lack of power after changing ignition coil - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-15-2018, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
lack of power after changing ignition coil

I changed the coil on my Husqvarna st324p. Since then, I feel that my choke does not work well. I must say that I made a mistake in going up the snowblower because I forgot to screw the spark plug and it worked a few minutes before I realize it. I wonder if this can be the cause of the problem. When I remove the choke, the engine does not turn fast enough and lacks strength to blow the snow. Is my candle to be replaced? Should something be replaced? Can I get something wrong? What should I do to restore power to my snowblower? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-16-2018, 05:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 30
I'm not sure since I have never worked on a LCT winter engine but many older engines require a static timing procedure to install the coil correctly. Did you just unbolt the old coil and bolt the new one on?

There's just one thing I'll guarantee , the best things in life, they sure AIN'T FREE !!

88 Craftsman II Trac-Plus 10/32 [wheeled conversion]
71 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 [Predator 6.5 repower]
72 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 with original Tecumseh H60
7? Ariens Tractor with rotary mower attachment [Tecumseh HSK100 repower]
post #3 of 11 Old 01-16-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezlfan View Post
I'm not sure since I have never worked on a LCT winter engine but many older engines require a static timing procedure to install the coil correctly. Did you just unbolt the old coil and bolt the new one on?
Yes. But there were a lot of pieces to disassemble to join the coil ... There were two small springs that were unhooked that I struggled to put back, including one that I did not see where he had to hang up. I assumed he had to hang in a small hole in a piece of metal. Once hung up there, it seemed to be the right place because the mechanism was moving properly ... But I'm not mecano ... I must also specify that the coil is not an original Husqvarna, I do not know not if that can be the cause ...
post #4 of 11 Old 01-16-2018, 12:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 30
The two possibilities that I see being the problem as you describe it are the new coil or the carburetor linkage. I'm afraid that we might need some photos of the linkage to see what might have gone wrong.

There's just one thing I'll guarantee , the best things in life, they sure AIN'T FREE !!

88 Craftsman II Trac-Plus 10/32 [wheeled conversion]
71 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 [Predator 6.5 repower]
72 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 with original Tecumseh H60
7? Ariens Tractor with rotary mower attachment [Tecumseh HSK100 repower]
post #5 of 11 Old 01-16-2018, 12:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 44
Did you have to remove the carburetor to change out your ignition components? It sounds like you don't have the throttle and choke linkages on correctly. When you put the new magneto on did they give you a piece of cardboard or heavy paper to use as a spacer to the flywheel?
post #6 of 11 Old 01-16-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhazelton View Post
Did you have to remove the carburetor to change out your ignition components? It sounds like you don't have the throttle and choke linkages on correctly. When you put the new magneto on did they give you a piece of cardboard or heavy paper to use as a spacer to the flywheel?
No, I didn't have to remove the carburetor. I removed the two buttons, the choke and the throttle. No, there was no cardboard to figure the space between the flywheel and the magneto, but I had read that I could use a business card, which I did. I also made sure the flywheel was spinning freely before going up. I will take pictures of the buttons that I put back if it can help.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-17-2018, 10:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 44
That should be good, many times you just use the piece of cardstock that the instructions for the magneto are printed on to set the air gap.

IF YOU ARE CERTAIN that you put the linkages back on correctly it sounds like your high speed idle circuit is plugged and you need to clean the carb. If it won't run without choke that's usually the issue.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #8 of 11 Old 01-18-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
[QUOTE=dhazelton;1446346
IF YOU ARE CERTAIN that you put the linkages back on correctly it sounds like your high speed idle circuit is plugged and you need to clean the carb. If it won't run without choke that's usually the issue.[/QUOTE]

How can it be possible to put the linkages back incorrectly, I mean is there only one way to do this?

Can I just put carburetor cleaner in the carburetor without disassembling it completely? Or Seafoam in the gaz tank?
post #9 of 11 Old 01-18-2018, 12:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredartic View Post
How can it be possible to put the linkages back incorrectly, I mean is there only one way to do this?

Can I just put carburetor cleaner in the carburetor without disassembling it completely? Or Seafoam in the gaz tank?
yes, there are more than one hole in the linkages, throttle control , throttle plate and governor arm.
u can use seafoam but it needs a running engine.
u can just remove carb bowl and spray carb cleaner in and around the carb and up the main venturi, through the choke opening. make sure to reinstall bowl in correct orientation. many vids on howto. best of course is to remove carb completely to clean, not hard to do or require special tools

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 01-18-2018 at 12:21 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-18-2018, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3832
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
Did the engine run properly and the choke too before you replaced the coil ?? Did you replace the coil because you lost spark ?? How long did the engine sit not running ??

I'm learning in my old age to always take photos when I'm disassembling something. The more photos and angles the better. As you say about the springs : There were two small springs that were unhooked that I struggled to put back, including one that I did not see where he had to hang up.
That sounds like you're not sure they are back on correctly. They might be throttle or they might be governor. We really need some photos of your machine and it might even be more helpful if you can track down another st324p with the same engine to take photos of and compare to yours.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page