Stator & heated grip question, How much power - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 01-14-2018, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 101
Likes (Received): 243
Stator & heated grip question, How much power

How many Watts is normal on these engines, I have a 254cc LTC from a Husqvarna I think a ST227P and doing a little searching found Jacks small engines list the stator (They call it alternator) But list it as a 60W which I thought was high to what you usually find, Although I know Husqvarna puts 2 lights and heated grips so might explain why the higher watts but is 60W higher than normal or is that average. May just add those heated ebay grip warmers if there is extra power just for the fun of it.

Also another question, I am installing the light, The engine has a double wire which I assume is one for the lights and the other for the grips, Would I need a second rectifier for the grips as I think they are DC for the cheap heated grips.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.

Last edited by Dauntae; 01-14-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-14-2018, 08:26 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 525
You won't be able to install heated grips if your output is only 60 Watts, that's a 5 amp output, they don't come much smaller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-14-2018, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hmm I am getting different results from this thread https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...and-grips.html Seems a lot of Tec engines had only 18w and the machines that had grips and lights were at 50w but I will have to check with the meter to be sure, I know Heqvarna has lights and grips that this engine came off of so Not sure if 60w is too little.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
post #4 of 24 Old 01-14-2018, 08:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
In terms of a rectifier, I doubt you'd need one. Heated grips are just, well, heaters. Resistive loads, like heaters, or incandescent bulbs, don't care if you give them AC or DC.

For capacity, my machine has a headlight, and heated grips. The Tecumseh engine parts list shows an alternator part # of 611104. Small Engine Parts Warehouse shows this when you search:

"TE-Alt-611104 5/3 Amp Alternator to fit HM80-100, OHM80-120, TVM195-220 engines with external magneto"

Now, if mine has 2 outputs, 3A (36W @ 12V) and 5A (60W @ 12V), maybe the light is on one, and the heated grips are on the other. The machine is 110V electric start, so it's not using either of the outputs for charging a battery.

So either 5A is enough for a light & heated grips, or it's 3A for one, 5A for the other. Either way, if you didn't have enough juice, you could go to an LED light, to free up some power for grips.

Also, *if* grips are normally wired in parallel (I don't know), then you could wire them in series. You'd get significantly less heat out of them, but you'd also reduce their draw, to avoid overloading the alternator.

Checking the draw of an item is straightforward enough, you could connect it to a 12V car battery, and measure the current draw. But measuring the output of an alternator seems less straightfoward to me. You could connect additional 12V lights of known wattages, and see when the voltage output dropped off to below ~12V. But I don't know if just pushing until you overload the alternator might overheat it, or otherwise do some harm.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 01-14-2018 at 08:54 PM.
post #5 of 24 Old 01-14-2018, 08:54 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 525
By putting then in series you'd only get a quarter of the power to each.

''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
post #6 of 24 Old 01-14-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
This is not a Tec engine, It is off of a more recent ST227P Husqvarna, I put the engine on a Sno-Tec24" and having fun building up the backup blower so cheap add ons are getting added, I have the rec. and a LED ready to add and looked up the parts for the Husqvarna and it says it's a 60w alternator that is used with the heated grips and 2 led"s on the 227 so just researching this. There are 2 wires but could not find any wiring schematics on the LCT engine so will have to learn how to check what is coming out with the meter.

post #7 of 24 Old 01-14-2018, 09:00 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 04:52 PM.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-14-2018, 09:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
By putting then in series you'd only get a quarter of the power to each.
Yup, sorry, I didn't clarify the exact power difference. Like I said, much less effective at warming you up. But hey, if it's some heat, or none at all, I'd rather have *something*

And if an overloaded alternator wouldn't be damaged, but would still provide, say, 10V with the heaters in parallel, then your light would be somewhat dim, but you'd still get significantly more heat than if wiring them in series at 12V total, 6V/heater.

Or, heck, wire it on a switch to run a single heater at a time, and trade off which hand gets to be comfy. There are multiple options for how to tackle the problem, fortunately. And LED lights, or no lights at all, can also help. A more-reasonable option might be to have the switch toggle between the light, or heaters. Pick your poison, based on the weather, light, and what you're doing. For clearing EOD at night, deal with cold fingers. And when safely in the driveway itself, warm your hands up.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #9 of 24 Old 01-14-2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I will continue the research on this, Thank you all for the info so far and hopefully all works out, Worst case I will run them in series wrapped on the outside of the grips with the heat shrink but hoping I can run them in parallel, Really need to learn more electrical as that is my weak point., Or maybe get a smaller LED LOL The set says 18W but only running one but not sure if the 18W is for one or both? Theses are the lights I used.

Last edited by Dauntae; 01-14-2018 at 09:12 PM.
post #10 of 24 Old 01-14-2018, 09:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The listing says "2x 18W", so I'm guessing each light assembly draws 18W, or 36W for the pair, if that's what you're talking about.

By putting a multimeter inline (in series) with a single light, and connecting it to a 12V car battery, you could measure the amperage draw of the light. If it's right around 1.5A, then that's 18W for the single light. And if it's only 0.75A, then great, the light is only drawing 9W, and it was 18W for the pair together.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page