, we did not have any significant snow. I thought that this winter would give us more of the same.
post #10 of 22 Old 01-13-2018, 02:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack28 View Post
I was concerned that, if there was condensation and therefore water, then starting the blower could get the water into the engine and cause more problems.
I wouldn't worry about it. Get the engine running first. Then, if you really want to, change the oil.

But at least check the oil level before starting it. Too low is bad, of course, but too high is also bad, especially if the oil smells like gas (due to fuel contaminating the oil).

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Likes jonnied12 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page