LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-15-2018, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens ST1028SLE chute deflector cable

When the weather is above freezing, the cable which operates the chute deflector works fine. When it gets below freezing, I'm able to get a few driveway clearings done before something freezes in the cable and the deflector is unable to be raised or lowered via the control handle. The control handle gets a little stiff, but still moves the full range of up or down. The exposed cable at the end closest to the deflector doesn't move, and thus won't raise or lower the deflector. The deflector can easily be manually moved up or down, so the problem isn't with a freezing hinge on the deflector. As soon as I get a good winter thaw, or during the warmer months, the thing operates no problem via the control cable.

I see the replacement part number as 06945700, but wondering if there's a way to fix this or if I need to replace it. If I replace it, can anyone suggest where I could get an inexpensive replacement? (maybe around $20) if replacement is the only option please personal message me with any cheap replacement suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-15-2018, 07:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I believe they changed the cable routing from coming in on the bottom to coming in on the top on the deflector end. Is there enough slack in your cable to route it through the top? This will prevent water from running down into the cable.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-15-2018, 07:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Pics would help understand your setup. But like Shryp said, if you can have the ends of the cable pointing down, that should help.

Barring that, maybe put a piece of rubber over the end of the cable, with a tiny hole in it, then slide the cable through the hole? Just to help try and seal up gaps, to keep water out of the cable housing.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #4 of 9 Old 01-16-2018, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys, both great suggestions. I also plan on lubing the cable with WD-40. I'm going to buy the cable luber I've seen a few posts on this forum refer to:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...SABEgK7LPD_BwE

Not associated with that website at all, just thought it was a good deal.

I'll have to take a look to see if I can re-route the cable to come from the top..ultimately that seems like it would be the best solution, just to let gravity keep the moisture from settling in there, and I'm sure a rubber boot wouldn't hurt in addition to the re-route. I'm going to look around and see what I can come up with for the cable cover. I might use a piece of flexible tubing and just seal up the top end with a glob of silicone caulk.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-16-2018, 09:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 256
I would strongly suggest NOT using WD-40. WD-40 is not intended for use as a lubricant for moving parts. It's basically just kerosene in a spray can!

I used to use a spray lubricant called Wurth HHS-2000 but it's been discontinued and replaced by a product called "HHS plus". I recently used that on the cable on my machine and when using the machine in 10-degree temperatures it was so thick you could hardly move the lever.

So I'm debating whether to try conventional grease or motor oil. The oil probably would get into the cable and lubricate better, the grease would repel water better.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-16-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I would prefer something in a spray, that's easily available from like Wal-Mart or AutoZone, etc..with some sort of tube that lets me direct the stuff in tight places. I'm sure this topic has come up before, but wondering what everyone else uses in spray form for the snow machines?

I was thinking of this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WD-40-SP...0012/204500174

Last edited by Arthur2018; 01-16-2018 at 09:33 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-16-2018, 10:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 158
Garage
Hey guys....

I use Zep 2000 for just about everything. It sprays on as a liquid and dries to a light coating of lithium grease. With the little tube attached to the spray nozzle you can use to Pinpoint location. Spray it on and move or operate the joint that you are lubricating, and this will suck the lubricant into the joint. When the accelerant evaporates it leaves behind a light coating of lithium grease. I use this on all my vehicles and snow blowers.
Great stuff.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower
post #8 of 9 Old 01-16-2018, 10:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELaw View Post
I would strongly suggest NOT using WD-40. WD-40 is not intended for use as a lubricant for moving parts. It's basically just kerosene in a spray can!

I used to use a spray lubricant called Wurth HHS-2000 but it's been discontinued and replaced by a product called "HHS plus". I recently used that on the cable on my machine and when using the machine in 10-degree temperatures it was so thick you could hardly move the lever.

So I'm debating whether to try conventional grease or motor oil. The oil probably would get into the cable and lubricate better, the grease would repel water better.
I agree with that. I hardly use WD 40 anymore. I find as a penetrating lube, CRC Marine works phenomenally. I had a sticky lock in my hatch on my SUV, the CRC cleared it right up, and kept it lubed.

Anyway, if you can get some shrink sleeving over the end of the cable, try that to keep water out in the future. It will allow the cable to move, but provide a slightly better, not totally waterproof, seal than without it.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-16-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, great idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page