LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 01-15-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 29
Impeller Modification

I pulled the chains from my circa 1990 Craftsmans 8/26. Still have not made a decision on which new tires to get so I will run what I have if we get any snow the Toro can't handle which is not likely.

I decided to add an impeller kit. Pulled the chute and actually measured and cut some material from an old swing set then decided against using that material thinking it would be too soft and if it did not hold up I'd be cutting more holes for new paddles.

Not really a waste of time since it gave me a chance to size everything up and think the install over.

So anyone have any advice or comments? I notice the gap goes from about 1/4" on the edge nearest the engine to about 3/8" towards the augers. It seems intentional. Not sure why they would engineer that gap to open up as it heads toward the front of the machine.

The gap opens sharply to prob 1/2" just where the vane turns 90 deg and forms what I would call a cutter that I assume must chop and hold the snow to consolidate the load on the vane before it gets thrown. Should I add material onto or up to that 90 or stay back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-15-2018, 07:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
i usually drill/tap the holes in the impeller vanes 1st.

I'll then lay the rubber on the impeller vane and rotate the impeller holding the rubber in place...after a turn or 2 you'll locate the tightest gaps.

Once I'm happy with the rubber placement, I transfer the holes using an awl (I use an old ice-pick).

Remove the rubber and drill (or punch) holes then fasten.

Once it's fastened, turn the impeller...if it's a little tight, that's ok; the impeller housing will shave it to size. If you can't turn it by hand, you may need to trim the rubber a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

Last edited by classiccat; 01-16-2018 at 06:34 AM.
post #3 of 29 Old 01-15-2018, 11:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
The widening gap is probably the result of impeller deformation. Over time the blades press against the backing plate when under load. The gussets drive the plate back, forming a wavy back plate. That deformation cause the blades to lean inward and away from the impeller housing.

Pete
post #4 of 29 Old 01-15-2018, 11:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
The widening gap is probably the result of impeller deformation. Over time the blades press against the backing plate when under load. The gussets drive the plate back, forming a wavy back plate. That deformation cause the blades to lean inward and away from the impeller housing.

Pete
Sorry to say I don't agree with your logic. There is no rearward pressure to the point of deformity. The gussets are there to make it more rigid since the steel isn't all that thick. I have never seen a bent Impeller plate from only snow and besides according to your logic if the back plate bends then the Impeller tips parallel to the housing would have an uneven gap front to back.The gap was put there from the get go. Go into the big box stores and look real carefully. Brand new out of the box it has a decent gap. Only top of the line maybe are better.
post #5 of 29 Old 01-15-2018, 11:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 148
just made mine w/an old tire, now waiting for some decent amount of snow to test it out

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

post #6 of 29 Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 178
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post
just made mine w/an old tire, now waiting for some decent amount of snow to test it out
you will love it single best thing you can do to a blower
besides making sure the motor is at 3600rpm
low rpm really effects throw distance and clogs much easier
post #7 of 29 Old 01-15-2018, 11:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Received): 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1132le View Post
you will love it single best thing you can do to a blower
besides making sure the motor is at 3600rpm
low rpm really effects throw distance and clogs much easier
post #8 of 29 Old 01-15-2018, 11:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 148
we had a couple of inches of really heavy wet snow which i shoveled into mounds and then got the sb to finish it off, threw it a good 30', but wasnt much snow to continuously get it in the bucket .hence still waiting on a good amount of snow to fall. excited lol

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

post #9 of 29 Old 01-16-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
The widening gap is probably the result of impeller deformation. Over time the blades press against the backing plate when under load. The gussets drive the plate back, forming a wavy back plate. That deformation cause the blades to lean inward and away from the impeller housing. Pete
I don't want to dismiss this out of hand and will take a careful look at the vanes. Having said, this older machine is pretty heavily constructed (manual dated 1988/sold 1991) and lightly used. The impeller still has a lot/most of its paint.

If the vanes did flex they did it very uniformly and I would guess that that much deflection over such a short distance (3 3/4") would have leave evidence in the form of stress cracks in the paint on the underside. I will give that a good look.

I do have evidence of one ding in the impeller housing that I want to bang back into place but to my eye the impeller vanes themselves all seemed undamaged and spin w/o wobble.
post #10 of 29 Old 01-16-2018, 03:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Received): 17
In the view of many, this is the single best improvement you can make. When making it myself, I focused on the rubber used, settled on SBR and purchased a 2X36" 3/8" thick piece that worked well. You can also use neoprene which may work even better than SBR.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Jatoxico liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page