post #1 of 24 Old 01-16-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 119
Replacement Carb for HMSK100 MTD 10HP

Hello everybody!
I am new here. I just wanted to hear what people think about getting an aftermarket carb and which one they recommend. I have a 10HP MTD machine and it is a HMSK100. I searched and it appears the matching carb would be a 632370A. First off, is that correct? Secondly, what is a good replacement brand to use. I know there are really cheap ones on Ebay for $15, but it looks like its worth it to spend a bit more and buy the Oregon compatible one which is #50-663 (please let me know if I'm right on this too). Is there anything else that would be good as or better as a replacement carb? Also any tips on the procedure to replace the carb would be most appreciated. Oh, and another thing. One of the tabs on my electric start broke off and it works fine but now I have to figure out a way to mount it back on somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-16-2018, 10:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 5
Last year I installed an IZTOR carb from Amazon on my neighbor's Craftsman with a 10HP Tecumseh, it was around $20 (Canadian).
When I looked at the cost of a rebuild kit + my time to drill out and replace the welch plugs etc, it was a 'no brainer'. I was tempted to take it apart and check the float height etc, but I just bolted it on. The engine fired up and all I had to do was adjust the idle and high speed jets.
Different model to yours, but I hope this helps?

Al.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dannoman liked this post
post #3 of 24 Old 01-16-2018, 11:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Do not order a carb unless it has an aluminum fuel bowl, some are steel.

I prefer to order from a company that has an 800#, offers free returns and exchanges if the carb isn't right. ROP Shoppe is one company.I

Examine the fuel line, consider replacing that; same for the primer line and bulb.I

If the fuel line does not need to be replaced, look at the ends, they may need to be clipped. Do not use the screw hose clamps, use the squeeze type.

Oregon and Stens are big name brands but I've also had success with no name brands. All the carbs are Chinese made. I go by the above and the feedback stars.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale

Last edited by JLawrence08648; 01-16-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Likes jrom liked this post
post #4 of 24 Old 01-16-2018, 11:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 55
Likes (Received): 172
Myself, unless a carb had massive physical damage, I'd never consider a third party replacement over a stupidly simple and quick rebuild. Welch plug removal and replacement adds maybe 3 minutes to the job . . . and you know the original carb fits correctly!
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #5 of 24 Old 01-16-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Kootenay View Post
Last year I installed an IZTOR carb from Amazon on my neighbor's Craftsman with a 10HP Tecumseh, it was around $20 (Canadian).
When I looked at the cost of a rebuild kit + my time to drill out and replace the welch plugs etc, it was a 'no brainer'. I was tempted to take it apart and check the float height etc, but I just bolted it on. The engine fired up and all I had to do was adjust the idle and high speed jets.
Different model to yours, but I hope this helps?

Al.
Yes this helps a lot. I guess it's worth a shot at just $20 and if it works you're laughing. If not, no big loss and try again. I was just a bit leery of buying a "cheap" carb but if they work then why not? I'll check out the IZTOR and see if they have a compatible one for my machine. Cheers!
post #6 of 24 Old 01-16-2018, 11:29 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
those ebay carbs are great. you can swap over your old float bowl no problem if your concerned about the steel. to me its not even worth rebuilding tecumseh carbs when you can get a new one for 7 dollars
post #7 of 24 Old 01-16-2018, 11:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
I agree to rebuilding carbs. i always rebuild the carb first but it had to be rebuilt correct. The T carbs are good carbs. A rebuild kit is $5. However you need to soak the carb and remove the side Welch plug. I did a good post many months ago on rebuilding carbs.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks tadawson thanked for this post
Likes jrom liked this post
post #8 of 24 Old 01-16-2018, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Myself, unless a carb had massive physical damage, I'd never consider a third party replacement over a stupidly simple and quick rebuild. Welch plug removal and replacement adds maybe 3 minutes to the job . . . and you know the original carb fits correctly!

I hear you. But I am not that great with the tiny parts and stuff so I am thinking to remove and replace and keep the old one so I fiddle around with it at my leasure. Thanks very much for your insight. I will keep the old carb for sure.
post #9 of 24 Old 01-16-2018, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
Do not order a carb unless it has an aluminum fuel bowl, some are steel.

I prefer to order from a company that has an 800#, offers free returns and exchanges if the carb isn't right. ROP Shoppe is one company.I

Examine the fuel line, consider replacing that; same for the primer line and bulb.I

If the fuel line does not need to be replaced, look at the ends, they may need to be clipped. Do not use the screw hose clamps, use the squeeze type.

Oregon and Stens are big name brands but I've also had success with no name brands. All the carbs are Chinese made. I go by the above and the feedback stars.
Good advice. Thanks! This site is amazing. Thank you everybody!
post #10 of 24 Old 01-16-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
those ebay carbs are great. you can swap over your old float bowl no problem if your concerned about the steel. to me its not even worth rebuilding tecumseh carbs when you can get a new one for 7 dollars
Frankly, it amazed me how cheap the carbs are selling for. Yes, I am keeping my old carb so I can swap the bowl if need be. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page